• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kevin Talbot

tamiyafanboy

I still prefer Kev to those American youtubers (Mr. Diesel & Mr. Heavy Diesel Sparks etc), although I still occasionally watch these to see the massive machines that they play with.

Kev actually cares about  when he messes up and wastes loads of money damaging his monster truck.

RC cars are much cheaper and he can re-coup the losses from the ad-revenue.

I think that he stands a good chance of remaining humble, as his beginnings were somewhat humble.

On 24/10/2023 at 18:07, Kpowell911 said:

Whats his actual shop out of curiosity 

He says that it's now a secret as people copy his listings.

On 24/10/2023 at 19:41, wolfie1 said:

His videos show “kevs rc spares” on his trucks but i have tried searching for his shop and i cannot find it, its maybe just me though

I think that this must have been his shop quite a few years ago.   But now if he still sells on ebay,  then he will do so via a separate business identity than his YouTube 'persona'. 

On 23/10/2023 at 10:43, abyd said:

Like Whistl'in Diesel & Heavy D 'Sparks et'-al 

If you feast on haters tear's, then be careful!

As the old adage goes:

"You are what you eat" ! 😁

That would explain why I'm a bit of a C***! 🤣🤣😝

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tomley RC said:

You are all making me blush... haha.  🤗

Appreciate the support.  

As much as I can come across as a bit of D**k Head sometimes (my wife reminds me weekly   daily) I really am just a normal guy enjoying this hobby. I'm really lucky to get to do it as a job now. I think it's hard for a lot of people to see past the stereotypical 'YouTuber' thing, we all just get chucked in the same pot. I've worked full time since leaving school at 16... 24yrs of that in the RAF.  I've got 3 kids... live in a rented house and shop in Aldi & Asda. No shame at all... 

As for Kev, he's also worked hard from what I've seen, but he's on a very different path to me (a very different path) and he's doing really well for himself and I hope he reaches his goals. I may be wrong...but I'm sure he doesn't do eBay anymore, his YouTube revenue will be his biggest income. 

Anyway.. thanks again. 🫡

Tomley - your videos are great and I like your collaborated efforts as well. 

Your balanced and pragmatic reviews are most welcome. I think it's pretty commendable how you've grown your channel and got past certain....'challenges'. 

KT and yourself have shown how home grown content providers can readily produce RC car based entertainment - and arguably the most viewed in the world. 🇬🇧

It's awesome that you've found the formula that empowers you to make your hobby work for you. Well done! Kudos.

On 24/10/2023 at 19:41, wolfie1 said:

His videos show “kevs rc spares” on his trucks but i have tried searching for his shop and i cannot find it, its maybe just me though

There used to be a shop called 'Kev's Racing Bits' and I often wondered if it was the same Kev....

4 hours ago, Steve-O2021 said:

With all his youtubing, monster truck building, flying lessons, rc builds, moving to Isle of Man etc I really don't think he would have time to run a Ebay store anymore 🙂

But if you sign up, he'll show you how to give up your day job.....😝

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Kev seems to be going all in with his Jets/Planes. Makes perfect sense as even Ill admit the RC ‘car’ scene has been a bit stale lately so fair play to him. That big bi plane looks insane!

Yea saw that but I waiting for the old Mardave stuff to be done that he said he was doing 🙂

On 26/10/2023 at 18:31, Tomley RC said:

Appreciate the support.  

As much as I can come across as a bit of D**k Head sometimes (my wife reminds me weekly   daily) I really am just a normal guy enjoying this hobby. I'm really lucky to get to do it as a job now. I think it's hard for a lot of people to see past the stereotypical 'YouTuber' thing, we all just get chucked in the same pot. I've worked full time since leaving school at 16... 24yrs of that in the RAF.  I've got 3 kids... live in a rented house and shop in Aldi & Asda. No shame at all... 

As for Kev, he's also worked hard from what I've seen, but he's on a very different path to me (a very different path) and he's doing really well for himself and I hope he reaches his goals. I may be wrong...but I'm sure he doesn't do eBay anymore, his YouTube revenue will be his biggest income. 

