• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

10 minutes ago, rockerlee said:

Finished making my driver, turned out better than I thought they would.

20200408_164601_copy_756x1008.jpg

20200525_172341_copy_3024x2268.jpg

20200525_172316_copy_3024x2268.jpg

20190815_191952_copy_2268x3024.jpg

They look awesome, hats off to you 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CarlC said:

Have started the build on the Tamiya XR311 the other half got me for my birthday. This will be a totally stock build, just as I would have built my first one when I was around 12 years old. I did notice that when building the gearbox you have gears for 3 speed options, slow, medium and fast. I wonder if anyone ever built one and used the slow option lol.

And we're up to driveable chassis - I had forgotten how horrible it is to setup the torque bar suspension, but other than that a fun build so far

After building the WW2 I'd quite like an XR311. Good job on the build, can't wait to see it finished :thumbsup:

45 minutes ago, rockerlee said:

20200408_164601_copy_756x1008.jpg

They're brilliant :lol: really good work.

• Thanks 1

So what have i done to my rig today............nothing that cost any money, i walked past the bench where the ford is sitting and stopped and thoiught "Maybe its not to bad after all" now i think maybe i can learn to like the lurid green and gold paintwork, even though i have another same shell on pre order, best i start using it and like it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarlC said:

They look awesome, hats off to you 

1 hour ago, ChrisT said:

After building the WW2 I'd quite like an XR311. Good job on the build, can't wait to see it finished :thumbsup:

They're brilliant :lol: really good work.

Thanks 😀

• Like 1

Fitted a brushless motor mount to the 8th scale project.  Bit of a ball ache. But got it sorted. 

One more step towards project rat rod done. 

In the process of building this buggy, I have started back from the beginning more than I think any other project, of any faculty, I have done in my life.

I plan on really pushing this thing after some experiments and turning it into a bit of a speed buggy but for the time being, I just want to get it on the road.

The difficulty in the process to now has included:
Removing the Arrma alloy diff cases and going back to stock plastic for a better gear mesh inside the gearbox.
Clearencing the rear brace, and the servo mount so that it will take the Titanium 8mm shafts. I also wet sanded them back to a lovely polish, because.... Reasons.
Replacing bearings that we're fine until I put them into place, then they got crunchy.
Losing my temper with the steering rack that siezed on and smashing it with a mallet (it was in reach) till it came off... Bending my Titanium steering rack and the steering posts in the process [emoji19]

Today I feel like finally took some big steps, and although I'm not finished, I can see the light.

Body is trimmed and almost on (Need to figure out rear posts still), front and rear ends done, diffs done, servo all pretty much sorted.

Whether or not my different F/R gearing and big rear wheels will work... Is another story (probably not).

If anyone knows some good 1/6-1/7 wheels for a buggy, throw some suggestions at me. I'm hoping for on road ~120-130mm diameter.

4cc17d759057c1b63ca11daab6f8a6da.jpgadc7339f04edca655f7d094dedbce040.jpg

On 27/05/2020 at 17:13, rockerlee said:

20200525_172341_copy_3024x2268.jpg

you made these from scratch lee ?
youve got skills :)

what are the made of ... resin, or wax, or something like that ?

11 minutes ago, Ag100 said:

Looks like it’s running nicely, are you happy with it?

Yea I’m more than happy with it, you won’t find a much better performing brushless 5ive without mega money electrics 👍 

5 hours ago, Inferno-Chris said:

you made these from scratch lee ?
youve got skills :)

what are the made of ... resin, or wax, or something like that ?

Thanks, Yes made them from scratch,  I try and make most things first before I buy, I used my wife's clay that you bake in the oven and it sets hard like plastic, will see how they stand up to a little abuse.

• Like 1

Destroyed another foam 😥 This is getting old. Fortunately the tyre could be saved this time with a bit of glue, unfortunately it means on wheel is now running sans foam.

IMG_20200528_215418

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Destroyed another foam 😥 This is getting old. Fortunately the tyre could be saved this time with a bit of glue, unfortunately it means on wheel is now running sans foam.

IMG_20200528_215418

Duct tape them before putting them in the tyres, increases their strength. You could use the duct tape to partially salvage that wrecked foam. 

• Like 1

They came pre glued so unfortunately that wasn't an option. I will definitely tape the next set I buy 👍 I would try to salvage the foam, but I'd have to remove the tyre in order to re fit it. 

Took the X2 out earlier to test the LVC, not sure it's working. Running 10S with an alarm on each pack, had to give in and stop as it was just letting the voltage dip too low, the packs came off at 2 and 3%, saved them just in time. 

More testing to follow.