• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New Tx time, recommendations please

walkbythesea

So the time is coming to get a fancier Tx than the mishmash of cheap stuff I've been using up until today.

My main motivator is having joined a club racing Tamiya M chassis cars indoors every week and feeling I need a broader range of finer tuning adjustments than is currently possible with my basic Tx's.

Also it feels like it would be nice to have one main Tx that I can programme to use with all my favourite cars, ideally with a lipo or other rechargeable battery rather than burn through the mountains of AA's I've been consuming.

My main cars currently have a mix of DumboRC X6, Etronix ET1060 and Associated XP130 systems - I can't find full specs for the Etronix, and none for the XP130

The DumboRC X6 says:

Modulation Mode: GFSK

Spread Spectrum: FHSS

The Etronix says:

Modulation Mode: GFSK

How many frequency systems are there and is it likely or unlikely that I'll find a Tx that can communicate with all or the bulk of my existing Rx's???

I do like the idea of a controller that can grow with me - programmable for my racing but also good for my crawling - able to select between different mixed rear steer modes at will (I believe FlySky GT5 can do this).

I feel pretty out of touch and I had been l
ooking at FlySky GT5, Absima CR3P AFHDS, and Sanwa MX-6 - but honestly I don't know if any or all of them will fit the brief as laid out above???

Welcome back, heading to SST this year?
Cant recommend the Radiolink RC6GS V2 enough, mad range that can be boosted, tons of tuning, good bang for your buck and 4s lipo capable. Had 2 more expensive absima crap out on me.
Havent tried the rest, my flysky gt3 trigger just died, so yeah, i guess it might be a matter of price or performance?

I'm very much getting to grips with the technology side of all this but recently bought a Flysky GT5 and am impressed by the feel of it and the levels of programmability for any vehicles you link to it seem to give a lot of options and very variable levels of control.

I don't have it linked to a crawler but it does suggest specific programming is the for them 

As a recommendation, since no one mentioned it..

While it's a little bit of an investment, have a look at the Noble NB4. I can guarantee that south of £500+, you'll not get a radio anywhere close to that. Running mine for a few years now, be it my X-Maxx, crawlers or anything really. 

It's fully programmable, it is switchable between leftie and rightie (if that's important), it has up to 8 channels (so no issues running even mad crawlers later down the line), it has an inbuilt 18650 and an additional battery bank as the "stand", charging the remote as well as your phone if required, etc. There's nothing you'll grow into that this radio can't do.

edit: should mention, south of £500 while being £179. 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

As a recommendation, since no one mentioned it..

While it's a little bit of an investment, have a look at the Noble NB4. I can guarantee that south of £500+, you'll not get a radio anywhere close to that. Running mine for a few years now, be it my X-Maxx, crawlers or anything really. 

It's fully programmable, it is switchable between leftie and rightie (if that's important), it has up to 8 channels (so no issues running even mad crawlers later down the line), it has an inbuilt 18650 and an additional battery bank as the "stand", charging the remote as well as your phone if required, etc. There's nothing you'll grow into that this radio can't do.

edit: should mention, south of £500 while being £179. 

Couldnt agree more. I adore mine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/03/2023 at 16:18, walkbythesea said:

Well as it happens I’ve ended up taking a punt on the Noble NB4, now I just have to suck up the month long delivery wait…

It’s arrived!  Now I just need to figure out how to use it 🤣😂🤣

• Haha 1