• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FlySky GT5 user opinions please

walkbythesea

I'm getting very close to buying one as I think it does all the things I want well enough for a decent price, just wondered what folks that have them think of them?  

The good, the bad, the ugly - what are your opinions please?

I got one with a vehicle in a trade and function wise it was brilliant. It did feel  “cheap” to me, but I guess thats because it is cheap. But great features and cheap RXs means Id give it a win over all. 

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 2

Love mine and think I now have 5 models saved to it.  I think it feels nice in the hand and more premium that say a DumboRC but not sure how it stacks up to something even more premium. 

For me, I wanted something multi-model so that I could set things like endpoints and trim and it does that all perfectly.

It might be user error but one thing I didnt like was using it with one of the gyro-enabled receivers.   It just never felt right and I found the DumboRC offering far simpler and more usable with the channel 6 dial up/down.  

• Like 1

I ended up buying a second one. 

For me it feels a bit nicer than all of the other RTR radios I’ve tried (including a Traxxas unit from the TRX4) and offers all the channels/controls/features I’ve needed so far. At the same time they are very reasonably priced and you can pick up six channel Rx units, with a gyro, for well under £20. 

I was almost tempted to try something a lot more expensive when I was looking for a second radio recently but I ended up sticking with what I had. The GT5 doesn’t do anything wrong and means I’ve got two radios I can use with any of the current cars if I want to go out with the lad for a bit. 

• Like 3

I only have super cheap RTR radios to compare it with, but it’s definitely my best transmitter. 
No idea how it would stack up against more premium stuff, but I really like it.

• Like 1

I bought a GT5 to use with my crawler because I wanted 6 channels.  I have found in the past that transmitters are a bit like car interiors.  There is a lot of plastic but some manufacturers do a much better job than others to make it feel nice.  For the price, the quality and finish seems pretty good on the GT5.  There are much more expensive transmitters that feel inferior but I still have a desire for something that feels a bit more special.  The GT5 is easy to set-up and use though and has done everything I needed it to do reliably.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Well in the end I decided to put a little bit more in and went for a Noble NB4

I'm wishing I did that, maybe even the pro.  Being very new to this, I was about to post to say that as my first transmitter, I'm a little disappointed  with it, granted it's at the cheaper end of the price bracket for transmitters, so I wasn't expecting it to have all the bells and whistles, indeed it does far far more than I was expecting.  I did not find it intuitive at all getting mine to properly bind with the included receiver, which I still haven't finished properly doing yet, or to bind at all with the receiver I want to use, and the hard copy of the manual that is provided with the Flysky GT5 did not help at all.  For example what I thought would be channel 1 - the trigger or throttle, is actually channel 2, what I expected channel 2 to be - the wheel or steering, is actually channel 1, this isn't mentioned in the hard copy of the manual but is in the online manual.  Though other things, what I would call ''advanced settings''. things like 4 wheel steering, setting the end point amounts, trim, binding to multiple receivers, even ABS braking, which again aren't mentioned in the hard copy of the manual and are things I expected to need to rely on a manual, Google, YouTube, and even here to ask for help with, are extremely intuitive and easy to set up.  And something that which is a little thing, but I find it extremely annoying, is the power switch goes in the opposite direction to what I expect it would go.  This is the opinion of somebody who is very new to RC, and this is the first transmitter I have ever owned and tried to setup and pair with a receiver. 

Edited by Grogg

20 minutes ago, Grogg said:

I'm wishing I did that, maybe even the pro.  Being very new to this, I was about to post to say that as my first transmitter, I'm a little disappointed  with it, granted it's at the cheaper end of the price bracket for transmitters, so I wasn't expecting it to have all the bells and whistles, indeed it does far far more than I was expecting.  I did not find it intuitive at all getting mine to properly bind with the included receiver, which I still haven't finished properly doing yet, or to bind at all with the receiver I want to use, and the hard copy of the manual that is provided with the Flysky GT5 did not help at all.  For example what I thought would be channel 1 - the trigger or throttle, is actually channel 2, what I expected channel 2 to be - the wheel or steering, is actually channel 1, this isn't mentioned in the hard copy of the manual but is in the online manual.  Though other things, what I would call ''advanced settings''. things like 4 wheel steering, setting the end point amounts, trim, binding to multiple receivers, even ABS braking, which again aren't mentioned in the hard copy of the manual and are things I expected to need to rely on a manual, Google, YouTube, and even here to ask for help with, are extremely intuitive and easy to set up.  And something that which is a little thing, but I find it extremely annoying, is the power switch goes in the opposite direction to what I expect it would go.  This is the opinion of somebody who is very new to RC, and this is the first transmitter I have ever owned and tried to setup and pair with a receiver. 

To be honest every single radio system is CH1 for Steering and CH2 for Throttle. I wouldnt expect that to be in the manual of any radio, its just the way RC is. 1 to Turn, 2 to Burn. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2023 at 13:30, Kpowell911 said:

To be honest every single radio system is CH1 for Steering and CH2 for Throttle. I wouldnt expect that to be in the manual of any radio, its just the way RC is. 1 to Turn, 2 to Burn. 

It's not just that I'm having issues with.  Even though it feels like a good quality transmitter, for somebody as ham fisted as me, it doesn't feel like it would last long, not to mention that unless you're willing to void the warranty and are comfortable soldering, you're spending anything up to an extra £50+ quid on rechargeable batteries and a charger for them, which in reality for somebody buying their first transmitter and receiver, it's not a £60 purchase, but closer to £100 if not more, especially if you buy a spare set of rechargeable batteries for it.  Even if you do the LiPo mod to it, it becomes a close to a £100 transmitter and receiver.

Edited by Grogg

13 hours ago, Grogg said:

It's not just that I'm having issues with.  Even though it feels like a good quality transmitter, for somebody as ham fisted as me, it doesn't feel like it would last long, not to mention that unless you're willing to void the warranty and are comfortable soldering, you're spending anything up to an extra £50+ quid on rechargeable batteries and a charger for them, which in reality for somebody buying their first transmitter and receiver, it's not a £60 purchase, but closer to £100 if not more, especially if you buy a spare set of rechargeable batteries for it.  Even if you do the LiPo mod to it, it becomes a close to a £100 transmitter and receiver.

On my GT3B i converted it to us a 3S 1P 18650 Li-ion home made pack and it lasts weeks, only charged it once since i made it and still showing near full

3S 1P pack.JPG

pack fitted flysky.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

On my GT3B i converted it to us a 3S 1P 18650 Li-ion home made pack and it lasts weeks, only charged it once since i made it and still showing near full

3S 1P pack.JPG

pack fitted flysky.JPG

I was considering doing the LiPo mod to my Flysky GT5, but was having quite a lot of issues with it losing signal, and unbinding from my HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy, even if it was sat next to the transmitter powered on and not moving, the signal loss, drop out, and unbinding just got even worse when I was actually running the HoBao Hyper Cage.  This wasn't happening with my Tamiya Rock Socker, granted it's barely a rolling chassis at the moment, but I have no issues with the Flysky GT5 dropping signal, and unbinding from it whenever testing to make sure both the 2 wheel steering, 4 wheel steering and throttle are working, even when in a different part of the house with the transmitter from my Rock Socker rolling chassis.

Edited by Grogg