• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dremel type tool advice.

Darren Frosty

i bought a cheaper version off ebay darren does everything i need ie stripped bolts etc red one called variable speed rotary tool came with loads of extras too does the job i guess if you were using for work constantly a original dremel would be better over time but this one does what i need even had a mates arrma pinion that was wedged on motor shaft ie metal and it bumped through it haha 😂

looks like this one bro 👍

GOPR4326.JPG

I've always bought Dremel branded stuff, then I got a knock-off one from Amazon for £30 with loads of bits and honestly... I couldn't really tell the difference.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GXBTDJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My previous Dremels burned out but I think any of these kind of tools just do eventually. 

Had a cheap one, was rubbish and only lasted a year or two. Was used for cutting stainless steel, wood and polishing in that time.

Bought a Dremel over a decade ago for £50 from Argos for a set and it's still going great. In over a decade it's cut stainless steel, carbon fibre, wood, polished metal and more. Personally I'd say go for a genuine Dremel especially as the price difference is usually only £20-£30 odd anyway and they'll be plenty of offers about at Christmas/Boxing day etc. 

+1 on the genuine dremel, i bought a cheap aldi one that burnt out after a year. Bought a dremel with flex shaft attachment, which has been used for cutting stainless, wood , plastic, heavy duty wood carving, and now more recently for rc crawler modifying. Ive had it 3 years and is still good as new

You mention it being a bolt but when we are talking RC sized screws and the like, I have had quite a good experience with a screw extraction set.  Bought one a while back 'just in case' and got to use it the other day on a rounded (from factory, thanks LC Racing) hex head and it worked a treat.

Another +1 on Dremel, got a cheap "not dremel" in aus 20 years ago to cut a computer case side, burnt out after a day.
Took it back and swapped it for a dremel, it cut the case then 2 more and been running it ever since, the quick chuck is a good upgrade cuts the fuss and loads of drill bits fit.
Was worth every dolla! So old it reffers to "the Yellow Pages" for service... no website?

IMAG1771.thumb.jpg.ce7045483ecd7c4f5c75aaa4c4005de2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Won a cheap one from work years ago.  Lasted about a week before it burnt out. Fixed it. Did it again. Ended up fixing it about 5 times in a few months. Then got a dremel and had it good knows how long now. And it gets plenty of abuse. And used it for jobs that are far to big for it to really do. But it did them without issues.  It's slowly dieing now. But it's got to be 15 ish years old. I'd never get a cheap one again. Spend the extra and get a dremel. Cheaper in the long run id say 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hell horn. said:

Won a cheap one from work years ago.  Lasted about a week before it burnt out. Fixed it. Did it again. Ended up fixing it about 5 times in a few months. Then got a dremel and had it good knows how long now. And it gets plenty of abuse. And used it for jobs that are far to big for it to really do. But it did them without issues.  It's slowly dieing now. But it's got to be 15 ish years old. I'd never get a cheap one again. Spend the extra and get a dremel. Cheaper in the long run id say 

yeh dad gave me his old dremel battery powered, its a weak little thing but does the job for small stuff, he also gave me his old wired dremmel which is only a wee bit bigger and wow that thing can take some abuse, cut up full alloy chassis etc with it and it keeps going like a champ, i love the dremmels they are so handy for rc stuff and other tasks 🙂

edit : years ago i was using dads old woolworths wired one that he also gave me and it does not compare to the dremel in any way, used to overheat cutting plastic and ply wood for my boats.

been through a few packs of these bad boys on the dremel cutting through loads of metal https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-SpeedClic-Cutting-Wheels-Accessory/dp/B001DH7X22/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1UTZYQQLR9K7A&keywords=dremel+cutting+discs&qid=1640488699&sprefix=dremel+%2Caps%2C62&sr=8-6

the dremel hasnt skipped a beat, had stripped screws on my mini b recently and dremel got em all out, one got out with the help of my cheap drill in reverse as well but the dremel laid the ground work 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1