Anyway.. thanks again. 🫡

I like your Hilux, it's like a Mini version of Kevs Monster truck how it's parked in the shop like that.  Always wanted a old Hilux 

I assumed Mr Talbot sold high volume tat. I'd have guessed at anything that seems to sell not restricted to any niche or personal knowledge.  He definitely doesn't say in his content,  'I've fitted X upgrade stocked on my shop/ my shop has plenty of stock of../I only sell the stuff I run and trust'  so I think he has never sold rc stuff,  the stuff he has some expertise on.   I've got the impression he made his million doing well at selling absolutely anything that sells,  high volume,  cheap, anything from fidget spinners to haloween decorations to onesie to loom bands etc.  Sold on ebay,  amazon, etsy etc.  Amazon do a thing where they take care of all the logistics,  you just front up the cash,  choose the products,  design a listing. I wouldn't be surprised if talbot does this kind of thing so he doesn't even need a warehouse and do any distribution himself. 

On 26/10/2023 at 18:31, Tomley RC said:

Appreciate the support.  

Anyway.. thanks again. 🫡

That's interesting Tomley,  I thought YouTube paid very little,  but then Kevin is putting out lots of content and getting a lot of views.  If this link is accurate he's worth 5 million and YouTube Income would be around  £10k a day!

https://naibuzz.com/how-much-money-kevin-talbot-makes-on-youtube-net-worth/

It won't be aldi and Asda for ever, with a little luck!

• Like 1

Yeah you can make crazy money if your YouTube channel starts doing well.

I used to watch Keven Talbot or my 5 year old son used to more like, but I have unsubscribed now. I was always 50/50 whether I liked him or couldn't stand him, but I feel the more money he is starting to make the more I don't like the behaviours, hes gone from normal guy to bordering greedy capitalist with his expensive toys, now he wants to move to Isle of Man for tax reasons. I believe the 5 million thing above it sounds about right and to be fair whilst he doesn't give exact figures he alludes to it as such in many of his videos.

I think with the cost of living etc and people struggling, whilst he is wrecking stuff on video some kids might only dream to be able to afford.

If I saw him now doing more stuff for charity etc I would maybe change my mind.

• Like 1

The only way to really know how much Kev makes is if he transfers it all to my bank for verification.

I am happy of the contrast Tomley and Kev have, I watch them for different reasons. I would like to see both spend more time in new places though, particularly with Kev it gets monotonous taking XYZ car to the same skate park. There's some amazing locations out there to go crawl/bash an RC. It was refreshing when Tomley went to the beach, even if it was to pick up rubbish. :lol: 

Tomley has made really good use of the space in his unit with the floor space and tracks, certainly makes more use of it than Kev and will be super useful in the wet and dark winter upon us. Please don't rack it out as storage!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tomley RC said:

10k a day is way off....

It says he gets 1.5m views a day, which could be anywhere from £1500 to £6000... in our niche, Ad revenue varies that much. However, according to social blade (pretty accurate), Kev's getting about 500k views a day, and I'd say a fair few of them views are from 'shorts', which pay pretty much nothing (1 million shorts views would be like £20 ish). Either way, he's doing well, and good luck to him. 

I don't think it would matter how much money I had, my Wife would still shop in Asda/Aldi..... and she'd also still ban me from turning the heating up and using the tumble dryer lol. We both work hard, we have a roof over our head and food in the cupboards, anything else is a bonus. 

Kev seems to have fingers in different pies and he stated that he made his living from eBay sales.  He clearly had welding/fabrication skills and his own workshop.  I'm taking from some of his previous videos that his YouTube channel was a supplementary income, which only recently became his main living.

Hats off to anyone getting views on YouTube. I've posted videos - they have 100's of views....🤣 To make it viable like you and KT have done, you need 100's of thousands of views. Video editing is time consuming. Getting licence free music that isn't rubbish incurs costs.

Producing videos every couple of days and keeping people hooked is a talent. 

The rivalry story between you and KT was interesting and I found the race challenges interesting videos to watch. Turns out Kev has good thumbs! Flying Heli and fixed wing, it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

I like your reviews though and subscribed a long time ago. One of the first videos I watched had GPS and compass insert on the video as I recall.

As for wealth and shopping - I've experienced both financial hardship and bouyancy. I think once you've learnt to be thrifty, it stays with you regardless of how wealthy you get.

Nothing wrong with Aldis/Lidl. We occasionally shop at M&S if we're feeling decadent. No Waitrose where we live, being out in the sticks. Good farm shops though! 😁😎

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Nick said:

The only way to really know how much Kev makes is if he transfers it all to my bank for verification.

