• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Am I the only one that hates wheel & trigger Tx’s

300bhp/ton

Sticks vs Wheels  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which TX do you prefer?

• Stick
    • Trigger/Wheel

I think you're in the minority these days. Some racers still prefer sticks, but even they're getting thin on the ground. 

Can't stand sticks, trigger is far more intuitive, particularly turn a steering wheel to steer. 

just bought trx4 which comes with wheel controller. can't get on with it having used sticks for years. unable to find replacement, just get told it's too much trouble trying to get one to work. previously bought unimog on cc01 chassis and had no trouble getting 2 channel stick transmitter. wish I had bought sport version with only 2 channels instead of 5. the idea was to have fun driving it. not happening!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You knew that beforehand. Nothing here is new information, this all was mentioned before you went out and bought the TRX4.

The RC world moved on from what was used 20 years ago. I understand that you can't make a pistol grip work for you, but you're a rare exception there. You absolutely can make a stick transmitter work if you put the effort in (which you don't seem to care for). I'm not sure what you're expecting here, it's actually quite unfair and rude to complain about "only being told that it's too much trouble". People were telling you that before you went out and bought the 5 channel truck. People were trying to help you, people did warn you that you'll not find a >5 channel stick transmitter that works for ground RC out of the box.  

Run it two channel then. Lock diffs, stick it in low gear, replace receiver with one of your two channel stick transmitters and drive it like the TRX4 Sport. 

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

You knew that beforehand. Nothing here is new information, this all was mentioned before you went out and bought the TRX4.

The RC world moved on from what was used 20 years ago. I understand that you can't make a pistol grip work for you, but you're a rare exception there. You absolutely can make a stick transmitter work if you put the effort in (which you don't seem to care for). I'm not sure what you're expecting here, it's actually quite unfair and rude to complain about "only being told that it's too much trouble". People were telling you that before you went out and bought the 5 channel truck. People were trying to help you, people did warn you that you'll not find a >5 channel stick transmitter that works for ground RC out of the box.  

Run it two channel then. Lock diffs, stick it in low gear, replace receiver with one of your two channel stick transmitters and drive it like the TRX4 Sport. 

Jeez dude.... You're very triggered lately.... Everything OK? 

Maybe you should try herbal tea.... 🍵😁

1 hour ago, The Italian job said:

just bought trx4 which comes with wheel controller. can't get on with it having used sticks for years. unable to find replacement, just get told it's too much trouble trying to get one to work. previously bought unimog on cc01 chassis and had no trouble getting 2 channel stick transmitter. wish I had bought sport version with only 2 channels instead of 5. the idea was to have fun driving it. not happening!!!

There's a very simple way dude... Go grab a flysky fsi6... I used one with most crawlers at some point.... Work well... 6 Channel Mixing etc etc

With 2.4ghz, Are we not passed the land, air problems of 27mhz and 25mhz days.

Can you not pick up a nice system designed for air use, Or is that still not allowed, Have thought about it myself as you can get some nice ones for not much money.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tug said:

Can't stand sticks, trigger is far more intuitive, particularly turn a steering wheel to steer. 

lol, but it isn't a "proper" wheel, just a semi rotary dial with limited travel. And worse, it moves in the same plane as accelerate/brake does.... which is very counter intuitive ;)

what's your problem. I tried to get used to it but can't. stop getting so worked up. you've obviously got a sad life that you have to come on here and call people "rude". I don't need people like you about so am now going to delete my account so I don't have to read such benign drivel.

I'm not even close to worked up, i just don't sugarcoat my opinion in fake politeness. I didn't say anything rude, i told you that people did warn you, you knew all the facts beforehand, and now you're complaining about people not fixing your problem or telling you "that you need to put effort in to fix this". 

It's cute that you think me calling you rude is rude, but you trying to actually insult me isn't, my guy. Good luck fixing your mess. 

But because i'm nice: the forum has an ignore function, you don't need to delete your account. 

Edited by m4inbrain

1 hour ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Jeez dude.... You're very triggered lately.... Everything OK? 

