• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

Refreshed the diff and shock oils in my HB D817 & E817 race buggies whilst watching the F1. Hopefully hit the track this week!

50104866863_526147fedc_c.jpg

• Like 2

Bashed em, and it got quite expensive. One Outback needs a new shell and rear diff, and the Savvy needs a new rear dogbone and either a replacement wheel and tyre or ANOTHER new set.

Worth it though :D

IMG_20200712_152703IMG_20200712_160927

Some footage one handed driving footage to follow.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just spent the day in the shed, As like J.K, Watching F1 and stripped down the Thunder Tiger S3 and dropped in a new Go21 I had, Still need a new body., And maybe a new set of shocks just for bling value,Sorry, But if a chassis can be sexy, It's this one, Pretty sure that production cost must be the reason no one has ever done anything like it since, But if Arrma did, Bending chassis's would be a thing of the past.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

i broke a traxxas servo saver i put on my triton and then i put a tamiya one back on and broke that as well lmao

got the stock one back on with the traxxas spring in it  for the moment, also put a 10 tooth pinion on it and the brushless system i had recently put in it no longer over heats, also it seems to be at a good mid point between the stock brushed one and the mental brushless one, very happy with it and all i need to do now is to get a proper servo saver that does not break :)

IaVrirc.jpg

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 3

Been trying to workout why the wing on 5ive-b wasn’t level, yep.. all the m5 screws hold the wing mount shock to tower on are now bananas, bit of a relief really because at first I thought I bent the shock tower or twisted the chassis 😬 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So i had this hpi car with the porsche shell and always wanted an rx7 shell, just because i have a full size 1, so anyway ordered it ages ago and it finally turned up today, i was just going to take the wing off the porsche and fit it onto the new shell but decided it wasnt the right style so  have ordered a more fitting 1

E48A6695-9CED-4ACD-9929-F117653F351F.jpeg

7A7B1463-8820-4A6D-99E8-69288300C2CD.jpeg

• Like 2

Soldered more brass tubes on to the weird tube chassis I have.  Torch I have is a bit ferocious... had to redo a few bits as blasted them right off.  Getting there though.  Also took the WPL for a drive and it ate the rear gears instantly.  Not sure if can be bothered to order the metal internals set.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2020 at 21:30, everclear1984 said:

Bashed em, and it got quite expensive. One Outback needs a new shell and rear diff, and the Savvy needs a new rear dogbone and either a replacement wheel and tyre or ANOTHER new set.

Worth it though :D

IMG_20200712_152703IMG_20200712_160927

Some footage one handed driving footage to follow.... 

I have seen on ebay you can get a Lada Niva shell for these, bit expensive but treated with fake rust it looks good

57 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

I have seen on ebay you can get a Lada Niva shell for these, bit expensive but treated with fake rust it looks good

The crawlers are mostly used by the kids, I'll either patch it with shoe goo (forgot about that stuff until now) or pick up something cheep and cheerful. 

• Like 1

Ran a couple of packs with the mojave, ended up splitting the shell. Back to the shed with shoe goo and scrim tape to fix that. Noticed that despite the scorched parts inner wheelwells the rear arms had a healthy coating of grass an' stoor. Knocked up a pair of guards from an old oil can! Proper job! 

Currently 'improving' a tamiya tt02 with scrap aluminium and knocking up a box to sit the mojave on from scrap chipboard, cannae beat a shed day! 

DSC_0549.JPG

Would very much like a Mojave. 

Tonight I ripped the DBXL a new one. Yeah, these things blow through 7000mah in just over ten minutes, but it's ten magical minutes. Love it!

The DBXL is far more agile than the 5ive platform, but I love 'em both. 

• Like 1

Did some work to my ftx comet today.  Its very much a one off now. Cut out battery tray. Glued in a chassis plate to fill gap.  Made up some tall body posts to fit my new shell for it.

Its running 3s lipo and will end up as a drag build eventually.  Just need to find a some wheels for it next. And then drop front/rear suspension down a bit. 

IMG_20200714_203119.jpg

• Like 1

made the holes in the garden bigger with the grass hopper..... so much dust  :D

the little ball cup for one of the wheels or both on the steering links are starting to pop off a fair bit, gonna have to do something about that but other wise it is taking tons of abuse, need to get a vid of just how much abuse for over an hour a time or 2 lol

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Haha 1

Day of between shifts so thought I would check out and see if the engine starts on the CRT eBay pickup, I new it had been moved on because of the OWB in the engine, It just all adds up, So dropped the back off and gave it a WD40 clear out and a light sandpaper of the RotoStart shaft, All back together, And first blip on the starter wand it fired up, but not ticking over and way to much oil, Found base settings and away it went, Sweet as nut, Needs a tune but it's almost there.

Could feel the diffs had next to nothing in them in the way of oil or grease, It was at this point my reason for it be moved on were all but confirmed, As we all know, RotoStart motors have higher engine mounts, So to use a starter box you have to change the RotoStart back plate to sealed back plate and install standard engine mounts, Or, You can hack away at the chassis and make the starter wheel cut out bigger and hope your starter wheel will still reach.

Not the end of the world cos it was such a bargain, But you gotta laugh.

spacer.png

• Like 1

So today i replaced.1 of the rear hubs on my savage xl as when changing some rear wheel bearings the outer race got stuck in the alloy hub and would not come out and had to go back to a plastic 1, so bought some second hand ones on here so swapped it over and greased the outer races of the bearings to stop them sticking again hopefully.

then my ongoing battle with my cen genesis engine, original engine wore out and tried replacing the piston and liner and no matter what i tried couldnt get it out so bought another engine through their engine replacement scheme, anyway no matter what i have tried i always get a bad air leak resealed the end plate, the cooling head/shims and the carb, so i took the drastic step to modify the carb from an lrp30 so it fitted in the cen engine and if this doesnt work (fingers crossed for tomorrow) i am  going to count my losses with this engine buy a clutch bell, engine mount and pinion gears from a cen gsr Then buy a force .36 and then problem solved

2608045D-F1F4-413B-94B3-DB2CFE5FD6CA.jpeg

69AC2193-A346-4201-AEFC-E92472F537D5.jpeg

60420B00-640B-4802-AACF-98E2AB617DB1.jpeg

I started this last night and added the final bits this morning...

20200715-165238.jpg

Every bag had this label in to say who packed it, nice touch. 

20200715-172251.jpg

The steel ball joints were missing from the front so I've contacted X-ray to hopefully I get replacements within a week or so. 

20200715-210022.jpg

Lots of carbon fibre and nice alloy parts, I went for the US version as it has a alloy chassis and is slightly stiffer so should be better for speed runs. 

20200715-211923.jpg

The kit includes a 92t spur however I'll be using a 72t spur with a 55t pinion. I usually hate building ball diffs however this wasn't too bad. 

20200716-094857.jpg

All finished, I'll be running a 120a ESC with a 3.5t motor so that will let me run with 2 and 3s and then I'll just use a micro servo. 

At some point I'll order the shell which is going to be a phat LMP body shell and that will be painted orange with some blue splats. 

For £125 it's very good value for money however if I'd paid the £300 RRP I'd have felt slightly short changed however as per all X-ray products the quality is exceptional. 

• Like 2

Almost destroyed my new shell on its first run. Mega fun now I have modded the ftx comet a lot. In 2s its fast but I can control it well.  On 3s its going to be mega fun to race about. 

I'm looking for some drag wheels for it. But no luck so far. 

IMG_20200716_163619.jpg