• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which 1/8 scale brushless ESC

Bert_w164

Hi,

I'm after a decent but not super expensive ESC...Its going in another Hyper 7, but this will be a basher, probably running 16-18t pinion on a 4068 1950kv motor (as I have spare pinions, motor and batteries) 

There won't be an appetite to make this faster or slap on 6S for the simple reason our other Hyper 7 is sitting on road tyres set up for speed runs...

Sooo...120a or 150a? Is it still a case of buy Hobbywing or go home? I see Hobbyking/Turnigy/GoolRC do ESCs but don't want another Surpass Hobby type ESC that sets it self alight...My other H7 runs a XR8 Plus, but that's overkill for this one we're setting up.

Get a Max8 and don't worry again about blowing up an ESC.

Yeah they're initially more expensive than cheapies, but on the other hand, they're cheaper than two cheapies after the first one goes kaputt. 

ESCs also don't go off. Having a Max8 in the house is always handy. 

• Like 1

I second the Max 8 ESC, my max 8 (2200kv) combo powered my VTE to nearly 90mph and its in my rally car which does 75 on a 20t, great little combo

Edited by Logie

Bloody RC cars, I take a break from the V8 1:1 car in the hope my new hobby wil be cheaper than running a 9mpg daily driver, and I'm not so sure anymore. Sounds like it has to be a Hobbywing Max8. So much for a cheaper alternative hobby. 

8 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

There's no such thing as a cheap hobby. 😉

TRUTH if you get into any hobby it can easily clean you out, as its your hobby, i would reccomend not putting it on credit card, the costs are ongoing with repairs and upgrades, it will eat into repayments aka dont get a credit card!
MAX8 Will last you a long time, watch out for water in the power switch, it can get in via the reset button thats not rubber sheilded and make it glitch, otherwise its a powerhouse, start saving for new tires and strong glue, belted or fishingwire your tires is a must for 6s imo on the hyper. They will explode 😄

Edited by Redback

Guys, this is for the Mrs. Mine has a Xerun XR8 Plus, 6S, GRP S7 tyres etc. It's setup for onroad speed. 

The second which I'm building now was meant to be a humble basher...hence I was trying to do a bit of cost saving and go with a 120a/36XX motor...

My mates went for cheap alternative, 1 caught fire and 1 just died, motors seem ok but i think its the capacitors or something on the cheaper copies. Or maybe look out for a rebranded ESC, like the stuff that comes off Hobao cars. (Mate is using my VS ESC in wr8 to run 4s)

Someone compiled a list

Edited by Logie
  • Like 2

Amazing stuff guys, that list is super helpful - I'm not suggesting another Surpass Hobby or anything silly like that. More so was looking at Hobby Wings more affordable stuff. 

I've dealt with an ESC fire a couple of weeks back, destroyed two good lipos because of it, lesson learned. 

Edited by Bert_w164

4 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

im running the 100 amp version in my hyper vse, it is the stock esc it comes with 🙂

Very interesting! Thanks, and what motor are you running friend? 

Just now, Bert_w164 said:

Very interesting! Thanks, and what motor are you running friend? 

stock motor as well i think it is a 2200kv and on 4s, the 150 amp one comes with the 6s vse and my 100 amp one is limited to 4s.

• Like 1

Okay, so the options are:

- Hobbywing WP-8BL 150a from AliExpress (which may be the Quicrun 150 in OEM disguise???) for £57.xx with 20% VAT paid, shipped in two weeks

- Hobbywing Quicrun 150a from Aliexpress - £75.xx

- Hobbywing Quicrun 150a from UK suppliers for £88 - 

- Hobbywing Max8 from Wheelspin with free delivery - £99

- Hobbywing Max8 from Aliexpress, more expensive than UK suppliers lol. 

I think the price of the Quicrun makes it a redundant option. A Max8 can be had for not much more. The compelling one to me is the WP-8BL, but then again the delta between that and the Max8 is only £40 - and I'm suspecting the Max8 has been made to be more durable etc. 

I've have a few of the WP8BL from aliexpress, they are hobbywing and some say quicrun, some dont, and they are fine for 1/8 4s/6s. Your money, your choice. The Max are just a new range, who knows if they are any better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, locky said:

I've have a few of the WP8BL from aliexpress, they are hobbywing and some say quicrun, some dont, and they are fine for 1/8 4s/6s. Your money, your choice. The Max are just a new range, who knows if they are any better.

This is the kind of thing I wanted to know - that helps a lot! 

18 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Okay, so the options are:

- Hobbywing WP-8BL 150a from AliExpress (which may be the Quicrun 150 in OEM disguise???) for £57.xx with 20% VAT paid, shipped in two weeks

- Hobbywing Quicrun 150a from Aliexpress - £75.xx

- Hobbywing Quicrun 150a from UK suppliers for £88 - 

- Hobbywing Max8 from Wheelspin with free delivery - £99

- Hobbywing Max8 from Aliexpress, more expensive than UK suppliers lol. 

I think the price of the Quicrun makes it a redundant option. A Max8 can be had for not much more. The compelling one to me is the WP-8BL, but then again the delta between that and the Max8 is only £40 - and I'm suspecting the Max8 has been made to be more durable etc. 

You are right, no point getting the HW for a tenner difference... I guess it just depends upon your budget.. And how soon you want to get back on the V8!!!

I have had Hobbyking escs in a few guises  with no issue and I've also had a max 8 system too with no issues.. Can't comment on the rest I'm afraid..

• Thanks 1

What about the Mamba Monster 2?  The simpler non-sensored one.  About 90 quid at Amain at present with voucher and most guys on here seem to have avoided any additional charges from the US recently too...  Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bertberr said:

What about the Mamba Monster 2?  The simpler non-sensored one.  About 90 quid at Amain at present with voucher and most guys on here seem to have avoided any additional charges from the US recently too...  Just a thought.

Really? Got Castle combo comming, it was like £170 cheaper then buying in the UK, be sweet if no extra costs come in

If your not worried about 6s, Thought about the WP-SC8, I don't run 6s, Have had a few SC8 over the years, And like the it's big brothers, It's never put a foot wrong and can be picked up for less than 50 quid, Why pay an extra 40-50 quid for an option you may never use.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I have an SC8 too, great ESC been in loads of my rigs over the years, but didn't think they even made them any longer?  Would be a bit worried that you can still get one off ebay so easily... they were popular amongst the fake fraternity at one time.

• Thanks 1