• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My SCX10.2 - A Work In Progress.

1 hour ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Get some fine grit on that panel Andy, it'll shine up a beaut👍

I love watching home made fab work comng together, always inspiring.

I’ve ordered some diamond plate from RCBITZ, which I’m planning on covering the panel with, and then weathering it. I’m also going to add a fuel cell that I can use as home for the RX/BEC further down the line.  
And home fab is something I really enjoy - keeps me happy for hours!  

• Like 3

Evening all.. 

So I have another update on my fabbed bed section...I was hoping I’d have it finished tonight but being back at work has slowed progress 👎 

After mocking up the rear at the end of the last update, I decided that rather than drill a bunch of holes into the frame rails to fix the bed down, I’d make a chassis brace for the rear and fix the bed to that - the new brace would use existing holes in the rails. 

I did a bit of online research and found that engineering grade plastic would probably work for my purposes, so I ordered a small sheet of Acetal - 250x250x8mm, which landed on the mat today. 

The aftermath of Saturdays quarry meet 😆

yjK8L1X.jpg

This is really nice stuff to work with..

CWfnnK9.jpg

The plan is to lose the two stock braces and replace them with one piece of Acetal.  If I find that one piece is to heavy I can always add lightness by cut sections out.

quPLlHx.jpg

Looks pretty straight forward to me.. 

egCDIJH.jpg

So I had a little measure up..

CecURea.jpg

Made a template out of card - cardboard aided design (CAD). 

49heLVQ.jpg

Transfer the template onto the lovely shiny plastic, using masking tape..

..measure tens times, cut only once. Hopefully! 🤞 

H3usy9B.jpg

To file or cut, that is the question.. 

r6kiO6I.jpg

It was a combination of both, and it came out great!
Acetal is really nice to work with...if only I had a CNC cutter 😁

fgqQJKd.jpg
VF9XoVh.jpg
UnScJcs.jpg

I mocked up the rear section to see how it all looked, now that I’ve weathered the fuel cell itself - and I’m really happy with it so far..

V5oOoNw.jpg

aTTbbud.jpg

With any luck I’ll have this buttoned up after work tomorrow , just in time for the imminent arrival of a Shapeways care package 📦 

Oh I almost forgot..I also fitted a set of P-L duel stage foams to the 10.2, and I’m so impressed with the difference they made...it was like a different truck. The turning circle and side hilling are both hugely improved now. 

hRoJlF6.jpg

That’s all for now folks..

Edited by Andy-Roo
  • Like 2

I want a forward motor setup as well; do share what you find as the one I'd looked at was $150!!! Ludicrous money for a small machined piece of aluminium and transfer case.

Nice work on weathering the  fuel cell; I just painted the braces bit in matt black and sanded the red cell. Yours looks way better mate, good work.

As stimpy mentioned above, that's a lot of weight to be hoisting up there on the backend, along with the cage do you now find it a little heavy in the rear?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Do we get pics of the forward motor transmission? When’s your next trip to the trail?  Only asking as I live most of my  RC life vicariously....

Yes, I’ll be posting pics and a write up about the transmission swap as soon as I get time - it’ll be a long post, so best I apologise now for boring you all with it 🤪

• Haha 3

So, installing this tranny was actually pretty straight forward with all the parts needed being available on Shapeways, and they delivered ahead of schedule!  

The right way around, and the wrong..

NBuoJIz.jpg

New skid and crossmember..

NzsbdWS.jpg

S2Vwxsu.jpg

I’ve had this truck apart so many times now I think I could do with my eyes closed 🙈

LZ8anem.jpg

Sitting nicely in its new home..

Fb2uAO7.jpg

The first problem I came across was the stock Axial links were to wide for the mounts on the new skid.  Luckily I had some spare SS VP ones left over that fitted perfectly..

pGhwJW1.jpg

GixR3ny.jpg

Almost there..

5V13zFH.jpg

I cut part off part of an Axial skid to make spacers for the links, as the new skid doesn’t have the upper link mounts..

QsXqcWT.jpg

Just tidying up now..

uBeiR8R.jpg

90oloC5.jpg
MkWpVg8.jpg

The driveline angles are now straight and the CoG is lower - hopefully helping counteract the heavy cage..

zHFxQnS.jpg

With the transmission in this position the driveshafts need rejigging, but the parts needed are included in the builders kit, so no extra costs involved.
The rear driveshaft is too long and the front too short, so all I did was swap half the front for half of the rear (if that makes sense)?  I still may have to swap a couple of drive ‘tubes’ out for the shorter ones but for now I’ll play it by ear, because it seems like my way could work. Time, and the proper test drive will tell on that score. 

So there you have it - a transmission that wasn’t planned for this rig but that now callS the 10.2 home, and I have to say I’m pleased with outcome. It’s pretty well balanced and  having a quick drive about my garage/garden it’s really smooth and quiet, so initial thoughts are all positive....but the real test is yet to come! 

Sorry for boring you all to tears, but I did warn you! 😅

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, RC_County_Crawler said:

That all looks tidy @Andy-Roo

You’ll have to forgive my ignorance, but I’m going to ask a noob question - is this for a 2 speed transmission?

The two speed can be fitted to this transmission as an upgrade, yes. But that’s not something I’ll be doing.  

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/axial-scx10-transmission-set-complete/rc-car-products/409568