• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Q WHAT IS THE BEST CRAWLER

turok007

Completely depends on budget and choice of drive, portals or no portals, difflocks or no diff-locks, 2 speed or no 2 speed?
If your "completeing" as in like sorrca events, this again changes things as what class are you aiming to compete in?

Every truck drives and performs differently some by lots some by a little. A choice that probably wouldn't disappoint is a trx4 takes a beating.
A cheaper choice might be a ftx or gmade, these perform just as good as the higher priced axials.

If you want the "best" rock crawler buy mine in the for sales section 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Redback said:

Completely depends on budget and choice of drive, portals or no portals, difflocks or no diff-locks, 2 speed or no 2 speed?
If your "completeing" as in like sorrca events, this again changes things as what class are you aiming to compete in?

Every truck drives and performs differently some by lots some by a little. A choice that probably wouldn't disappoint is a trx4 takes a beating.
A cheaper choice might be a ftx or gmade, these perform just as good as the higher priced axials.

If you want the "best" rock crawler buy mine in the for sales section 😆

I have been looking at the R1 for a long time now.

• Like 1

I had a modified ECX Temper that i was modding and have to say it was shaping up to do a superb job a little more work and it would of been awesome and not huge money, but crawling is not my main interest so ended up letting it go, trail driving is more my thing

• Like 1

Crawler and scale truck are totally different breeds. Comp crawlers tend to be motor on axle with no body most common one ring rc4wd bully. Most people though assemble comp crawlers themselves by choosing a chassis and then axles etc etc 

6 minutes ago, sunny said:

Crawler and scale truck are totally different breeds. Comp crawlers tend to be motor on axle with no body most common one ring rc4wd bully. Most people though assemble comp crawlers themselves by choosing a chassis and then axles etc etc 

So are Mazda MX-5 and Porsche 911, yet both are still sports cars.

Comp crawlers or MOAs are just one category of crawlers. This "distinction" is asinine, of course something like an SCX10.2 is a rock crawler. Just google "moab rock crawling" and go to the picture tab. 

• Like 1

Just my opinion but I dont think of trucks like scx10ii or gmade komodo as rock crawlers in the strict sense. 

If using the sports car comparison scx10ii would be more like a GT car while as comp crawlers more like a track type road car Ariel atom or similar. Of course both are cars but very different characters 

4 hours ago, sunny said:

Just my opinion but I dont think of trucks like scx10ii or gmade komodo as rock crawlers in the strict sense. 

If using the sports car comparison scx10ii would be more like a GT car while as comp crawlers more like a track type road car Ariel atom or similar. Of course both are cars but very different characters 

i have a komodo  and i wouldn't want to really use it to crawl with

1 hour ago, stretch said:

Are you after a crawler like say the maverick scout or a trailer like the scx10?

Don't know really i just wanted to here what people used or would use

On 07/02/2021 at 17:06, turok007 said:

Don't know really i just wanted to here what people used or would use

You will have to decide if you want it more realistic looking in which case stuff like SCX10ii Element Enduro etc are good if you want more dedicated crawler / rock racer you can look at stuff like Axial Capra or even the RC4WD bully 

Here’s my two penneth  from my own personal experience  and I have actually had some.

if you want a full on rock crawler that sticks like Spider-Man to walls then the only real recommendation would be either modded Axial xr10 axles or enroute berg axles, and as said both are motor on axle offerings, you tend to build the chassis around the axles going that way.

now if you want something resembling a actual vehicle you want a scale crawler, out and out performance is lost for looks but don’t think for one minute a scale crawler isnt that capable because they can be.

depending on budget really but if you want something at a reasonable price, go for the scx10, the benchmark rig, parts are still plenty full and still retains a decent resale value should crawling be something your not bothered about or want to “upgrade” so to speak.

now money no object, Traxxas Trx4 with all the bells and whistles, once end points are set correctly you can get straight out and beat the living crap out of it.

it will need a few things doing but which one available doesn’t? Main areas are electrics (motor and steering servo) and getting some weight up front.

