• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

7 hours ago, Alex97 said:

I started this last night and added the final bits this morning...

20200715-165238.jpg

Every bag had this label in to say who packed it, nice touch. 

20200715-172251.jpg

The steel ball joints were missing from the front so I've contacted X-ray to hopefully I get replacements within a week or so. 

20200715-210022.jpg

Lots of carbon fibre and nice alloy parts, I went for the US version as it has a alloy chassis and is slightly stiffer so should be better for speed runs. 

20200715-211923.jpg

The kit includes a 92t spur however I'll be using a 72t spur with a 55t pinion. I usually hate building ball diffs however this wasn't too bad. 

20200716-094857.jpg

All finished, I'll be running a 120a ESC with a 3.5t motor so that will let me run with 2 and 3s and then I'll just use a micro servo. 

At some point I'll order the shell which is going to be a phat LMP body shell and that will be painted orange with some blue splats. 

For £125 it's very good value for money however if I'd paid the £300 RRP I'd have felt slightly short changed however as per all X-ray products the quality is exceptional. 

Like the who the bag is packed by, At least you can grass the ones that left out your two parts.😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Saved an expensive dog-bone from the bin. However, drilling hardened steel ain't easy, I'll......... er............. let the picture do the talking. It will save me as an emergency field repair. 

2020-07-16_06-57-44

A tad wonky, the drill wandered due to the hardness of the steel. 

Laugh away, I am. It'll do for a last resort. 

• Haha 2

Tried a battery mounting mod that I had seen, replaced the stock Velcro mount with a Losi mini 8ight one, but the pins were to low, so I had some Shimano cable ferrules for a bike lying around, so these fitted over the top of the losi ones and were superglued in place, then drilled two mounting holes in each (one for the 2s & one for the 3s battery), ran it and it seems to hold them tight.

I May have also superglued one of the pink clips to my finger, it was an anxious few minutes while I prised it off, painful! 😀

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ag100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

done some tweaks to the grass hopper to stop the suspension arms wobbling around through wear and hopefully stopped the steering link from popping off now :)

gonna have to get new tyre's now for the back after the originals  dug up the garden  😛

pg2DdIK.jpg

6B66DL5.jpg

keXCxHK.jpg

• Like 3

Finally finished building two ta-02's. Porsche's naturally, the white one is a ta-02sw fully hopped up and ball raced with carbon chassis (the green duck tape is for protection). The black one is a standard is a normal ta-02 with some minor hop-up such as alloy steering arms and a 20kg servo again fully ball raced. Haven't taken them out yet but probably will in the near future. 

IMG_20200716_204013.jpg

IMG_20200716_204030.jpg

IMG_20200716_204209.jpg

IMG_20200716_204424.jpg

IMG_20200716_204236.jpg

IMG_20200716_204442.jpg

IMG_20200716_204052.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

done some tweaks to the grass hopper to stop the suspension arms wobbling around through wear and hopefully stopped the steering link from popping off now :)

gonna have to get new tyre's now for the back after the originals  dug up the garden  😛

pg2DdIK.jpg

6B66DL5.jpg

keXCxHK.jpg

Love this mate. Used to have one back when I was a little lad brings back so many awesome memories. Thanks for the post :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ProjectBrutality said:

Love this mate. Used to have one back when I was a little lad brings back so many awesome memories. Thanks for the post :)

hehe awesome, it is mad fun in the garden even with the wee 380, got a 4000mah nimh in it which seems to last forever, only had it about 6 weeks or so and i am giving it heavy use and abuse as you can see, also that big hole behind it was mostly dug up by it lmao  :D

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

the more i used it, the more the front arms started to wobble, done a simple fix.

