• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Get well soon Garry

Rover Man

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Heya big man .

good to see you being strong and looking so well now to a true inspiration to others. 

so you got to swap the camera for a nice comfy seat and a microphone , i bet you felt out of depth for a while but enjoyed the hell out of being in the coms box , must say that view is pretty amazing you had there.

its great to see you rebound back and also congrats on finding your soul mate to , all the best to you and upcoming mrs garry

• 2 months later...

way hey big man great news on the recovery you have come a long way , take your time and keep pluging away at things your a fighter and thats what counts. 

good news on the stick to , i bet they said at home only and in your mind you said " at home my arse , you mean where ever i can and when possible " 

the photos are stunning as usual buddy your little camera gizmo is doing wonders for you keep it all up and keep on snapping 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Alex97 said:

It's good to see you with a controller in your hand 👍👍👍👍

I'll have to do a thread about that specific journey as its been long  arduous but ultimately successful 👍🏼

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garry said:

The stroke left me with one functional right hand, one functional right leg and moderate brain damage. I take longer to process data. I wanted to figure out a way to improve those deficits. RC  racing maybe? I gave it some thought and realised that the hobby might be the key. I can't drive with a regular radio so I tried a few ways of holding a standard controller in one palm,  some better than others I admit.  I realised retail item don't work for racing so I'd have to make my own radio, which I've done, I'm on mark 2 version now! I'm a poor racer compared to how I was pre-stroke but its helping me mentally get back on my feet racing at a local club with new friends and competitors.

Have you looked at the DX5 rugged? The reason i'm asking, is that it comes out of the box with a "lever" on the wheel for one handed use. 

It's intended for people driving crawlers and trail runners i think, where there's periods of just walking next to your RC - but in general, it's intended for one handed use. Might be something to look into, maybe?

2 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Have you looked at the DX5 rugged? The reason i'm asking, is that it comes out of the box with a "lever" on the wheel for one handed use. 

It's intended for people driving crawlers and trail runners i think, where there's periods of just walking next to your RC - but in general, it's intended for one handed use. Might be something to look into, maybe?

Those methods work great for situation where you can drive slowly, then pause, contemplate the next move reposition then go. For racing where you need to be able to catch a car mid-slide and carry on seamlessly, they aren't so great. I did experiment with a 3D printed version but it never felt natural enough to make control instinctive. I've made 2 different alternatives which proved faster on the clock  but it was good to try something to rule it out. Good for the thought process too.