• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial RRX10 ' Ryft ' 1/10 rock racer

Fly In My Soup

Seeing as it’s lockdown and we can’t go out why not try an indoor version for giggles 😂 And comes in a kit to keep the builders happy 👍

https://www.banggood.com/Orlandoo-Hunter-OH32X01-1-or-32-4WD-DIY-Frame-RC-Kit-Rock-Crawler-Car-Off-Road-Vehicles-without-Electronic-Parts-p-1733127.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mydoddy69 said:

😂😂  You got to be a brave man to tackle it that’s for sure 👍

I'm 3/4 the way through building a 2nd Xo1.  Excellent little trucks. But  getting all the electronics in the cage is a pain in the bum. 

2 hours ago, NOFX said:

I'm 3/4 the way through building a 2nd Xo1.  Excellent little trucks. But  getting all the electronics in the cage is a pain in the bum. 

Got any pics of your builds fella I’m super tempted to buy one 😂

17 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Got any pics of your builds fella I’m super tempted to buy one 😂

I can't post pics for some reason. I've tried several hosting sites & still can't 🙄

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2021 at 16:25, SWF said:

I spent a few hours bodging on a Bomber soft sway bar, as the Axial one won’t be available for a while it seems. The torque twist seen on videos, and the change made by either dual shocks or sway bar made it look worthwhile?

I has a really fun session with m Ryft today in a steep hilled wood.  Loving it so far.

What did it take to mod the bomber sway bar on and how is it working for you?

I would say it makes quite a difference.

I mainly used the parts supplied in the Bomber Soft Sway Bar kit, plus 2 x 22mm pieces of nitro fuel tube as spacers.

I also needed a couple of spacers, I just sourced them from my parts bin, for where the push rods mount at the axle end, as the ball ends fitted from the factory are too big to fit in the kit ball ends. 

The push rods are made from stainless M3 bolts, cut down to 30mm, with ball ends from the kit threaded onto them. Sideways offset (inwards) at the bottom and backwards offset(towards front) at the top.

The sway bar assembly was then mounted to the axle and marked where it hits the underside of the “fuel cell”, on full suspension compression. Caution, if you get the rod ends in the wrong order, the bar contacts the “fuel cell” before the suspension is fully compressed, so would most likely cause something to break! That is what took me longest to work around.

If you then drill 3mm holes, to thread the sway bar through, a little upwards and to the rear of the marks, the axle has full movement and the sway bar works without reaching any mechanical limits.

I removed the “Fuel Cell” stickers so they can be fitted at a later date,  should the bar be removed, the 3mm holes being the only evidence it was ever fitted.

I also used a couple of the parts supplied with the kit within the “fuel cell”, screwed to the base, in order to better support the bar. That was quite involved though and hard to describe! I doubt there is much real world need for this, just me being anal.

Any who, it works very well, if I do say so myself.  Well worthwhile, the torque twist is far better controlled, which improves the ability to steer under power greatly.

Disclaimer, it is a version (improved imho), from a modification by one of the YouTube beta testers.

If I had access to the correct parts from other models, you need to see what would work, I would make something better supported by the frame.

When or if the “real” sway bar is available, I will get one and fit that. This modification, very worthwhile as it is, needs better support at the 90degree bends of the torsion bars, if I am being totally honest.

Fell free to PM me if you want photos or a better description of what I did.

Great fun beast of a vehicle, can’t wait to get a 4s for mine, so enjoy!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SWF
Grammar

14 hours ago, SWF said:

I would say it makes quite a difference.

Thanks very much for that sounds like a good solution.  I may hold out a couple of weeks to see if one of the aftermarket people comes up with something.  

I had a brilliant session with it yesterday. Put a couple of big 3 cell packs through it.  It is phenomenal what is gets over.  Tackling stuff my sc10ii struggles with and bouncing over.  I liked trying to get up very steep clay / red mud hills and haveing it sit spinning at about a quarter throttle and then giving it some the second you see a bit of traction.

Easy to overdo it too, I popped out of some hills way higher than intended.

• 3 weeks later...

How many times do we see a new rig, launched amongst much fanfare, then left almost unsupported from a parts perspective, so early adopters who break something have to shelf the thing almost immediately whilst waiting on parts.  Not just the Ryft, which is rather good by all accounts, but almost everything that hits the shelves these days, with HH seemingly the worst offenders.