• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What are the Top Performing RC Rally Cars

stimpy

I shall watch that vid later when I get a mo. Thanks @Bajadre

I nearly bought a WR8 off here a few months back but then had some other issues at the time so held back... It is definitely an itch that needs scratching some time!!

Also nearly bought a Maverick earlier in the year @Jack Reacher but missed it by moments.... 

I am happy to pay for the right performance, just want to find the best performer first 👍

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stimpy said:

I shall watch that vid later when I get a mo. Thanks @Bajadre

I nearly bought a WR8 off here a few months back but then had some other issues at the time so held back... It is definitely an itch that needs scratching some time!!

Also nearly bought a Maverick earlier in the year @Jack Reacher but missed it by moments.... 

I am happy to pay for the right performance, just want to find the best performer first 👍

Rally cars seem a bit of the radar, it does look like the WR8 is still the best but north of £350, @tomr rallies a Maverick Strada brushless and it does look to drive really well, i went with the TT02 Subaru WRX and yes it has looks to die for, so scale but so far i am not feeling it for the performance, if i end up moving the scooby on i will more than likely get a brushed Strada with a view to going brushless if needed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Rally cars seem a bit of the radar, it does look like the WR8 is still the best but north of £350, @tomr rallies a Maverick Strada brushless and it does look to drive really well, i went with the TT02 Subaru WRX and yes it has looks to die for, so scale but so far i am not feeling it for the performance, if i end up moving the scooby on i will more than likely get a brushed Strada with a view to going brushless if needed

Yes, the Tamiya offerings really do appeal aesthetically but I was aware they will not be for me due to performance and robustness traits when driven hard... A shame, as they look lovely...

That Maverick does still appeal a bit as I have also seen some excellent handling from them and they are price pointed very well. I just wonder how robust they really are....

4 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Yes, the Tamiya offerings really do appeal aesthetically but I was aware they will not be for me due to performance and robustness traits when driven hard... A shame, as they look lovely...

That Maverick does still appeal a bit as I have also seen some excellent handling from them and they are price pointed very well. I just wonder how robust they really are....

I think the way to look at the maverick`s, same as FTX you may well break it but parts are cheap and available

2 hours ago, stimpy said:

i know your after best of the best stimpy i still dont think you can beat the old tamiya TT series personally change to rally block tyres and change the shocks for decent ones and they are great on and off road etc regret selling mine ages ago :( got my eye on that mk2 now though :)

on the wr8 my friend bought every possible hopup when they release think he spent around £200 lol he never fitted any of it as it was great out the box tbf he also added a sound box this is his 

• Like 2

Im just back from a park run with the TT02 scooby, speaking my mind i dont feel its all that good of road, seems to get stuck on every stone and root, car ended up full of mud and leaf litterbut it does just look good, very good, still undecided on this car, i dont think the block tyres are all that grippy, not making any rush decision on it

scooby.JPG

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2020 at 10:31, stimpy said:

Hmmm, WR8 still looking the best option.. But it was more Geo change for me @Bajadre to calm some of the drifting down!.. It is fun mind....

you decided on one yet?

How about one of these?

spacer.png

I’m not sure when they are actually going to be available in the UK but I am tempted. Especially if I can find the wheels they used for this picture. 

spacer.png

Edit: Forgot to say it is a PTG-2 from LC Racing. 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 3

Hello folks, apologies I didn't notice the replies...

I've still not scratched the itch... my last thought was a 1/8 buggy then re body it and tune the suspension.

@BigGinge , I have looked at these; certainly the shocks and general kit look too be of good quality but I would be concerned about parts availability. I also "think" I may need something with a wee bit more travel and I think for me 1/8 scale would be more suitable.

@froggy8, yeah I've watched this - bloody brilliant!!  

For now It'll have to wait I guess till I'm done with a few other projects ... Perhaps we should resurrect this thread yearly!! 😂

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw the LC Racing have a set of inner fenders and mud flaps for the PTG-2.  I rather like the look of these, if you could buy the chassis as a kit I think I’d be tempted enough to push the button one of these now even though I’m not sure I have anywhere good to drive it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

The tamiy cars always seem to have a very stiff suspension even with upgraded shocks.  think it is down to weight

as for the traxxas rally it is very nice

then you have the HPI  most would go with it just because of the shell.  I think it is a more realistic handling  

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for out of the box performance, I'm not qualified to comment on it (I've no idea) but if you want the best performance possible in all areas, you'll need to build something.

A lot of people will start with something like an Xray T4 touring car chassis because it has excellent adjustability in every way, is super robust but very light weight. This takes a fair bit of chassis modification, covering up the internals and belts to stop them eating themselves alive.

What's been doing incredibly well in Czech rally championships is the use of 4wd 1/10 buggy chassis shortened and modified for it. It's all the handling characteristics you want but in a constantly updated, race-spec package.

Take a look at TUX racing and their kit for the Xray XB4. If you want the best performance, an xb4 chassis and that kit is the best you're going to get.