• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

5 minutes ago, Rustic Ade said:

Back on with the Cobra...

Fitted a new battery tray from an FTX model, the original one was just too tight for the new Nimh battery, guess the original Nicads were slightly smaller.

Replaced the flex I'd used with proper silicon cable and replaced the iffy connectors with Wago connectors from the sparks at work (anyone else use these or am I doing something I shouldn't?)

Put new shock oil in.

Now waiting for servo tape.

Once it is running going to address the speed issue.

Now going to go and tinker with the Big Rock...prepare for more questions!IMG20230312183057.thumb.jpg.7bf71860e23edf4099405c9a860d8fe7.jpgIMG20230312183110.thumb.jpg.4b1c28aa73d4f568b0d9f5114882cabe.jpgIMG20230312183129.thumb.jpg.0714d983689341498c3bd55a8cf849c9.jpg

That demon Motor in the back of the cobra   brings back some memory’s, used to run one in my Optima Mid and Procat.👍

8 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

That demon Motor in the back of the cobra   brings back some memory’s, used to run one in my Optima Mid and Procat.👍

That's one of the jobs I need to address on it, it's really slow. Apparently the motor is in some way adjustable?

It's old but runs and moves freely, just really disappointingly slow.

Any tips from the past?

2 minutes ago, Rustic Ade said:

That's one of the jobs I need to address on it, it's really slow. Apparently the motor is in some way adjustable?

It's old but runs and moves freely, just really disappointingly slow.

Any tips from the past?

Would be worth checking the brushes, not sure how easy replacements are to find, worth posting up on the Iconic Rc page on Facebook with the motor name and some images, there are quite a few people who run these in the vintage stuff. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Would be worth checking the brushes, not sure how easy replacements are to find, worth posting up on the Iconic Rc page on Facebook with the motor name and some images, there are quite a few people who run these in the vintage stuff. 

Will do, thanks.

Now got a different car in bits sorting it out, can't wait till the postman comes Tuesday, hopefully then I can get both finished and get onto the Cobras speed issue.

38 minutes ago, Rustic Ade said:

Back on with the Cobra...

Fitted a new battery tray from an FTX model, the original one was just too tight for the new Nimh battery, guess the original Nicads were slightly smaller.

Replaced the flex I'd used with proper silicon cable and replaced the iffy connectors with Wago connectors from the sparks at work (anyone else use these or am I doing something I shouldn't?)

Put new shock oil in.

Now waiting for servo tape.

Once it is running going to address the speed issue.

Now going to go and tinker with the Big Rock...prepare for more questions!IMG20230312183057.thumb.jpg.7bf71860e23edf4099405c9a860d8fe7.jpgIMG20230312183110.thumb.jpg.4b1c28aa73d4f568b0d9f5114882cabe.jpgIMG20230312183129.thumb.jpg.0714d983689341498c3bd55a8cf849c9.jpg

Did it make it go any faster?

4 minutes ago, BigGinge said:

Did it make it go any faster?

Not run it properly yet, need to properly install the servo. I ran it up and spinning off the ground it doesn't seem any faster at all.

Once I get the servo sorted I'll run it and see but not looking hopeful.

Will then investigate the motor.

Do you reckon those connectors are ok or should I be using bullet connections or something?

• Like 1

I've used wago terminals plenty at home for mains wiring and in some of the wiring I've done for work without any bother. Not sure that they would stand up to the 100 amps, or more, you might push through them with a big brushless setup but I suspect they will be fine here.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

Bearings are old school, bushes are back in fashion again, and in a crawler it makes so much sense if you go near water, i have just built my new coyote 2.1 kit with oil bushes and the wifes coyote rtr is gettingthem on next rebuild

95% of the time this will be run in the dry so I'm not overly worried. Also the price for a whole new kit isn't a great deal so I'd rather put less strain on the motor and replace the odd bearing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

This Mercedes TL-01 was released on 17th Nov 2000. Nearly 23 years ago…….

This car is completely stock. Today I charged a NIMH up, put some AAs in the old school AcomsTechniplus. Had to re set the Servo Horn for the throttle servo. And……

https://i.imgur.com/YwdE2sD.mp4

Wow👏

14 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

This Mercedes TL-01 was released on 17th Nov 2000. Nearly 23 years ago…….

This car is completely stock. Today I charged a NIMH up, put some AAs in the old school AcomsTechniplus. Had to re set the Servo Horn for the throttle servo. And……

https://i.imgur.com/YwdE2sD.mp4

Putting my efforts of resurrection to shame!

Old school sounds going on there!

• Like 2