• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Clodbuster Project (lightly Modded)

imperialchao

This is what I really like about Tamiya, not just the amount of third parties that make parts for their kits, but for also how long those third parties continue to support Tamiya kits, and new ones that pop up to support and build parts for Tamiya kits.  Just look at how much after market parts are made by third parties for the Clod Buster alone, that kit/design is just about as old as me, and third parties are still producing new parts for it, carbon fiber and metal chassis/frames for example.  I really wish Tamiya did 1/8 scale.

On 02/06/2023 at 03:33, Grogg said:

This is what I really like about Tamiya, not just the amount of third parties that make parts for their kits, but for also how long those third parties continue to support Tamiya kits, and new ones that pop up to support and build parts for Tamiya kits.  Just look at how much after market parts are made by third parties for the Clod Buster alone, that kit/design is just about as old as me, and third parties are still producing new parts for it, carbon fiber and metal chassis/frames for example.  I really wish Tamiya did 1/8 scale.

Yes I share the same feeling as you. Its probably the only rc monster truck that has been supported continuously for almost 40 years! I was wondering if I should get some spares for the truck, but to be honest I think whenever I need them, I can source it somewhere:). I am wondering what Tamiya will make the new Clod like, if they eventually to make it happen. For solid axle monster trucks, there are famous LMT, Kyosho USA1 2021 version, etc.. They are very powerful and pretty much have all the good features of a monster truck. Can the new Clod find a place to fit in? For now I just bash my old fashioned Clod:)

I might have ruined this truck body😅

Other changes recently:

1. 21T brushed motor (0 timing)

2. Steel pinion gear

3. Replace Tamiya connector with XT60 and start to use 2S Lipo 

4. Rear tyres are glued as Lipo power makes the rim slip... I used silicone seal and its perfect.

5. Waiting for the gearbox guard to arrive

6. Removed the super clodbuster decal and ordered some from Amazon. TBH its worse than I thought🤪

spacer.png

large.Image_20230610230445.jpg.0c8c103d0

spacer.png

• Like 2

14 hours ago, imperialchao said:

I might have ruined this truck body😅

Other changes recently:

1. 21T brushed motor (0 timing)

2. Steel pinion gear

3. Replace Tamiya connector with XT60 and start to use 2S Lipo 

4. Rear tyres are glued as Lipo power makes the rim slip... I used silicone seal and its perfect.

5. Waiting for the gearbox guard to arrive

6. Removed the super clodbuster decal and ordered some from Amazon. TBH its worse than I thought🤪

spacer.png

large.Image_20230610230445.jpg.0c8c103d0

spacer.png

Are you running 1 motor or 2 ? as mine came with a copy of this https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-0880-dual-motor-brushed-esc-80a-waterproof-440053 and I’m looking to upgrade the stock motors it says on 2s motor limit is 12t but if using 2 motors double it so can run 2 24t motors I believe the stock ones are 27t ?

would that make much of a difference ? or would it be better to get the adjusted amount mounts to use different pinions gears?

5 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Are you running 1 motor or 2 ? as mine came with a copy of this https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-quicrun-0880-dual-motor-brushed-esc-80a-waterproof-440053 and I’m looking to upgrade the stock motors it says on 2s motor limit is 12t but if using 2 motors double it so can run 2 24t motors I believe the stock ones are 27t ?

would that make much of a difference ? or would it be better to get the adjusted amount mounts to use different pinions gears?

I am running 2 21T motors and stock pinion configuration (steel 32DP 13 teeth). The ESC in the kit now is a genuine HobbyWing 880 but pre-programmed (RTR). Indeed the ESC datasheet says motor limit is 24T if using dual motor (the stock silvercan is 27T). But I have read that people are using two 15T HPI firebolt without any problems. I have run my two 21T motors for two weeks and almost 10 full charges (2S Lipo) and everything seems fine. No cutoff, no overheating etc. I also checked the motor temperature regularly and they are mildly hot even doing wheelie or full throttle. What I feel now is this ESC leaves a lot of "reserved" capability. On the other hand, 880 can handle 80A constant current and 400A burst. This is from what I know pretty high for two brushed motor around 20T. To compare, Tamiya sport tuned (23T or 27T with advanced timing) draws around 13A during normal usage.

To go "over the limit" or not has to be decided by you as after all it is not within what the datasheet says. Here is the link of the 21T motor (£16) I got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09NTZPM2L?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. A lot of other brands use this motor with their own stickers/paints but with a higher price tag. It has an open endbell and ball bearing and comes with 0 timing. I am not sure whether its timing can be changed as the slot showing the timing mark has a plastic notch that prevents it from being rotated. Also I dont know whether the screw holding the end can be slided to rotate the endbell. I have seen some cheap motors that look like the endbell can be rotated but inside there are only two fixed screw hole...

• Like 1

Ah ok I’ll have a look at the motors you linked I was planning on having a play with mine today but got distracted by detailing the car for nearly 5 hours 🤣 

I’m not looking at silly speed so if you can run the 2 21t motors on 2s fine then that sounds like the way to go 👍possibly will get the adjustable motor mounts some time down the line as well 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...