I am happy of the contrast Tomley and Kev have, I watch them for different reasons. I would like to see both spend more time in new places though, particularly with Kev it gets monotonous taking XYZ car to the same skate park. There's some amazing locations out there to go crawl/bash an RC. It was refreshing when Tomley went to the beach, even if it was to pick up rubbish. :lol: 

Tomley has made really good use of the space in his unit with the floor space and tracks, certainly makes more use of it than Kev and will be super useful in the wet and dark winter upon us. Please don't rack it out as storage!

Something I'm always conscious of is location...   nothing worse than watching the same place over and over again, even if it's a different product you're watching. I try to mix it up, although all the good places are a bit of a trek, so not always easy to do.  

I also try to do different things every video, and avoid back to back of the same type of product. This screen shot of my last 12 videos hopefully explains that, as a lot of people still complain I don't do enough of product A...B..C etc.  Lots more to it than just turning a camera on and recording, but that's part of the fun 🙂 

image.thumb.png.6bac9e051e7d86b507dd8f8285657b5b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any exposure that results on people coming to the hobby is good IMO, although I don't really like many YouTube RC videos for multiple reasons (I find them rather boring) they are fantastic for getting content out to a wider audience that would never have even considered RC before watching the videos. If a result of YouTube success is a good salary and the opportunity to explore other things later on then crack on. 

One video I really did like was Kevin's Rossa video, it was very in depth and something that I really liked was that he gave a lot of smaller channels a shout out. 

Edited by Alex97
  • Like 3

I know what you mean.  I enjoy more of Kevin's content than don't,  but do feel he goes just a bit too far and that's when it gets annoying.   I guess I like seeing the extreme bashing and banter with his mates,  and it's interesting to see what the cars can take.  However I don't like it when,  as usually happens,  the car starts to have problems and instead of stopping there he goes on to destroy the car..... although it does then give a very thorough test,  find all the weak points and he is honest with all that.   

I like Tomley's content for the same reasons others do,  honest reviews that are not taken too far,  varied rc car content,  varied locations.   I'd like to see a bit more of the fun competition stuff,  crawler and racing.  Maybe a bit more of the 'build the best xxx' for a budget whether X is a race buggy, a speed record,  a crawler, or how about the best 1/X scale basher for £xx..... although judging that would be impossible it would be fun to see your take,  kevs, and the others (I get the impression not all kevs buddies are quite such traxxas fans.... maybe?).

Meanwhile,  if stuck for ideas,  what's the corally kagama like? 😉

Oh yes, how about bit more out door track or bmx track venue stuff?

• Like 1

It’s probably because its alligned with my current RC path, but Glenn @ Tamiya Legends/RC Legends is probably my favourite RC Youtuber at the moment, mainly because the content appeals to me. I still watch the videos, and i know this sounds snobby but I dont really like all the cheap Chinese crawlers that all seem the same, Cant remember the name, but I think it was the WPL tractor thing? It just looked so cheap to me, but hey, sure it gets the views so Im all for it.

• Like 2

On 01/11/2023 at 23:08, Tomley RC said:

10k a day is way off....

It says he gets 1.5m views a day, which could be anywhere from £1500 to £6000... in our niche, Ad revenue varies that much. However, according to social blade (pretty accurate), Kev's getting about 500k views a day, and I'd say a fair few of them views are from 'shorts', which pay pretty much nothing (1 million shorts views would be like £20 ish). Either way, he's doing well, and good luck to him. 

I don't think it would matter how much money I had, my Wife would still shop in Asda/Aldi..... and she'd also still ban me from turning the heating up and using the tumble dryer lol. We both work hard, we have a roof over our head and food in the cupboards, anything else is a bonus. 

Tomley,  Please stick to what you love and are good at:

Affordable RC's that the masses can afford to play with...... Not try to kill, break and fix.   

Although that's OK,  if you can afford to fix what you damage and just love the 'wrenching' !!!

The light that shines brightest burns out too soon. 

Unless you are Kev and diversify into an new light every time the old one looses commercial viability.   That itself will eventually burn out.

Kev  will be forced to change tactic's  more often than you (regarding YouTube). 

Because he has found a less stable but more profitable ,  yet shorter lived, niche.

But he obviously has the energy and freedom for that,      where as you are obviously a 'family man'    ,     more relatable to Joe Public.

eta:

I'm pleased that we in the UK are blessed to have BOTH Kev AND Tomley ,  catering for slightly different tastes.

Edited by abyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1