• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC Regret

wolfie1

Has anyone ever bought a model and regretted it afterwards?

I will start this off by saying a Traxxas Slayer when they first come out, very fast but way too unstable and twitchy to just drive and enjoy, was always having to put it back on its wheels after turning at anything faster than walking speed, tried fitting harder springs and anti roll bars but didnt make much difference

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 2

Kyosho Double Dare monster truck in 1989.  Awful to build and performed even worse.  Totally riddled with design faults and put me off the Kyosho brand for decades.  Why didn't I just get a Clod Buster instead?

Edited by BlackSeaRC
  • Like 3

This might set people off but when I got my savage, all it did was roll over all the time. I know its maybe user error as people kept telling me to use trigger control but it was just hard to keep it on its wheels. I do still like savages but to me, its just tad to hard to control.

• Like 3

time to list some i hated  Hobao DC1 crawler, pants *** also i built a Tamiya Blackfoot MT as i had the Mudblaster as my first rc, sadly memory lane played tricks on me and it really failed to relive the old days****just about any road car has me bored after one pack, this is a little odd because my second car years ago was a Kyosho RS500 cossie and that was fun at the time***next was Arrma Senton 3s, this Uturn really wound up some people on here as i put that up for sale after one run, TBH i did not feel the claimed quality was there and totally hated the way it filled up the chassis with grass, leaves twigs stone dog poo rocks, cig butts so on so on****

This all makes me look a bad person but i have stated many times if i dont like something i wont use it, no room in this house for static models that sit and gather dust

on thr plus side i have had a lot of models i have enjoyed, some have been moved on as they were starting to age (always a good time to sell while there is some fair resale value), some nice models have been moved on just to finance something better and to free up rc storage room, as i have very little room to store rc`s

• Like 1

I just find it such a pain in the ass to sell them, dealing with idiots on Ebay and the likes..

So I'm a hoarder, I currently need to fund a new project and to be honest I probably have enough here to sell to pay for the whole project twice over..🤣🤔

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BashingBrian said:

Out of curiosity where do you sell them ?? what do you find works best

in the classifieds on here there is facebook market place and ebay but if selling on ebay i wait till i get 70% of final value fee, if the model is in very good condition then 2/3 of new price if a little used looking then 50% new price is my guide

• Like 1

Another 1 

Kyosho DBX a 1/10 nitro that was almost as bad as the Surge lol 

So fragile scared to run it if we got it started , the engine mounts kept working loose as well no matter how much threadlock we used , it really was pants 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

Another 1 

Kyosho DBX a 1/10 nitro that was almost as bad as the Surge lol 

So fragile scared to run it if we got it started , the engine mounts kept working loose as well no matter how much threadlock we used , it really was pants 

oh eck i forgot my one and only nitro, a Panda Ferrari Testarossa thingy that was a complete cow to start, once running fit the body only for it to die, repeat repeat repeat, it ended up crashing and i gave the nasty vile oily smelly pig away

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Everything has a price and everything I own is unofficially for sale. Theres nothing I own I wouldnt sell, but I think Im quite sensible with what I buy as it usually holds its value and is easy to sell. Because of this the hobby doesnt physically cost me as much as it appears to perhaps. Its why Ill never buy a budget RC or a WL Toys/FMS etc. its nothing to do with the quality of the product, they just lose their value over night or are hard to sell. If it has a Traxxas/Arrma etc brand, it gets good money used and is easy to move on.

Regarding the shelfer comments. I cant disagree with the logic. But I work full time, and have a life outside of RC. Im never going to have the time to physically use an RC of any description every day etc. Shelfers are something Ive moved into recently. Im fortunate now to be able to

afford/justify the RCs I wanted as a kid. Im lucky to be in a position where I have a spare room filled with RCs and I can go in there before or after work and just look at and take in the fact Ive now managed to get some of my dream RCs as a kid. I can also take pics and share them on forums, which bizarely is giving me as much satisfaction as bashing or using an RC 

Its each to their own and what makes the human race so diverse and interesting re the shelfers for me if i had millions in the bank and 4 spare rooms i still would not have shelfers but not knocking people that do this aspect of the hobby

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lone-wolf said:

in the classifieds on here there is facebook market place and ebay but if selling on ebay i wait till i get 70% of final value fee, if the model is in very good condition then 2/3 of new price if a little used looking then 50% new price is my guide

Classifieds here I come 🤣👍🏼

• Like 1

A few years ago i had a thunder tiger nitro Ducati which was an amazing bit of engineering, only had it out 2-3 times for like 1-2 tanks at a time, it sat gathering dust on an obscure shelf not readily visible for many years, decided to sell it i got more for it than what i paid for it! We moved house some years later and now i have a perfect place for it in the hallway, oh well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My regrets tend to be selling cars I should've kept and keeping cars I should've sold. 

Super 5sc Flux was a dog, should've sold it, but enjoyed driving it too much. So stuck with it until I'd ironed out all the kinks, now it runs right for me and what I want from a car. Took a few tries though. 

Should've kept the Summit, was a good all rounder. 

• Like 2

HPI Jumpshot, few quality problems when new left a bad taste and it doesn't get used as much as it should.

I also regret being tentative getting back into the hobby and went via cheap/brushed/nimh cars first which while fun, were technically a waste of money and in hindsight I would have just jumped straight in to something quick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stretch said:

I had one but it was so rubbish I appear to have erased what it was called from my memory but it's bugging me.now so will do some searching....

Still waiting! What was it?

Honestly the Tamiya TT-02 SRX, I should have either bought the TT-02S or better yet since I bought the £300 Yeah Racing complete conversion kit, just a TT-02 carbon fiber chassis, as the Yeah Racing complete conversion kit includes everything you need to turn an aftermarket carbon fiber chassis into a complete TT-02 rolling chassis.

Selling a few of them, unfortunately when I was younger (13-18) I didn't have any proper money (adult money) so whenever I wanted a new RC something had to go. 

I wish I'd never sold my...

• Original tamiya mad bull, this was my first RC I got for Christmas when I was about 10 or 11. In comparison now it's utter dog 💩 but it was my first RC so will always be special. 
  • My first "competition buggy" a Factory team associated B4, the imperial hardware was extremely annoying but it was  really good. Got me into buggy racing which inturn layed the foundations for my career in engineering. 
  • Original M03, this was brought 2nd hand and for mini racing then converted into a rally car, I don't have any pictures of it which is unfortunate but if my memory serves me correctly in comparison to my current one it would be considered very rough but it was great fun.