How is it triggered if i recall very much trying to help the guy, literally telling him that he can't make the TRX4 work with a stick transmitter without modifying it (return spring etc), and he comes back now complaining that he can't find a stick transmitter that works for the TRX4 and people only told him this:

unable to find replacement, just get told it's too much trouble trying to get one to work

Which btw is untrue, since what actually was said in his original thread is this: 

To my knowledge, there is no "car" stick transmitter, so whatever you get, you have to modify it anyway since, as mentioned, both sticks move in all directions ("360 degrees") - and one of the sticks (depending on if it's either mode 1 or mode 2, determining which stick is the throttle) doesn't have a return spring for up/down, so if you put it to 60%, the stick will stay there. 

At the very least, i'd argue, you need a return spring for the second stick. 

To which his answer was "sounds a bit complicated to me!!!". 

We have a few TRX 4s and more than happy with wheel & trigger especially when trailing using cruise control, yeah ok the Sport don't have that feature but still ok to me, suppose it's what you expect from your driving skills.

Years back I used to use a macgregor digimac ll  (2channel ) radio system then moved over to Acoms for driving. Nowadays I only use a  stick transmitter for flying and only wheel and trigger for driving. Wouldn't have it any other way now.

• Like 1

I used to play a tonne of racing games to the point where I was almost on a competitive level and I feel that that could translate into being a good driver on sticks as I always used the analogue sticks on the gamepad for driving and steering. Are there really no good stick txs for cars? I'd only really need a 3ch one

Edited by fnknan

21 minutes ago, fnknan said:

Are there really no good stick txs for cars? I'd only really need a 3ch one

Can't see why you couldn't use an aircraft transmitter. Can have as many channels as you want. I have seen the Futaba T10j transmitter used on rc trucks  so why cant a  3 or 4ch be used?

23 minutes ago, Mack1 said:

Can't see why you couldn't use an aircraft transmitter. Can have as many channels as you want. I have seen the Futaba T10j transmitter used on rc trucks  so why cant a  3 or 4ch be used?

Well I'd want one that's locked into vertical for throttle and horizontal for steering. I get that you can get kits to convert aircraft radios but are there any that come like that out the box? If not are there any really cheap radios with conversion kits available?

Lets take a tone down people, no need to get frustrated over this. :)

I've added a poll to the topic, lets see what people think. I always used sticks but then when I went to trigger, I never looked back.  :good: I would love a reason to go stick again though, if anyone fancies buying me a Tamiya  Tiger tank for Christmas. :lol:

48 minutes ago, fnknan said:

Well I'd want one that's locked into vertical for throttle and horizontal for steering. I get that you can get kits to convert aircraft radios but are there any that come like that out the box? If not are there any really cheap radios with conversion kits available?

This one sounds promising . Says its suitable for cars and the sticks look centred on the photos. 

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/radio-link-digital-2-4ghz-t8fb-8-channel-radio-system-with-s-bus-mode-2/

48 minutes ago, Nick said:

Lets take a tone down people, no need to get frustrated over this. :)

I've added a poll to the topic, lets see what people think. I always used sticks but then when I went to trigger, I never looked back.  :good: I would love a reason to go stick again though, if anyone fancies buying me a Tamiya  Tiger tank for Christmas. :lol:

I'll put a vote in once I've tried both ahaha

42 minutes ago, Mack1 said:

This one sounds promising . Says its suitable for cars and the sticks look centred on the photos. 

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/radio-link-digital-2-4ghz-t8fb-8-channel-radio-system-with-s-bus-mode-2/

Interesting. Wonder what the Rx supply is like. I have a Core RC branded Tx, but the Receivers kept getting more and more expensive and then impossible to buy. Which was an utter PITA when you want to use it with more models. It got so bad I ended up buying a a different radio in the end.

I race both on road and off road 1/10 & 1/12th scale.  I'd say 80% of the people I race with use stick tx's.  The average age of people I race with I would estimate at 45, most got into RC as kids, left for whatever reason and then came back when they had more time/money etc.  Hence the use of sticks still, it's what they knew.

The most common used stick tx in my circle is the Futaba 4GRS.

I only got into racing about 14 months ago, so went ahead with  a wheel.  It works fine for me.  I use a Futaba T4PV.

Edited by mark-essex
  • Thanks 1