• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

2 hours ago, Bajadre said:

damn if that was OG kit would be worth loads in box

It's from boxes, just not the box. 😁

I've got a mint Bruiser box though. There was a mint Bruiser to go in it but my father-in-law's "best friend" managed to convince the grieving widow a few weeks after his death that he was doing her a favour by giving her £100 for it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some maintenance on the BSD which got a bit wet in the ice yesterday.  Wheel bearings seemed all good but 3 out of 4 shocks didnt appear to have any oil! 

Keep meaning to start some kind of journal/log for the RCs to remember when I do things with them and what grade shock oil etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

Chomped through a couple of old Tamiya 3-speed gearboxes:

20221218_132828.thumb.jpg.9d00d2499cebcb948f2694a25cfa89f6.jpg

Luckily in the "stuff" pile, Dave had thoughtfully chopped the exploded diagram from the original box:

20221218_133109.thumb.jpg.0c56976e904891eeea7f015c7815d8db.jpg

Aaaaaand presto! Two functioning gearboxes:

20221218_162348.thumb.jpg.3f45aa418d119a1260499d1f9cb2ed3b.jpg

A small issue is that I only seem to have one motor. Would it be outrageous to stick a modern brushless motor and ESC in there?

If I was building it, I would try to find period correct vintage electronics.

4 minutes ago, BlackSeaRC said:

If I was building it, I would try to find period correct vintage electronics.

You're probably right. I thought I could modernise it and use it rather than sell it as incomplete. The original electronics are okay but speed control isn't exactly spitzenklasse.

Ah well guess I'll be digging through the pile.

• Like 2

On 14/12/2022 at 21:01, Tadas said:

Guys, im planning on replacing my Xmaxx body and can't make my mind on how to reinforce it:

A) Shoe goo +  drywall tape

B) Gorilla tape

Would be grateful for your input. 

No one does it or is there a special topic for it? 

36 minutes ago, Tadas said:

No one does it or is there a special topic for it? 

Not really the right post for asking questions mate. Put a separate thread up and it might get more notice.

Shoe goo and drywall tape seems to be the preferred option as it stays attached to the shell better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, danny boy said:

Wired up the Losi Micro-B ready for some indoor racing. I love micros, and I love neat wiring, but the two are not mutually exclusive, and I often find it impossible to tidily wire up such a small car. I really wanted this to be a close replica of my 1/10 car, so had to get a little creative.

The first thing I did was create a false floor for the ESC and receiver to sit on. This let me run the wires underneath where they cannot be seen. This was made with a piece of 1.5mm fibreglass sheet cut to shape and painted black. You can see it here underneath the ESC and receiver here. I drilled holes for each wire on the ESC to thread them through. I needed to re-solder all the wires to make this possible but it was worth it. The ESC is a Hobbywing XR10 stock spec, it looks exactly like the full size ESC, but it's much smaller, perfect for a micro car. The motor is a Carisma sensored unit, I went for this motor because it's the only sensored motor I can find on this scale, and as my 1/10 car uses sensored motors, this had to as well. I also had to relocate the servo further forward. This was an easy job that just need two holes drilled in the chassis.

image.thumb.jpeg.1d6c288c09521ed7b972cf77399adce9.jpeg

Next up was the battery. My 1/10 car uses shorty packs with built in connectors. But unfortunately you cannot get these in 1/16 scale, so I had to make my own. Here is a comparison with one of my 1/10 battery packs. I bought a small 2-cell lipo and reconfigured it to fit in the new casing. The casing is just made from styrene plastic I cut to shape and glued together. I 3D printed a mount for the bullet connectors and glued it inside the casing. After that I just drilled two holes, pushed the connectors through, and soldered them up. The balance leads are hidden underneath.

image.thumb.jpeg.01a4fda05393c8a60035cd9350ce7aad.jpeg

And there she is. Probably the best wiring job I've done on a car of this scale. It's not perfect, but it sure is better than it was. 

a

Very tidy cabling!  Where did the servo horn come from?  I tried putting a savox in my Mini B but had all kinds of issues getting a horn to fit and ended up sticking the Spektrum from the RTRs in.

12 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

Stuck together the Tamiya Toyota today:

20221219_162221.thumb.jpg.39ceafe61aed6c9020d10988e2a5e4c1.jpg

20221219_162446.thumb.jpg.e70cd58614c0213f1e5693cb14448d47.jpg

Funny how the Blazer took a whole weekend and a couple of evenings and this took about 4 hours. 😁

That's the other Blazer in the background - it's mainly there with the exception of some fixings. I'll have a rummage in the garage and see what turns up...

Looks like your building up a nice collection of pretty rare trucks, well done for getting them back to working spec

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lone-wolf said:

Looks like your building up a nice collection of pretty rare trucks, well done for getting them back to working spec

Cheers mate.

It's been fun putting them together. The garage rummage didn't turn up any more parts so I'm going to stop where I am.

This sort of stuff isn't my thing - I'd be far too tempted to use them, not clean them properly and inadvertently degrade them. I think an enthusiast would get far more pleasure from them than I or anyone in my family would so I'm going to move them on.

• Like 2

On 18/12/2022 at 16:56, Mr Fro said:

Chomped through a couple of old Tamiya 3-speed gearboxes:

20221218_132828.thumb.jpg.9d00d2499cebcb948f2694a25cfa89f6.jpg

Luckily in the "stuff" pile, Dave had thoughtfully chopped the exploded diagram from the original box:

20221218_133109.thumb.jpg.0c56976e904891eeea7f015c7815d8db.jpg

Aaaaaand presto! Two functioning gearboxes:

20221218_162348.thumb.jpg.3f45aa418d119a1260499d1f9cb2ed3b.jpg

A small issue is that I only seem to have one motor. Would it be outrageous to stick a modern brushless motor and ESC in there?

I say whack the brushless stuff in there and have a great time driving it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrCake said:

Such a great colour!

Thanks.

It might change a bit before it’s done though as  I’ve still not taken off the overspray film (even if this is the most tempting thing in the world right now) to keep it nice and clean for the decals. 

• Like 2