you would be surprised how much difference in turning circle having a unlocking diff, now if you wanted to compete at the “scale” crawler events, this does have a advantage on a twisty section, as does the 2 speed box, it’s there to give that “pop” of power to help clear a obstacle. 
I suppose it’s one of those, “not miss it if you don’t have it” but once you have it and use it then it is very much worth it.

honestly though @Oh How Original, (you know me by now and it’s not meant to be offensive) the Vanquish truck as much as it looks the part, it’s like having a shiny cock ring, it’s like the Bugatti veyron, it was done as a excercise because it could.

there is massive choice now and most are good solid trucks (or can be made to) but the Trx4 still stands out. 

even had a forum member tell me that I was right, I was privileged to hear it too. Try not to take too much to heart, the Traxxas haters will always be.

id stake money on converting people who’ve not had the experience of using a Trx4. Oh and I’ll still be able to use it for the next 10 years with all that parts availability.

as said though, just my two penneth and hope you find what your after :good:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gaz! said:

Here’s my two penneth  from my own personal experience  and I have actually had some.

if you want a full on rock crawler that sticks like Spider-Man to walls then the only real recommendation would be either modded Axial xr10 axles or enroute berg axles, and as said both are motor on axle offerings, you tend to build the chassis around the axles going that way.

now if you want something resembling a actual vehicle you want a scale crawler, out and out performance is lost for looks but don’t think for one minute a scale crawler isnt that capable because they can be.

depending on budget really but if you want something at a reasonable price, go for the scx10, the benchmark rig, parts are still plenty full and still retains a decent resale value should crawling be something your not bothered about or want to “upgrade” so to speak.

now money no object, Traxxas Trx4 with all the bells and whistles, once end points are set correctly you can get straight out and beat the living crap out of it.

it will need a few things doing but which one available doesn’t? Main areas are electrics (motor and steering servo) and getting some weight up front.

you would be surprised how much difference in turning circle having a unlocking diff, now if you wanted to compete at the “scale” crawler events, this does have a advantage on a twisty section, as does the 2 speed box, it’s there to give that “pop” of power to help clear a obstacle. 
I suppose it’s one of those, “not miss it if you don’t have it” but once you have it and use it then it is very much worth it.

honestly though @Oh How Original, (you know me by now and it’s not meant to be offensive) the Vanquish truck as much as it looks the part, it’s like having a shiny cock ring, it’s like the Bugatti veyron, it was done as a excercise because it could.

there is massive choice now and most are good solid trucks (or can be made to) but the Trx4 still stands out. 

even had a forum member tell me that I was right, I was privileged to hear it too. Try not to take too much to heart, the Traxxas haters will always be.

id stake money on converting people who’ve not had the experience of using a Trx4. Oh and I’ll still be able to use it for the next 10 years with all that parts availability.

as said though, just my two penneth and hope you find what your after :good:

I really like the idea  of motor on axle.  and the 2 speed is something to think about.  As for the traxxas  when it was released i just thought they were jumping on the crawler bandwagon.   So i haven't really looked at it as something i might want.   But after what you said  i will look into it. 

• Like 1

@Gaz! - No offense taken because what I said might have been taken out of context.

I said for best in terms of quality, so fit, finish, durability, nothing comes close to Vanquish as a brand, not even the complete truck, I am far from  a fanboy of them though, not every product they make is what I like, I think the wheels are overpriced, but they are very very strong, I think it's stupid they stay with imperial threads etc...

Ask anyone who has run Vanquish axles, or a VS4-10, who makes the best quality axle, not taking into consideration cost or having to import etc... Just for the best quality of machining, how they look, fit, finish and durability.

I'd have anyone a bet that 95% of them would say Vanquish.

It's not a brand everyone likes, it's not a brand everyone can afford, but it is the best, if money is no object and it's not a "best for XXX budget"... But just the best.

Like, you have a lot of money in your D90... I have a lot in my Power Wagon, both are more than a stock VS4-10, but now having had a VS4-10, I am under no illusion that either are on the same level, they just aren't.

Your comparison would be better suited to the Ripper dude... That was a $1900 cage which now, used beater trucks are selling for 6k+ and they sell as well.

