• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

28 minutes ago, mch87 said:

Can anyone suggest some nice beadlocks but in plastic? I don't want to add weight for the motor to have to spin...

Gmade make some nice plastic beadlocks, no idea if they clear the portals though 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone lifted their TRX4 without using the Traxxas kit?

It's a bit more than I want to spend and I want to add more travel rather than "lift" as such... I like what RC Review achieved with improving capability in this vid:

I would like to slowly buy some brass bits (but not anything adding rotating mass) to again make it more capable...

I've read that the shocks in the kit are the GTS shocks...

Info stolen from the web:

Standard shocks
Extended Length: 90mm
Compressed Length: 65mm
Travel: 25mm

GTS Shocks

Extended Length: 110mm
Compressed Length: 75mm
Travel: 35mm
Additional compressed length over stock: 10mm
Additional travel: 10mm or 40%

So with the correct weight oil and spring rebound I wondered if shocks alone would make a big difference without any link changes...

I also wondered if I could get standard links off the longer wheelbase TRX4 to run on my Bronco and if that would give a little extra... As from what I understand the "lift" kit is longer links, longer shocks and longer shift cables...

anyone got some input?

• Like 1

Any links to anything to cheaply lower the COG? Guessing brass stuff? id quite like to leave the wheels alone for now.

Ive not tried 3S yet, but was well impressed with power, cant believe Im saying this but Im thinking brushed is fine for this. 

Maybe a 1080 ESC, POSSIBLY a HH motor and a servo upgrade? What servos do you suggest. Not those Amazon ones

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Any links to anything to cheaply lower the COG? Guessing brass stuff? id quite like to leave the wheels alone for now.

Ive not tried 3S yet, but was well impressed with power, cant believe Im saying this but Im thinking brushed is fine for this. 

Maybe a 1080 ESC, POSSIBLY a HH motor and a servo upgrade? What servos do you suggest. Not those Amazon ones

I used a power HD servos in my sport and carisma coyote and never had any problems with them.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I want to run this on 3s, only because I have lots of 3S lipos….

At the moment, I have the stock ESC with TRX connector, and a 2s Lipo and Traxxas EZ Peak charger. I didnt buy the charger or lipo, just got it in a deal and it made sense to use it. Its taking a while to charge the 5800 lipo at 4ah…..

Everything else I run is XT90 and I have more powerful chargers. Just dont know what to do. Im on a tighter budget than usual too….

A) Get a Traxxas to XT90 adapter, run all my lipos and stock ESC (£3.50)

B) Get a Hobbywing 1080 with XT90 and motor bullets (£45) but I can sell stock ESC/EZ Peak Charger and Traxxas Lipo for circa £70 so?)

But this means all Id have is 3s lipos (no 2s), and Id still be brushed

C) wait and save and go Brushless?

Edited by Kpowell911

7 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Hi guys, I want to run this on 3s, only because I have lots of 3S lipos….

At the moment, I have the stock ESC with TRX connector, and a 2s Lipo and Traxxas EZ Peak charger. I didnt buy the charger or lipo, just got it in a deal and it made sense to use it. Its taking a while to charge the 5800 lipo at 4ah…..

Everything else I run is XT90 and I have more powerful chargers. Just dont know what to do. Im on a tighter budget than usual too….

A) Get a Traxxas to XT90 adapter, run all my lipos and stock ESC (£3.50)

B) Get a Hobbywing 1080 with XT90 and motor bullets (£45) but I can sell stock ESC/EZ Peak Charger and Traxxas Lipo for circa £70 so?)

But this means all Id have is 3s lipos (no 2s), and Id still be brushed

C) wait and save and go Brushless?

tight budget.....stay with stock esc for now, maybe get an adaptor so you can run a 3s, makes money sense

34 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

What brushless system then?

I'd recommend the axe systems, for the trx4 the 550l can 3300kv is spot on.
I did try a 1800kv axe 540 but it got hot fast as was too small for the big trx4.
People like the axe fusion systems, however i dont like the idea of a combined unit as when one thing fails its dead fred.
Or a Castle system with unsensored or sensored motor.

1 minute ago, Redback said:

I'd recommend the axe systems, for the trx4 the 550l can 3300kv is spot on.
I did try a 1800kv axe 540 but it got hot fast as was too small for the big trx4.
People like the axe fusion systems, however i dont like the idea of a combined unit as when one thing fails its dead fred.
Or a Castle system with unsensored or sensored motor.

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/hobbywing-xerun-axe550-3300kv-r2-foc-sensored-brushless-combo-94336?gclid=CjwKCAiAx8KQBhAGEiwAD3EiP7XV4vi_AaF6SHdvtvrD_sNibye-9oq_o6B8Mjd0R_S8i3wUwVEERhoCr08QAvD_BwE

that?

Here are our trx4's, had them about 18 months now (I think) and they've been thought a few changes.

Both climb and drag themselves over things quite well really.

Got a few ideas for changes to them, mainly the Merc,  just have to find the time to do it.

DSC_0731.JPG

DSC_0835.JPG

• Like 3