• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tx upgrade

Having had my GT3c since 2016 I am now feeling the want to upgrade it as I’m getting a bit tired of the cheap feel of it. Having hacked it and having most of my models rely on having at least 3 channels,  most use 6 and 8 in one case I’m not really finding too many options out there.

I would really love an asbo orange DX Rugged but with its history of issues and Horizon barrelling down the proprietary electronics route it’s not going to be an option as I hate that carp. And it’s not really a cheap thing. 

I have seen the Radiomaster MT12 and fancy the 4in1 version so I can hopefully use my current Rx’s so it’s not a case of buying heaps of new ones.

Does anyone have one of these? Is it a good radio? Are there any faults with it? And are there any other models I’m overlooking? 

The main things I use on my flysky are 4WS/Crab etc, light switching and servo positioning for my clods tilt hood and bed. 

@Stormbringer I’d heard the touchscreen is a fiddly thing and can fail, I guess that’s probably been addressed. 

Are the Rx civilized money? I’m a bit spoiled after my Flysky in that respect. 

Every bit of me is wary of it(£240 is a jump after £40 for the GT3c) but it’s just sooo awesome looking and there’s not many weatherproof models on the market which would be super handy. 

Wow these have really jumped in price

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/spektrum-sr215-2-channel-dsmr-sport-receiver-437376

the 2ch was £26 and the 3 ch was cheaper than link above

I guess you wont be going spekky now :insane:

• Haha 2

Holy [expletives deleted]!!

I think I might have to give that a miss indeed, I wasn’t ever intending a fleet conversion but that’s bloody savage🫠. I’m actually a bit disappointed as I was warming up to delaying buying a new 3d printer to grab one. I can be a fickle thing at times so might manage to convince myself. 

The rate of price increases lately has been fierce, I bought a Kyosho USA-1 for £450 from MB Models in 2022 and I just saw Modelsport relist it for £589 the other week. 

Ideally a MT12 for the complicated models and a DX5 Rugged for one or two others might be the way forward. Think I’ll stew on this for a while yet. 

There is a Dumborc radio that i think can store up to 10 models for around £50 but the MT12 might well be what your after have to say Dumborc despite the charming name are very good kit  https://uk.banggood.com/DumboRC-DDF-350-2_4GHz-10CH-HD-LCD-Screen-Digital-Radio-Transmitter-with-X10F-or-X10FG-or-X4FM-or-X4FMG-or-X6DC-or-X6DCG-Receiver-For-RC-Airplane-Car-Boat-Tank-p-2005235.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=63254196325179&rmmds=search

I haven’t looked properly into the Dumbo yet, I’d seen the initial release but haven’t seen folk talking much about it since. It does have the feature set I’m after if I remember correctly. I’ll have a look at it and Rx prices tonight. 

And yeah, DumboRC is a stupid name in fairness but it ALWAYS makes me smile when I hear it😂. It really doesn’t do them justice as from what I can gather the radios are bloody good.

At the moment I’ve got 12 Rx in models and am constantly stealing them to put into the next model so I’m about 6 short at the moment I think. The biggest pull on the MT12 is it supports the Rx I have and then I can cherry pick from a large pool going forward. 

Life would be so much easier if I could cure my shinyitis and just make do with couple of cars. But where’s the fun in that?🤔🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

I’ve got one of them Dumbo RC radios on the way, I’ll do a mini review when it arrives, should be with me early next week hopefully 👍 

Edited by .AJ.
  • Like 3

I have the new Dumbo, not used it much yet until the summer but seems ok and has good features.

Be aware though that the 10 channel receiver is actually 9 usable channels.

The battery power is provided by plugging it into one of the channels hence 9 channels.

You can power it using one of the aircraft plugs so depends how you are going to use it.

I did have this out with Dumborc but they wouldn't accept that technically it isn't a ten channel receiver as advertised. 

• Like 2

I've got a radiolink rc8x. I really like it. 

You can run it on upto a 3s battery. 

Stores a ridiculous amount of model memory, 200.

The receivers are fairly cheap. You can get them from aliexpress for  about 9 quid for a mini 4 channel no gyro ( great for mini crawlers) an a couple of quid more for the gyro version. 

Has various 4ws modes very easy to setup. 

And some of the the receivers are good for upto nearly two kilometres.,handy if you do speed runs. 

You can can get an fpv add on. 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2024 at 15:09, Stormbringer said:

Wow these have really jumped in price

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/spektrum-sr215-2-channel-dsmr-sport-receiver-437376

the 2ch was £26 and the 3 ch was cheaper than link above

I guess you wont be going spekky now :insane:

holy crap just seen that price increase, was 26.99 last time i bought one for my normal dx5, im glad i have a spare or 2 kicking about and wouldnt recommend speccy at they prices 😞

On 18/04/2024 at 16:03, Lone-wolf said:

There is a Dumborc radio that i think can store up to 10 models for around £50 but the MT12 might well be what your after have to say Dumborc despite the charming name are very good kit  https://uk.banggood.com/DumboRC-DDF-350-2_4GHz-10CH-HD-LCD-Screen-Digital-Radio-Transmitter-with-X10F-or-X10FG-or-X4FM-or-X4FMG-or-X6DC-or-X6DCG-Receiver-For-RC-Airplane-Car-Boat-Tank-p-2005235.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=63254196325179&rmmds=search

I use my DDF-350 all the time.  It's a wonderful bit of kit.  especially for the price it was from AliEx.  and the 6 channel receivers are about 8 quid each.  10 model memory sucks a little bit.  That's the only downside i can see from using it though

Edited by SimplyChunk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie1 said:

Is it touchscreen?

No you hold the power button to go in to the menus and navigate with a scroll wheel.  you click the scroll wheel to activate the option highlighted and once in the menus the power button becomes the 'back' button

• Like 1

So the Dumbo does look like a really nice one for the money.

The Absima semi re-branding/stickers probably adds a tenner, then shipping and warranty hassles and give the shop a profit. £30 isn’t likely too bad. I’ve seen things like that add more on other items. 

I think I’m likely to go for the Radiomaster MT12. The Spektrum just isn’t worth the difference in money as everyone has pointed out.

My thinking is that with the MT12 I can use my current Rx that are in my models and for any new Rx I can buy new ones with telemetry for about £20. In all fairness I’m not sure I need the telemetry but it’ll be interesting to play with. The response times are good for the cost as well. I’m sure it’ll show me how slow my cheap servos are😂