• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

put the new hobbywing 1060 esc in the lunchie and now running 2s on it with stock motor, deffo a fair bit more punch for the wheelies, now i need a watrerproof servo and something to cover the rx with then i can use it in snow and stuff  :D

did find the wires on the esc a bit short but managed to work it out, got the switch on the bottom of the chassis just under the esc and the battery connector lead just long enough so that i don't have to take the shell off and if i want to use any thing bigger than my 4000mah lipos i will have to dremmel a part of the battery tray.

got new back tyres on the back of the hopper as well now, went with the orginal sand paddle ones.

Fe2eRUg.jpg

edit: just ordered 2 more of they esc's one for me and one for dads pumpkin plus ordered him some lights for his hopper and a cheap water proof servo for my lunchie as winter is coming  :D

now do i run my grasshopper on 2s or actually put the esc in my drifter this time lol

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

Decided to get the Mongrel going again (started life as a brushed FTX Vantage). Replaced the brushed motor/esc with a brushless system...... fairly straightforward, no real issues.

It’s currently wearing a cheap truck bodyshell that’s been heavily cut back and fits really badly.

The bottom of the new motor got scratched on the first test run and I found myself thinking of a way to protect the motor and fill the gap between chassis and shell....

and ended up hacking a sandwich box to pieces. 

Attaching it using the four convenient bolt holes that FTX saw fit to put in the chassis for no apparent reason (thanks FTX 👍)...... voila!

6DA3ADF2-F852-46A8-A37C-7DDA9BEAFC05.thumb.jpeg.7a89f51831d5eadeaffc0b0058dd7863.jpeg

Although worth doing as an experiment, a prototype maybe, I could tell the sandwich box was far too brittle and would probably shatter after the first crash and said as much to the Mrs as I headed out for a test run.........

I just didn’t think that first crash would be so soon or so brutal!

(approx 5 mins...... full speed argument with immovable object!)

All things considered, I thought the sandwich box held up quite well 😂😂

Now does anybody know of a brand of sandwich box that’s a little more shock resistant?? 

Edited by Fat Freddy

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

what about a tupperware box ?

Good idea, Tupperware is a bit flexible isn’t it? Less likely to shatter perhaps??

I saw a brand called lock and lock that give a lifetime guarantee...... although I think cutting it up might possibly stretch the terms of the warranty agreement, but guessed they must be pretty resilient. 

Mrs thinks I’ve lost the plot, reading online reviews for sandwich boxes.............. she may have a point 🤪

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fat Freddy said:

Mrs thinks I’ve lost the plot, reading online reviews for sandwich boxes.............. she may have a point 🤪

Well we do play with toy cars 🤣

• Haha 1

Test fitted the new batteries in the speed car and they clear the shell by millimeters :) I gave the throttle a few blips to make sure everything was set up correctly and while the motor and esc seem up to the job, the motor connections got very hot VERY quickly. I'm hoping that swapping them for 5mm bullets will be enough to cool things down a bit.

IMG_20200819_134559_918

• Like 1

Rough day yesterday, crashed them both.

VTe took off at 67mph after a big gust of wind, luckly it flipped on to the roof and just slid down the road. No rolling or cart wheeling so just shell damage. I gorrila tape inside the tyres and it stopped them balloning alot, quite impressive for just 1 layer inside.

Poor WR8 went side ways at 61 mph and rolled, this one was a bit scary are it just missed my car and went in between 6 people. We told them to get away from the road but they wouldnt listen, people really dont understand how fast these things car go.

All that happened to the wr8 after 61 rolls was the steering link popped off, and the ESC needs new tape to stick it back down.

Edited by Logie
  • Like 3

Just now, Tug said:

Pulled the Senton from the loft ready for hols. Trouble is, I have literally no spares for this car, so if anything gives, that's it for the week! 😥

Also, I've found that my 8000, 3S packs just about fit! Left side of the car will be a bit weighty, but runtimes will be lonnnnngggg!

i was gonna put the new 1060 esc into the hopper but the lipos don,t quite fit in it so i put it in my drifter along with a motor and receiver, the drifter lives again  :D

also put a cheapo water proof servo in the lunchbox, only 4.5kg but decent enough for it  :)

I just about finished this thing (ET410.2). Great build.

