• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did the postie bring you today?

53HRA

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

Max6 is definitely a must

I went down this route, stock motor and new esc. Although it was an improvement, I had issues with heat and the esc would cut out if using on a warm day and driven hard.

If you can stretch to it, the max5 is a better choice. Mines an absolute beast now! Has leg room vs the max6 that has to work flat out to cope.

Tbf if it was geared down, would have probably been fine, but I like the speed. Once you’ve had a taste of a huge jump, anything less is a bit underwhelming. 

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

I went down this route, stock motor and new esc. Although it was an improvement, I had issues with heat and the esc would cut out if using on a warm day and driven hard.

You're quite the minority then. The vast majority of owners run Max6' just fine. Including me. If you add plenty of stupid stuff like metal bits and proline wheels, it might become a problem - a stock X-Maxx runs perfectly fine all day long with just a Max6, even geared up. I know, because i do. My guess would be a naff ESC, or not factory weight. 

A Max5 doesn't fit without major surgery/new parts, and is mounted considerably higher than a Max6 too, making it more top heavy and handle even worse.

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Tbf if it was geared down, would have probably been fine, but I like the speed. Once you’ve had a taste of a huge jump, anything less is a bit underwhelming. 

Mine's geared 20/46, as are loads of others on Max6s. I have never had the ESC cut out. Not once. 

edit: 

@Kpowell911 

I've got the moment mine went poof on video, after three months of ownership. I'm pretty sure they still go pop.

edit2: bit anticlimactic, i know - but that was the end of the VXL - just turned off with a "click" noise, after that it turned on but didn't work anymore, couldn't even turn it off anymore without disconnecting the batteries. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

You will need the wallet on hand if you drive it heavy handed, seen this model break a fair bit

We'll see. Already changed motor/ESC/tyres/servo, if shocks bend i'll switch to TRX GTS shocks, otherwise i'm not sure what's supposed to break. 

@Tadas @m4inbrain @Kpowell911 @Ant.p thanks for the comments and feedback gents.

I have returned the ID equipment (charger, lipos, Bluetooth module) back to MS before I got them out the box - Last thing I want is the ESC packing up then I’m left with ID lipos when I can just run normal 8s with a Max ESC! 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2022 at 16:23, m4inbrain said:

Max6 is definitely a must, since the VXL will go pop (will, not might). 

Stock servo is completely fine. I'm running the stock servo now for over two years and it does the job just fine, it's an upgrade as you break item. I would order the servo adapter though, just to have it ready if/when the servo lets go (only drop in upgrade is the 2085X, which is garbage). Since its an aliexpress item (if you want the alloy mount/adapter), it takes weeks to arrive, and it's cheap (around a tenner) - might as well order one and throw it in the spares pile. 

Also important to note, the stock receiver only takes 6v - so if you go for a Max6 and a new decent servo, you probably also need to throw your main radio at it unless you want to run the servo at 6v. 

Otherwise, congratulation. Best RC on the market, imho.

How is stock servo fine?! Try turning wheels in grass 😄 How is 2085X garbage?! Using it - loving it!

P.S. SS bottom plates (just front and back) would say are a must  - saves a lot of money!

1 hour ago, Tadas said:

How is stock servo fine?! Try turning wheels in grass 😄 How is 2085X garbage?! Using it - loving it!

P.S. SS bottom plates (just front and back) would say are a must  - saves a lot of money!

Try moving when turning the wheels.

Stock servo is 25kg, 2085x is 32kg. For bloody £105+. You tell me how that is not garbage if for a fiver more you get a 2290 BE with what, 60kg and 0.1sec?

If you are happy - enjoy. Doesn't make the servo good.

PS: i've got stronger servos in my 1/10 buggies lol.

Edited by m4inbrain

4 hours ago, Tadas said:

I second that. Even if it’s only a little stronger; the x combined with the stiffer spring for the servo saver transforms the truck and is adequate unlike the stock one. 

• Like 2

On 05/09/2022 at 20:53, m4inbrain said:

You're quite the minority then. The vast majority of owners run Max6' just fine. Including me. If you add plenty of stupid stuff like metal bits and proline wheels, it might become a problem - a stock X-Maxx runs perfectly fine all day long with just a Max6, even geared up. I know, because i do. My guess would be a naff ESC, or not factory weight. 

A Max5 doesn't fit without major surgery/new parts, and is mounted considerably higher than a Max6 too, making it more top heavy and handle even worse.

Mine's geared 20/46, as are loads of others on Max6s. I have never had the ESC cut out. Not once. 

edit: 

@Kpowell911 

I've got the moment mine went poof on video, after three months of ownership. I'm pretty sure they still go pop.

edit2: bit anticlimactic, i know - but that was the end of the VXL - just turned off with a "click" noise, after that it turned on but didn't work anymore, couldn't even turn it off anymore without disconnecting the batteries. 

I didn’t want to bite, but can’t resist….

FYI I have an almost entirely stock Xmaxx other than upgraded esc, servo, wheels and gearing.

there are some other ‘improvements’ like bolts to replace the hinge pins and rpm hubs with larger inner bearings.

I service  the truck on a regular basis, and all is running freely as it should.

wheels are Louise x pioneer and are very similar  weight to stock but last way longer. I had several tyres tear (not using self right) but since changing haven’t had any issues with Louise, they’re also cheaper than stock.

to counter your argument, I’m not lying. What I said are facts, like it or lump it. I didn’t want to spend more on a bigger esc (btw max6 works without fault in my Mojave) but in the Xmaxx , it was not up to the job. I have 22/46 gearing and it now runs like a dream with leg room on the max5, which needed a £10 mount from eBay with no other mods at all - major surgery?! 😂

Don’t make out you know it all and argue against what I know. Maybe you don’t drive yours hard enough? Maybe you think you’re an Xmaxx expert? 

I like this forum, shame some can’t see past their own egos. This is a hobby, meant to be fun, and this a place to share ideas and support one another, right?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Try moving when turning the wheels.

Stock servo is 25kg, 2085x is 32kg. For bloody £105+. You tell me how that is not garbage if for a fiver more you get a 2290 BE with what, 60kg and 0.1sec?

If you are happy - enjoy. Doesn't make the servo good.

PS: i've got stronger servos in my 1/10 buggies lol.

I don't follow your logic - if the part works and does its job well, how is it garbage?! You run on stock - how could you know the difference? If we would have been talking about prices - of course there are plenty cheaper alternatives. Everyone has their own hobby budged - as long as it makes you happy 😉 

2 hours ago, .AJ. said:

Back on topic please, we have a huge X-max thread if you want to carry on with the discussion over on that 

Today the post man person bought me….

DCB21364-C749-4-D00-9-CF8-218722-B350-BA

A pair of SSD Ryft diff lockers 👍 

Sorry boss. Was less discussion, more defending myself though. I won’t do it again; promise! So long as no one else annoys me, that is 😇

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Slash’s are such a fun truck to upgrade, Ive built so many of them, yet Im still after another!

Yeah, I never really had the funds last time round to upgrade/hop up any of my cars so it has been fun. I'm trying to tell myself to stop, but then I spot stuff like THIS. It's got to make it handle better, right?!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ReggieC said:

spacer.png

Heavy duty A-arms and an RPM front bumper for the Slash. Really need to stop spending on this haha

I save a lot of bumpers with SS bottom covers, not sure if there are any for your model, but it works for XMaxx - just have to hammer it out straight after some collisions 🙂