On 05/02/2021 at 17:52, turok007 said:

So if you had to compete what would be the best crawler to use.  i tried google  but all it shows is sponsored links.

As this is in the comp crawler section, then the only truck you won't have to upgrade from stock is a Dlux 2.2 kit. It's expensive, but everything you need to compete can be bought as a complete truck, even high end electrics if you choose them in the options on the site.

Next, and which is available from shops, is the RC4WD Bully 2. A few changes and additions and it's capable.

You could buy a well tuned, used Berg/XR10 axled truck, but both are getting harder to find.

On 14/02/2021 at 16:58, ruffryder said:

As this is in the comp crawler section, then the only truck you won't have to upgrade from stock is a Dlux 2.2 kit. It's expensive, but everything you need to compete can be bought as a complete truck, even high end electrics if you choose them in the options on the site.

Next, and which is available from shops, is the RC4WD Bully 2. A few changes and additions and it's capable.

You could buy a well tuned, used Berg/XR10 axled truck, but both are getting harder to find.

Yeah but what about the axle and shock problems from Dlux?😉

Anyway, back to the OP... As others have said check out some videos and decide what type of rig you want and the budget available. Also your chosen terrain will govern in part what may work best there, or perhaps you just want to build something different.👍 

I have both types of rigs but personally my love is in the 2.2 comp crawlers then the low centre of gravity scale comp crawlers (1.9 sized tyres generally). I do also have scale crawlers but they have all pretty much been built around competing and crawling....

Edited by stimpy

On 20/02/2021 at 00:27, stimpy said:

Yeah but what about the axle and shock problems from Dlux?😉

Anyway, back to the OP... As others have said check out some videos and decide what type of rig you want and the budget available. Also your chosen terrain will govern in part what may work best there, or perhaps you just want to build something different.👍 

I have both types of rigs but personally my love is in the 2.2 comp crawlers then the low centre of gravity scale comp crawlers (1.9 sized tyres generally). I do also have scale crawlers but they have all pretty much been built around competing and crawling....

As you know, Dlux has been sold, so the recent problems he had with the manufacturers will hopefully be sorted by the new owners.

The XR10 needed a lot of money spent on upgraded gears/gearboxes etc to be competitive, the Berg even more so, and the Bully 2 has weak front CVDs that need upgrading to UJs, plus comes with the most useless shocks on the planet, and a weak point in the small bearing. So, if you were to compete, the best crawler you can buy without added expense is the Dlux. Budget wise, and just starting out, the Bully 2 with front UJs, knuckle weights, better shocks, a set of better bearings and it's a good crawler.

turok007 has already said he wouldn't use his scale truck for crawling, and wouldn't mind trying MOA, so I'm guessing he knows the type of truck he wants, and what he wants to use it for.

Personally, if I wanted to try a comp crawler,  I'd put a wanted out on Facebook pages and forums for a used Bully 2, hopped up XR10 etc

Edited by ruffryder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ruffryder said:

As you know, Dlux has been sold, so the recent problems he had with the manufacturers will hopefully be sorted by the new owners.

The XR10 needed a lot of money spent on upgraded gears/gearboxes etc to be competitive, the Berg even more so, and the Bully 2 has weak front CVDs that need upgrading to UJs, plus comes with the most useless shocks on the planet, and a weak point in the small bearing. So, if you were to compete, the best crawler you can buy without added expense is the Dlux. Budget wise, and just starting out, the Bully 2 with front UJs, knuckle weights, better shocks, a set of better bearings and it's a good crawler.

turok007 has already said he wouldn't use his scale truck for crawling, and wouldn't mind trying MOA, so I'm guessing he knows the type of truck he wants, and what he wants to use it for.

Personally, if I wanted to try a comp crawler,  I'd put a wanted out on Facebook pages and forums for a used Bully 2, hopped up XR10 etc

Hehe yes mate... And apologies I obviously skim read the post in a rush.... 

Still don't quite agree re final costs etc. If you fix the Bully2 it will still be significantly cheaper than a Dlux offering but obviously different rigs really as we both know... 

A shame that Turok is not closer to either of us as he could then try a rig.... But yes get an add up mate or let us know your budget and we can see from there...

• Like 1