Just a shame I ordered incompatible wheels for it and they don't fit over the top of the hubs (Schumacher Stadium Truck 12mm hex ones)

Specs:

Servo - Power HD S35 - incredible specs, and got a few for a good price recently. Massively overspecced for a 1/10, but at 6v and ~25kg of torque with 0.09 60degree speed... it actually fits the truck quite well.

Went cheap on the ESC with a a Toro 160A. I'm using the 150A Pro in my MT410, and that has served me well, I have all the program cards and such, and am now reasonably familiar with the config... so it wasnt a difficult choice, even if it's not a usual one for this car.

Motor - Also went a bit cheap with a Tenshock 4 pole sensored 4400KV designed for an SCT... in my run earlier on it did overheat though, even with the cooling fan. Its only got a 17T RW pinion on it, so I don't think it's overgeared, especially running these little road wheels. Either it's a crap motor for these purposes (liek I said, it is meant for 2WD SCTs), or maybe I have something else in the driveline causing drag. Could have just been me driving like I stole it. Gotta love sensored though, it makes such a difference in these finely tuned cars.

Few option parts on, including a aluminium servo horn, aluminium shock caps and carbon centre plate.

Gotta design some bumpers for it next!

20200820_194312.thumb.jpg.ccfdcf54f944567201ef88194f15895b.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

I just about finished this thing (ET410.2). Great build.

Just a shame I ordered incompatible wheels for it and they don't fit over the top of the hubs (Schumacher Stadium Truck 12mm hex ones)

Specs:

Servo - Power HD S35 - incredible specs, and got a few for a good price recently. Massively overspecced for a 1/10, but at 6v and ~25kg of torque with 0.09 60degree speed... it actually fits the truck quite well.

Went cheap on the ESC with a a Toro 160A. I'm using the 150A Pro in my MT410, and that has served me well, I have all the program cards and such, and am now reasonably familiar with the config... so it wasnt a difficult choice, even if it's not a usual one for this car.

Motor - Also went a bit cheap with a Tenshock 4 pole sensored 4400KV designed for an SCT... in my run earlier on it did overheat though, even with the cooling fan. Its only got a 17T RW pinion on it, so I don't think it's overgeared, especially running these little road wheels. Either it's a crap motor for these purposes (liek I said, it is meant for 2WD SCTs), or maybe I have something else in the driveline causing drag. Could have just been me driving like I stole it. Gotta love sensored though, it makes such a difference in these finely tuned cars.

Few option parts on, including a aluminium servo horn, aluminium shock caps and carbon centre plate.

Gotta design some bumpers for it next!

20200820_194312.thumb.jpg.ccfdcf54f944567201ef88194f15895b.jpg

Teknos are great, I had a SCT410.3 which was bullet proof.  I'd love another. 

Just now, Alex97 said:

Teknos are great, I had a SCT410.3 which was bullet proof.  I'd love another. 

I love my MT410, it's such a wonderful driving RC.

Everyone says that the REAL 1/10 series (SCT and MT are based on the 1/8 platform) are not really bashers, but I wanted to see for myself, and tbh I don't really see what people are on about. If someone made a 7075 chunky ass chassis for the 1/10 series, it would make an awesome basher. The arms are still super thick for the scale and weight, the drive line is super heavy duty... it's honestly great and looks like it will take a kicking.

If anyone was to ask me what to buy, however, I would still say look at the 1/8th scale based stuff primarily, but for something a little easier to get about and have a little drive with.... im excited.

Just waiting for replacement wheels and paint now!

40 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

I love my MT410, it's such a wonderful driving RC.

Everyone says that the REAL 1/10 series (SCT and MT are based on the 1/8 platform) are not really bashers, but I wanted to see for myself, and tbh I don't really see what people are on about. If someone made a 7075 chunky ass chassis for the 1/10 series, it would make an awesome basher. The arms are still super thick for the scale and weight, the drive line is super heavy duty... it's honestly great and looks like it will take a kicking.

If anyone was to ask me what to buy, however, I would still say look at the 1/8th scale based stuff primarily, but for something a little easier to get about and have a little drive with.... im excited.

Just waiting for replacement wheels and paint now!

I got mine from the states when Amain did really good deals and the GBP and USD was better, I paid about £200 for it. 

I ended up running it as a 1/8 buggy as the platform was 95% the same.