i looked in my wee tubs i have tools and random stuff in and seen a bullet connector, cut a wee bit of one of the casing's and tried it on the back of the supsension arm where it sits in the chassis, the pink bits on the upside down pic, that reduced the slack then earlier the slack was getting a bit much again so i cut off a bit of the larger bullet connector and that just slotted in nice and firm over the smaller one then put the arm back into place and woot no slack and much reduced rattly noise, if i get any slack again im thinking of a tiny thin bit of metal that i can slide in on the side to stop the chassis bit getting any more wear :)

ball cups keep coming off as well recently, i cut a slither from a non rubbery wire coating and held with tweezers over the top of the ball joint while i put the cup on and it clicked but with a lot more resistance so nice and tight, hopefully that wont pop off any more and the steering is uninmpaired plus i have a heavy duty speccy servo in it for some reason  :P

hope that drunken post helps other people with hoppers  :)

11 hours ago, ProjectBrutality said:

Finally finished building two ta-02's. Porsche's naturally, the white one is a ta-02sw fully hopped up and ball raced with carbon chassis (the green duck tape is for protection). The black one is a standard is a normal ta-02 with some minor hop-up such as alloy steering arms and a 20kg servo again fully ball raced. Haven't taken them out yet but probably will in the near future. 

IMG_20200716_204013.jpg

IMG_20200716_204030.jpg

IMG_20200716_204209.jpg

IMG_20200716_204424.jpg

IMG_20200716_204236.jpg

IMG_20200716_204442.jpg

IMG_20200716_204052.jpg

Nice, used to have that red chassis model years ago when they first came out new with a bmw racing car shell, i mind it kept killing the bevel gear that connects to the prop shaft and the motor

Ran both thru all packs, dry dusty rally stages with my mates quattro against ma delta. Then took the Mojave out just as the rain came on, he's now off home shopping for one! The wee one needs no more than a blow an brush doon, the truck needs done proper. What's best, let it dry and brush it off or hose it doon? 

DSC_0562.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ProjectBrutality said:

IMG_20200716_204209.jpg

IMG_20200716_204424.jpg

Very nice :thumbsup:  I love the way you can customize the TA-02SW chassis with all the available hop ups. A mixture of different chassis types, gear box colurs etc. Every configuration I've seen doesn't look wrong.

1 hour ago, Acidsnow said:

Ran both thru all packs, dry dusty rally stages with my mates quattro against ma delta. Then took the Mojave out just as the rain came on, he's now off home shopping for one! The wee one needs no more than a blow an brush doon, the truck needs done proper. What's best, let it dry and brush it off or hose it doon? 

DSC_0562.JPG

Strip and oil all bearings, if you don't, they'll seize up. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Nice, used to have that red chassis model years ago when they first came out new with a bmw racing car shell, i mind it kept killing the bevel gear that connects to the prop shaft and the motor

Those porkas are lovely mate I wouldn't mind one of those myself! Very nice

Sorry dude I think I replied to you instead of op. 

Edited by rob foster
Replied to wrong person I think

2 hours ago, Acidsnow said:

There isn't enough like buttons for this rockerlee, definitely need that shell! 

Thanks 👍, I'm pleased how it turned out, I got this from l&l models if your interested. 

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Strip and oil all bearings, if you don't, they'll seize up. 

All of them? Christ on a bike man, be here all night! Are the bearings arrma use any good or are they the cheapest of the cheap? Got a full set here from Colin at Rcbearings but was waiting to tear it down once I'd gathered and made all the bits for it. That's me a confirmed fair weather basher then, minimise the fannyin aboot! 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Acidsnow said:

All of them? Christ on a bike man, be here all night! Are the bearings arrma use any good or are they the cheapest of the cheap? Got a full set here from Colin at Rcbearings but was waiting to tear it down once I'd gathered and made all the bits for it. That's me a confirmed fair weather basher then, minimise the fannyin aboot! 

If a bearing gets wet, that ain't good. You can go the easy route and liberally spray lubricant without removing any of the parts, something's better than nothing. 

Yeah, that's why I only take 'em out in dry weather. I've done wet running, it's great fun, but the maintenance is mandatory and takes an age.