• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Are Any Racing Truggy Kit’s Tough Enough For Everyday Use?

Hello

I have a Kronos XTR that does everything that I want, on 4s only, other than stay in one piece!

There are no jumps where my son and I bash about, bumps, stones, rocks, dirt, puddles, dusty concrete, gravel, yes, but no jumps!

The Kronos handles all of this as long as it stays on all 4 wheels, but as soon as it has a tumble, it breaks. Steering blocks, CVD’s, ball joints, shock ends and the odd wing normally. I’ve tried fitting Arrma Pillow balls, buy they still pop. The Corally parts are just weak.

I’ll add that Corally have sent me some parts FOC to try and mitigate the issues, their support is great, but the issues remain.

The handling, control and performance of the Kronos are spot on for the area we have, which steers me towards a Truggy rather than a Monster Truck.

So, I was wondering which, if any, of the racing Truggy’s, Losi, Associated, Tekno, X-ray and Hobao for example,  may prove tougher, therefore better, than a Kronos? 

Traxxas Maxx and Xmaxx would just fall over at every high speed turn, though there toughness is not in question here, and it sounds like the Arrma Kraton breaks parts too? I also have 4s batteries and the electronics from the XTR should there be a kit of interest.

I might be after something that doesn’t exist, an rc car that drives and handles like the Kronos, but stays together for more than one drive?

You might get that I’m a little disillusioned, well I am. I thought that driving RC cars was supposed to be enjoyable, not frustrating.

Any thoughts much appreciated, even if it’s “learn to drive”!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SWF
Too many Hello’s

So, I was wondering which, if any, of the racing Truggy’s, Losi, Associated, Tekno, X-ray and Hobao for example,  may prove tougher, therefore better, than a Kronos? 

tbh most truggys would have no  problems bashing round a flat offroad area no problem not sure why the corally parts keep breaking though 😞 obv you will flip a bit more with the longer arms if not coming off the power while turning etc but unless your jumping them they shouldnt be falling apart hell i bash my tekno on quarry like areas no problems but soon as i send her over jumps she will start to break lol 

sounds like you need something tougher 

I'm assuming you're launching these trucks pretty high? Race trucks are tough and the parts are arguably better quality but will anything stand being launched high time and time again? A few I know race the Mugen truggy and it's tough, handles like a dream on a track.

I have an XTR, haven't launched it too high yet but haven't really broken anything apart from a wing! I've heard about the pivot balls popping out, I have had that happen following a cartwheel!

Thanks for the replies.

No launching off anything here. It might get a couple of feet in the air, off bumps on the tracks, but that’s all. It’s not any attempt to launch it.

I want something that drives like the Kronos but can survive a tumble?

Other than wings, the back end has been solid. All the problems seem to be with the front end plastics, and the consequences of them breaking on the metal parts.

It starts to get expensive, new parts every week!

Again, I do love the way the Kronos drives, it’s the best car we have in that respect.

Cheers

Corally are supposed to be sorting the pivot ball issue I've just seen on the FB page. I checked with Per too and he has also confirmed it. Hopefully only a temporary blip in durability.

Best value race truggy has to be the Associated, roughly £480ish if you shop around. It's tough too! You could drop the electrics from the Kronos straight into it.

• Like 1

I had a Hobao Hyper ST with some pro parts on it. That was virtually unbreakable.

I had some centre diff issues becuase I put a stupidly large 40-82 can in it, which just ripped the tyres off the wheels...and chewed up centre diffs. It spent most of its time trying to bury its rear wing in the dirt and cartwheeling. Then the ESC volcanoed...and I didn;t have the cash for another...so I sold the truck on. If you are worried about breaking stuff....getan ST pro.

Of course....it's not a 'real' race truck, its basicalkly a beefed up RTR truggy, with a load of improved parts, so it won;t drive as well as your current one. It will drive for a lot longer though 🙂

• Like 2

I don’t do social media so have no visibility of FB, so thanks for letting me know.

Maybe I should leave the Kronos broken for now and just wait?

It could be a long wait though, unless I’m mistaken there seem to be global supply issues, so the upgrade parts could be months away. 

I’ll get busy investigating your suggestions, thanks for the input!

It's not a truggy but my Associated RC8B3.1E has been mega durable. Nothing has broken over the past year including many trips to the BMX track. 

If you do get a race truggy I'd strongly suggest running proper truggy race wheels as they are so much lighter and put less stress on the arms. The stock Kronos wheels are imo (as an Internet expert, I don't own one) too big and heavy and don't help the durability.  

• Like 2

I have a buggy, a Radix 4s, which is great fun but with the narrow tyres and short wheelbase it gets knocked offline a lot. We are on an old railway siding covered in gravel and ballast, as well as concrete areas covered in dust and dirt.

I doesn’t break as often as the Kronos, never popped a pillow ball for example. Same design but less stress

The front shock tower is too vulnerable on buggies, my Hyper 7’s and now the Radix take a bend on most runs. I’ve just modified and fitted Typhon top mounts to see if the protectors help it skid rather than bend?

The longer wheelbase and wider tyres of truggies just work better in the area we can use, if that makes sense?

I've got a hobao st pro and it is tough. I've broken a few things but I'm not gentle with it. Id definitely recommend it.  I've just converted it to electric now too. 

They have been out of stock since February when I bought it though. Most shops seem to say end of June for stock though so maybe there's a shipment finally coming. 

