• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

When you tidy up the workshop....

Nitroholic

On 05/08/2021 at 13:40, Nitroholic said:

and you think...hmmm...that might work.

Was tidying my stock of Hyper parts up, seperating and putting together complete assemblies just to see what I had after I got everything unpacked following a recent house move.

Shocks, wheels, a load of parts... I also had my brushless converted one out on the table as I was thinking about a rework of it's component layout.

Was looking at the bits all together, comparing the steering setups.....

L9PdRqL.jpg

when I also found this....which I had put together a little while back. It's made up from 2 spare Hyper 7 diff cases, with the mating surfaces cleaned up, and a slice out for a shock tower. Basically...it's a pass through diff for a 6 wheel drive setup. I plan to make a tube to replace the driveshaft cups to link the pinions together...

qRqzcFl.jpg

Now I want to build this....

dsI0sdf.jpg

I mean...everyone should have a 6 weheel drive 4 wheel steer buggy.... right?

Wowww, looks like an ancient Tyrrell F1.

• Like 1

I have hooked up the steering this afternoon, but now need to make a new servo mount and battery tray. Will need to fire up the 3D printer for those.

Then I need to make up some top deck braces. I want to brace the front two diffs, and across to the centre diff....and then back to the rear diff. The ESC will sit on the rear brace.

I have a fun idea for that ...which might or might not work...

I also have to sort an issue with the row 2 axles. Both fronts have CVDs which is nice...but the second set needed to have more canber than htey should to sit the pins in the drive cups. They just look to be too short! ahubs on the left is a right hand one, upside down. Don't think thats really helping matters. I may have to remove the CVDs and swap them to dogbones and see what I can do. Looks odd with 2 different cambers....and I don;t want huge negative camber on all wheels.

Been thinking about the shell ....  got a few ratty Hyper 7 ones....so I might just cut up a couple and see what fits 🙂

Well...what a faff!

My 2 'Hyper 7' front ends are not exactly what they should be! One is proper. 100% Hyper 7. The other is a mongrel!

The driveshafts don;t fit because the arms are actually about 3mm too long. They were made to fit by winding the top arms in to shorten the distance enough. The ends of the arms should be open...

H87024_x.jpg

But the second set are closed. The pivot point is off a bit. The moulding pattern looks identical, and the outer end is chunkier than the Hyper ST ones...but closed like them. No idea what model they are off, but I assume it's another Hobao...... It can;t be a Hyper 7 though, as the driveshafts just don't fit. The hubs are identical ( though I do need to sort an issue with the pivot bushes on one, as it was not done up tight, just locked with a ton of threadlock. The ferrule is binding. Will fix that easy enough with aplain shanked bolt that can be tightened without binding.

Meantime.... the 'rogue' arms are getting a mod. Drilled a fresh hole for the end pivot, and modded the plastic upright to clear by removing a bit of material from the inside of the cross brace. This lets the upright sit 3mm in from where it was. I have plugged the old hole with a nylon plug superglued in for good measure. I want to minimise stress and not create a weakspot with the second hole. I left the end closed......so really it ought to be strong enough. I might end up buying some proper arms at some point, but I will see how this goes. Don;t mind butchering these arms, as they would not have been ay good as spares anyway!

End result.... all 4 front wheels with sensible camber!

edit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203255040551?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Those are what I had. They are listed as Hyper 7 .... but the 2 setups while generally the same are not compatable completely.

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Like 2

On 15/08/2021 at 21:55, Nitroholic said:

Yup...the Tyrell P34 was my main inspiration

Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpg

Try the FW08 B

Edit - for some reason I thought the 2 sets of wheels were at the rear and not the front.

f1-williams-40th-anniversary-2017-felipe-massa-demonstrates-a-six-wheeled-williams-fw08.jpg

Edited by Alex97
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Redback said:

Amazing! how did you get the driveshaft to the front? In the middle did you use 2 diff housing ouputs? did they fit together fine? did you have to flip the diff to retain correct rotation on the front?

Have a read through he explains everything lol

@Redback basically....the Hyper 7 diff housing is broadly symetrical. They front and rear halves key together with a ridge that runs around the join, fitting into a groove on the other side. I took 2 'backs', trimmed the joining ridge off, and bolted them up. That gives 2 output shafts. The diff in there does rreverse the rotation when the drive comes out....so the front diff is flipped over. Again, Hyper 7 housings don;t care which way round the diff goes....unlike Savage ones...where the case slopes and a diff only fits one way.  I then made up a very short driveshaft cutting, shutting and welding a sleeve over the join. The rest....is easy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it appears to turn well :good:

3 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

Video is a bit shonky, as I was trying to hold the phone and point it while steering and looking where I was going. Screw this multi-tasking lark!

But you get the idea 🙂

maybe you should have got the mrs to do it mate :rofl:

• Haha 1

If I put 2 more wheels on the back....I'd have to add 2 more to the front....on principle! Don't have enough parts 🤪 Maybe next time.......

Going to try and adjust the rear steering angles to reduce the throw on turning to get a graduated turning effect. Currentrly, It's pulling the front sideways as much as turning, and I want to reduce that effect as under power...it can lose grip at the rear and crab. I reckon by moving the linkage pivot points I can reduce the steering movement while keeping it proportional.

I also need to tidy up my bodged shell a bit, and fabricate a front mount for it. If at some point I decide I want to buy a proper shell, I want to know exactly what modification it will need to fit right. A knackered overpainted shell is the perfect way to experiment!

Then...I can think about what I might mess with next.... might be time to see if I can make a swing-axle front end for a Baja....or if I can figure out how to make track brakes for a halftrack and some hub adaptors that would take a drive sprocket. I really need a lathe......

• Like 1