• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

1 hour ago, Bajadre said:

Great job on those arms Mr  Fro  👍 wish we had these printers years ago 😁 every kids fantasy growing up being able to print rc parts 😄

Yeah, they're handy things to have. I'd like to make the parts from filled nylon but somebody broke the injection moulding machine. 🤨

I'm not holding out too much hope that the parts will last the distance but it's worth a punt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

I thought I'd better do something about my broken suspension arm so I modelled it in Cad:

434699215_RhinoLowerArm.PNG.17ecf4e8bd8abc95f5f66b128cb3b847.PNG

Then printed some out. The two on the left are FDM PLA (no infill) , the next two are SLA Tough resin and the original on the right:

20221019_183032.thumb.jpg.5ad5ca321f790b82991c705cd943b762.jpg

Holding an SLA print over the original looks about right:

20221019_183115.thumb.jpg.e90dfc55f8dbf9938dcf15f6ce4b8079.jpg

The SLA has a bit more flex than the original and the FDM feels about right. I'm expecting the SLA to be quite brittle too.

I'm taking my son to the park next week to rag the Rhinos about so we'll see how they do.

Good effort! From what I've looked at, Tough PLA seems like the best option for useable/easy to print RC parts, with the bonus of not needing the fume extraction like Nylon and ABS. I think that's gonna be my plan when I get my 3D printing up and running again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReggieC said:

Good effort! From what I've looked at, Tough PLA seems like the best option for useable/easy to print RC parts, with the bonus of not needing the fume extraction like Nylon and ABS. I think that's gonna be my plan when I get my 3D printing up and running again.

The main reason I used the materials I did was because they were already set up on the printers. 😁

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ReggieC said:

I use pla tough for tons of RC parts and have no issues with them. Some on my sporty have been abused for well over 6 months and still going strong with hardly a mark. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

Nice, how did it go compared to tamiya

Not had the chance to run the XV01 but it’s night and day difference over my old TT02 .

Needs a couple of little tweaks but other than that it’s looking a nice handling rally chassis. 

• Like 3