• Like 1

If the budget allows, a Tekno ET48 would be epic, but you can easily sink £800 into one by the time youre running. 

As much as I moan about mine, a Kraton EXB sounds like it would be a good choice too, again not cheap mind. Id suggest the latest Kraton 6S RTR (V5?) would be better if budget is a concern

Edited by Guns
  • Like 1

Hi

Value and the performance on 4s were what got me into the Kronos. I’m very happy with it’s performance and handling, but it breaks easily.

The Kraton should have been my original buy, I think. It probably drives in a similar manner to the Kronos and would have been much more reliable I suspect? Something to consider though.

Not really looking at budget, the electronics would come from the Kronos, so it would be kit, wheels, tyres and paint? 

I’ve dropped lots of cash into spares on the Kronos, so it’s not proved to be a cheaper option over the Kraton for example. Something that doesn’t break, at even double the cost of the Kronos XTR, could eventually repay the investment? I’ve not added it up but it’s well over £100, probably nearer £200, or more, in spares thus far and it’s currently broken needing a driveshaft, steering block, turnbuckle  and rod ends.

I hear that the Tekno are super tough, but just looked and the toytown body shell and exposed shock tower scare me!

I could get an XMaxx or Mini Maxx, but they would be traction rolling all of the time with my driving, so I’m certain I want something Truggy esc.

A solid Kronos, is that a Kraton or racing Truggy?

Will the Corally solution, when it arrives, solve the issues?

Can I wait?

Thanks again for the info and perspective, you’re a great resource for the ill informed like me!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

After the pointers that you all provided, thanks again, I’ve spent hours looking at this!

The Kronos XTR has been behaving recently, no breakages, and really does drive and go well.

Strangely, it has made me think that the Radix is less able where we drive, though it has proven to be tough, with no mechanical breakages.

So, my thoughts on Racing Truggies?

Looking at the RC8T, pillow balls make me afraid, though it is the best value of the true race cars. No bashing videos of this that I can find? My experience with the Kronos/Radix suggest that the strength of a buggy does not necessarily transfer to a Truggy platform.

The Losi  8ight XTE, it looks very capable and strong, but the example I found regards chassis flex suggests that rear central driveshafts bend quite often.  I’ve seen suggestion that fitting a Mojave front centre drive shaft helps, but surely that will just stress the diff drives? There don’t appear to be parts available to make it stronger either.

If the Tekno ET48.3 we’re still available, I’d have bought one! There are parts to strengthen the chassis, should flex start to break things. However, they are no more and the ET48 2.0 doesn’t look like the 48.3 strengthening parts will fit? Fitting MT410 parts to an ET48.3 chassis has crossed my mind, but the extra parts needed, shock towers, wing mount etc made my head spin.

I’m going to keep the Kronos and wait for the upgraded parts, it is fantastic when it’s working.

But that is not the end of this?

Converting a Hobao Hyper ST Pro to electric, using the Radix as a doner is looking like a great project?

Resist, resist!

If the ET48.3 we’re still available, I’d have bought one.

Cheers

Steve

5 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Dont think you can go far wrong with the Hyper ST Pro and converting to electric 

*Stares at his unused ST Pro Conversion*

I really should spray that shell! 😆

Ian...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep looking, but not spotted one yet.

Doubt I’d be the only one interested either!

Lots more in America than here in the UK I suspect?

On 20/06/2021 at 00:23, SWF said:

After the pointers that you all provided, thanks again, I’ve spent hours looking at this!

The Kronos XTR has been behaving recently, no breakages, and really does drive and go well.

Strangely, it has made me think that the Radix is less able where we drive, though it has proven to be tough, with no mechanical breakages.

So, my thoughts on Racing Truggies?

Looking at the RC8T, pillow balls make me afraid, though it is the best value of the true race cars. No bashing videos of this that I can find? My experience with the Kronos/Radix suggest that the strength of a buggy does not necessarily transfer to a Truggy platform.

The Losi  8ight XTE, it looks very capable and strong, but the example I found regards chassis flex suggests that rear central driveshafts bend quite often.  I’ve seen suggestion that fitting a Mojave front centre drive shaft helps, but surely that will just stress the diff drives? There don’t appear to be parts available to make it stronger either.

If the Tekno ET48.3 we’re still available, I’d have bought one! There are parts to strengthen the chassis, should flex start to break things. However, they are no more and the ET48 2.0 doesn’t look like the 48.3 strengthening parts will fit? Fitting MT410 parts to an ET48.3 chassis has crossed my mind, but the extra parts needed, shock towers, wing mount etc made my head spin.

I’m going to keep the Kronos and wait for the upgraded parts, it is fantastic when it’s working.

But that is not the end of this?

Converting a Hobao Hyper ST Pro to electric, using the Radix as a doner is looking like a great project?

Resist, resist!

If the ET48.3 we’re still available, I’d have bought one.

Cheers

Steve

Racer being used as a basher, I have the 3.2T which will be raced and bashed. Parts are cheap....

• Like 1

That looks great!

These racing truggies look so light on their feet, compared to the ground crushing weight, comparatively, of our Kronos XTR.

The pillow balls of the RC8 worry me, after the pain they are on the XTR. That and the lack of upgrades to ensure the rear of the chassis doesn’t bend on bad landings? Tower to tower brace or carbon chassis stiffener as fitted to the Kronos as examples.

It might be tough as hell though, in standard form, it does look it. It’s also good value compared to the other racers. Again, it looks good in that video!

More to think about, thanks!