• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What's your rc unicorn?

Pistonhead

Right guys and gals, I'm pretty sure we all have that one rig you want with all your hearts desire, that make you think 'I don't need another now i got this', yet remained elusive to your collection for one reason or another.

For me, it's a 5ive T - three or four times now I've been in a position to buy one (even preordered an RTR at one point), but have had to pull out last minute due to unforeseen circumstances.

Of course there are many other rigs i want, but none that i've been smitten with since I clapped eyes on it.

There are 2 for me:

1. Tamiya Monte Carlo Mini - perhaps set of 3 - red, white and blue.

2. FG Racing truck - Caterpillar.

Totally different 'beasts' but never got them, for various reasons.

Mini looks so good, you can't take it out for fear of totalling it.

The FG - no excuse, got some ground clearance and great fun - but I did get the FG MT which sort-of counters this.

Al.

Hmmm good topic :good:

there's been several over the years, after reading your question my initial thoughts are with three models I wouldn't say no to at the moment and that's the Yeti XL kit, Carisma Porsche 959, and the 5T.. there's bound to be more :rolleyes:   The first two I really love the look of, the yeti kit lets you do your own paint scheme and it's sheer size appeals to me, and who doesn't love the 959?!! The 5T is one I've always liked but already have 4 other petrol rc...no room to keep it now :mellow:

i started early so had most of the things that are hard to find now.   so i don't think im after anything to special.    But i have ways wanted a tamiya thunder dragon. i have owned everything else with the same chassis also owned most of the rare tamiya's   but i just never got round to getting the dragon.

I don't think I have a unicorn at the moment it used to be the summit and now I have that. There's a few models I would like, emaxx and a large scale brushless of some description but currently nothing that would make me want to hin out the fleet in order to purchase it.

As much as I adore my Tekno NT48, for the amount i've spent on it in 6 months, could have bought a brand new 5ive, and still have change for engine and pipe lol.

From now on, any rig I spent over £1k on including purchase price, stays.

I'd like a Yokomo Dogfighter 870c or YZ10 - pre '91 but with a top deck just like I used to use back then. They come up from time to time, but the money is oh so silly and I remember they were pretty fragile back in the day. Likewise the Tamiya 959 / Celica - I'd love one but too much money and too much risk. 

That was mine for 2-3yrs, I bit the bullet on the X01 and very happy I did.

I agree completely with this post. Of all my rc's this is by far my favourite.

Am considering adding a losi six too
  • Like 1

5ive B with all the trimmings for me. i do probably earn enough to buy one and fit all the bits id like but with the rest of my hobbies I just dont think I'll ever have the readies handy to get one. 

Maybe the new Tekno MT410 as well but I'm planning on getting that early next year so a moot point really

A tug boat of some description, been wanting one for a while now, maybe 2017 is the year for me, maybe? :bounce:

Or a xmaxx, but don't have room unless the 5ivet goes.....

8 hours ago, sean-vrs said:

The only one for me at the moment is the Xmaxx, didn't like it when they put the price up, then when I did get round to getting one went to Wheelspin and they had it on display next to the new losi monster truck!! By comparison it looked very underwhelming.

I was in awe first time seeing it, and same, once I saw it next to the losi, kinda made the x maxx look lost.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bertberr said:

A tamiya Lamborghini cheetah - my old man had one in the late 70's (jeez that sounds a LONG time ago...), and it's what got me hooked on RC, so probably the most significant RC there is, in my book at least!

My mates still got his (somewhere). I have a few vague memories watching the build and I always remember just how many metal parts were involved with it. It has some weight to it! The first ever RC I laid eyes on. I've seen the odd one come up on eBay for mega money (he's gutted he can't find it now!) :doh:

• Like 1

For me, it is a model that AFAIK does not yet exist in kit form - a proper 1/10 scale brushless Dakar racing truck, ideally by Tamiya.

Since I doubt Tamiya or anyone else would ever produce such a model, it will probably elude me forever...

Edited by XV Pilot

I can honestly say nothing, at all. Been fortunate enough to drop on vintage models of the Quattro, XR311, Wild One and others that were desired as a child.

Perhaps I peaked early, lol.....