• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommendations for brushless off-road RTR truck sub £250

bigbadbond

Hi all,

As black friday deals will be coming up in a couple of weeks, I was planning on getting a new brushless RTR truck or stadium truck for park bashing. I'm after something that is not going to break too easily and has some decent power. I will be using 2S Lipo batteries. I was looking at the FTX Carnage brushless but the motor looks to be a smaller 380 motor? I would love to get the Team Associated MT10 but that is a bit out of my price range. Any other suggestions? HPI Maverick maybe? I'm UK based so needs to be available in the UK and parts need to be readily available. Sub £250 ideally.

Thanks

Thanks, I’ll take a look at those. I’ve never bought a used truck before. Where’s the best place to look? Usual eBay or are there dedicated RC car sales sites? 

3 minutes ago, bigbadbond said:

Thanks, I’ll take a look at those. I’ve never bought a used truck before. Where’s the best place to look? Usual eBay or are there dedicated RC car sales sites? 

Ebay, facebook market place and facebook has some dedicated rc car sale groups

• Like 1

Have you seen the Mjx hyper go series. Only 1/14 scale, but highly capable, brushless, run on 2s and 3s, excellent for bashing, several you tube videos on them 😀

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wombat said:

Have you seen the Mjx hyper go series. Only 1/14 scale, but highly capable, brushless, run on 2s and 3s, excellent for bashing, several you tube videos on them 😀

Good suggestion, the MJX Hyper go range are stonkingly strong, fast and reliable, most only take a 2200mmah size battery but pretty good run times and fast delivery from Banggood

• Like 2

Yeah, I was looking at the gorgon but it's only 2WD and is brushed. I was after a brushless 4WD. Thanks for the suggestion though. All good fun looking into these things 🙂

• Like 2

I have a maverick quantum flux, it was cheap but there was some issues with it to begin with, i have probably easy spent north of £150 on parts to make it what it is today which is a reliable model now that doesnt really break  when I take it out plus some engineering which required having the use of a pillar drill and a tap and die set,  what i should have done was buy an arrma big rock/granite or an associated mt10 which would have been less money than what i spent to get it to the standard of 1 of these, i know these are above your target cost but i think you would be better off in the end

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. That's interesting about the Maverick Quantum Flux. I was very close to ordering one, but I think I might shell out some extra cash and go for the Associated MT10. Maybe it will come down in price for Black Friday! Ha, yeah right!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbond said:

Thanks for the advice guys. That's interesting about the Maverick Quantum Flux. I was very close to ordering one, but I think I might shell out some extra cash and go for the Associated MT10. Maybe it will come down in price for Black Friday! Ha, yeah right!

Youre definitely spending a bit more and going for the MT10. You dont want to buy an off brand and struggle to get parts. Unfortunately £250 for a 4wd brushless truck is pushing it, unless you go for a smaller scale? Black Friday isnt really a thing in RC, at least not for popular stuff.

6 hours ago, bigbadbond said:

I mean dont get me wrong, it was fun upgrading and doing bits and pieces to the quantum, i think the idea they were going for was you bought the car cheap and then you upgraded it as you went along, now its a very good car and its reliable now, its probably not as tough as the big rock or mt10 though. I know you have said you fancy the mt10 but have a look at spare part availability and cost of spares/upgrades against other cars in the same price bracket.

Something i like to do is watch some youtube videos before buying a new car just to see what im getting into

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 1

Thanks, yeah spare parts is definitely worth checking before buying.  Whilst looking around I did see that the Maverick Strada range have dropped in price (Thinking of maybe a Christmas present for my son as he is also into RC cars). It's 4WD and a brushless motor. I know Maverick is kind of the entry level but could be a bargain at that price. Has anyone had any experience with the Strada range? I see some people comparing them to the FTX Carnage. Parts are probably not as easy to get but it's around £40 cheaper than the brushless FTX Carnage. You get a lipo with the Carnage though.

Maverick Strada MT Brushless - £149

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/maverick-strada-mt-brushless-rtr-monster-truck-red-408635

FTX Carnage Brushless - £194

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-carnage-1-10-4wd-brushless-truggy-rtr-waterproof-40397

Which is the better car? Spending £194 on a Carnage for my son to break to 2mins seems a bit expensive!

I've also just noticed the new FTX Carnage 2.0 Brushless has just arrived! Anyone heard any news on this? Is it any better than the old one?

£199

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/ftx-carnage-20-brushless-rtr-monster-truck-1355104

On 06/11/2023 at 09:12, bigbadbond said:

Thanks @Kpowell911 . I don't think the shell looks as good as the old model. Looks a little childish "Says the 48 year old who's into RC cars" 🙂

I have theory, when your “young” you try to act and do things that make you out to be older and more mature, but when you get older you dont have to any more as you are old and you just do what makes you happy and gives you pleasure

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hanks @Kpowell911 . I don't think the shell looks as good as the old model.

Also, I believe that's it is quite an old , perhaps 'outdated' platform (chassis etc).

FTX tend to re-release old models without fixing all the old faults, ,,,

For Example: 

Kanyon V1 vs Kanyon V2

Exactly the same thing!     

Except they just added a two speed gearbox and a weak-ass winch !!!!!!

Also added an extra Forty Quid !!!!     :)

I'm so pleased that I got mine second hand (but good condition + chassis mod already done for me)  !!!!!!

FTX should at the very least supply two lengths of pre-drilled aluminium L-Bar,  for you to do the mod right out the box.

Better still, listen to your consumers and fix the faults in your god-damned chassis  !!!

eta:  Quote (reasons against Carnage)

eta2 :   Kanyon V2 ALSO has a better transmitter/receiver Radio bundle that only needs 4 AA batteries (instead of 8    Arghhh 😎 ! )

So Kinda' about/almost worth the extra money if you can afford it !

Edited by abyd
Info on updated Radio System