• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Coronavirus

Nick

Bring back the tracking paper we had for toilet roll back in the day people would soon stop panic buying then.

Last week i popped into the supermarket to pick up some milk for work like i always do and the car park was packed as if it was a Saturday afternoon. There was literally nothing on the shelves. Every day i go to the shops to try and get the bare essentials and I'm met with mass hysteria with people filling trolley loads. If everyone shopped normally there would be enough for everyone. 

I rent and been told that no evictions will take place within the next 3 months if it's not paid but if it's not then when everything hopefully returns to normal i would have to do some sort of repayment plan so would be worse off really.

Oh and don't even get me started on the individuals and shops charging £2 a roll for toilet paper and £20 for hand sanitizer!

Edited by stretch

11 hours ago, spannermonkey said:

Had a quick chat with some gentlemen wearing green today as they set up portacabins on our industrial estate. Yes you guessed army check points. Our estate houses our million square foot food warehouse and several smaller pharmaceutical warehouses. As we left tonight we had armed guards in both check points and a massive police presence. Never been scared to go to work before but must say I'm uneasy leaving home in the small hours tomorrow. Haven't told the wife as she is worried enough as it is. 

Someone I know is a army reserve and has just been called in for an unspecified reason. So that might tie in with this.

It could be that they are just helping with distribution efforts, I imagine the armed forces could support the network quite well with the amount of personnel and vehicles they can offer?

They are also passing a bill in parliament today so they can enforce a lock down and prosecute those who disobey. So it could also be that...

I've got white too, several rolls in the loft :lol: 

Can confirm, more patrols will be coming out, from a reliable source.

Someone also said something to me today which stuck, it's that all the local shops to people, who are their only option, for some, who don't drive, or are elderly, who have now put prices up to ridiculous amounts, I really thoroughly hope everyone boycotts them when all this nonsense is over with.

A bit of karma for the greed.

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 2

Can't say I'm surprised. After the weekends farce with people treating it like a bank holiday weekend those of us with half a brain new it would be soon. 7 to 14 days times cases will rise sharply no doubt. Business as usual for me, just had all leave cancelled and emergency rota issued to help us socially distance, basically fewer staff and short shifts. Let's hope it buys the health service the time it needs. Probably won't get on for a while so hope everyone stays safe and well. 

For us it's the opposite, more hands on deck (all together) and more people coming into our facility.

Also, a solid two months of longer days.

I don't know what to do, I'm zero hour so don't have to go in, but also a key worker and don't want to let the team down.

On the other hand, my health and life is more important than my job.

13 hours ago, Nick said:

Someone I know is a army reserve and has just been called in for an unspecified reason. So that might tie in with this.

It could be that they are just helping with distribution efforts, I imagine the armed forces could support the network quite well with the amount of personnel and vehicles they can offer?

They are also passing a bill in parliament today so they can enforce a lock down and prosecute those who disobey. So it could also be that...

It was pre lock down as we now know. Good bunch of guys on there today. Explained the reasons for them being posted.  Major supply hubs are being protected as terrorism is still a major threat according to the Commanding officer. Not sure and can honestly say I don't care at the moment. Head down and get on with it for the time being. 

4 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

For us it's the opposite, more hands on deck (all together) and more people coming into our facility.

Also, a solid two months of longer days.

I don't know what to do, I'm zero hour so don't have to go in, but also a key worker and don't want to let the team down.

On the other hand, my health and life is more important than my job.

Only you can make that choice. If you are fit, healthy and under 60 years of age the risks are said to be minimal. I'm not a Dr so don't know, what I do know is for the next 4 weeks I will be working 7 days a week 8 hours a day to keep the supply chain wheels rolling. 

1 minute ago, spannermonkey said:

Only you can make that choice. If you are fit, healthy and under 60 years of age the risks are said to be minimal. I'm not a Dr so don't know, what I do know is for the next 4 weeks I will be working 7 days a week 8 hours a day to keep the supply chain wheels rolling. 

My days at the moment are 12-13 hours... With this new bunch of troops coming in and the new hours system for them to remain completely quarantineed, the days are likely to get even longer.

I am young, of what I believe is reasonably good health, but still, it's a risk... My parents are only a few years away from 60 (Dad 54, Mum 56)

It is a weird old time. I work from home most of the time. Early last week I cancelled all my visits to clients. Heads down on project work during the lockdown with no need to leave house.  Maybe a few afternoons on some new truck builds too. 

Be safe everyone. 

31 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

My days at the moment are 12-13 hours... With this new bunch of troops coming in and the new hours system for them to remain completely quarantineed, the days are likely to get even longer.

I am young, of what I believe is reasonably good health, but still, it's a risk... My parents are only a few years away from 60 (Dad 54, Mum 56)

My usual days are 12 to 14 hours. Because we are a small team they have decided to split us into shifts of 2, no over laps, no physical hand overs and time for a cleaning crew to go through the practical areas between shifts. My parents are slightly older with my dad being just over 70. I made the tough choice not to visit them as soon as this started to escalate. I shop for them and take them meals but it's left inside their gate and I phone as I leave. Difficult times but common sense will help us through. 

37 minutes ago, Andy20xe said:

I deliver car parts and I'm apparently a key worker! At least the roads should be quiet now! 

You sure are a key worker, paramedic cars etc will be hammered hard these next few weeks. You guys with the parts will play a key role in the whole process. 

20 hours ago, spannermonkey said:

My usual days are 12 to 14 hours. Because we are a small team they have decided to split us into shifts of 2, no over laps, no physical hand overs and time for a cleaning crew to go through the practical areas between shifts. My parents are slightly older with my dad being just over 70. I made the tough choice not to visit them as soon as this started to escalate. I shop for them and take them meals but it's left inside their gate and I phone as I leave. Difficult times but common sense will help us through. 

I live with my parents currently, so have no option but to see them.

We found out that the chap who came in whos mother had tests came back all negative.

But today, another bloke came in, who doesn't even really work at our facility (his facility is closed) and he is supposed to be in isolation because his mother in law has got the virus and they've been in contact!!

He could have easily passed it onto all of us.

Small claims court if thats the case, because it's risking peoples lives for the sake of getting a few hours work.

He's not going to until forced. France, Spain and Italy by comparison have said no one will lose their home and all wages will be covered, yet Boris, when you read the fine print just made the minimum time for eviction by one month and payment holidays for mortgages are no different than before. His wage coverage also doesn't cover self employed. You just get universal credit. 

Boris had a chance to prove his detractors wrong but he's just proven them right. 

• Like 1