• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TrailFinder 2 tips for first timer

ad456m

I just bought my first scale truck and am looking for some tips on things to do to it before I run it. I’ve got the V8 Blazer version. 

It’s eaten all my budget for the foreseeable future but I’m ok with that so zero budget things would be the way I’m going for the moment. Low tech fabrication and 3d printing is in my realm if things are really needed to be added. 

Super chuffed with it but zero experience with the platform or crawling/scaling in general is my starting point. 

Any must do things?

• Like 1

Is this the one you have https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/345205/?gclid=CjwKCAiA_vKeBhAdEiwAFb_nrd4U4dvTSIvyxRdHMtSWQerBwgkciy-QiXjs17A0T3edVd6dTkTSEhoCQ48QAvD_BwE

If so i see why it blew the budget, but very smart looking, not a lot to do other than run it and enjoy it, maybe add a driver figure to the cab, if it dont have lights then make a cheap LED light kit using a pair of warm white front led and a pair of red for back, if this is the model you got please post some pics, looks a stunning truck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for putting the pics up, its a lovely looking rig, do the mirrors swivel/fold in a roll? would be annoying if one broke of in a tumble.

Keep the stock wheels on as they more scale to a lovely truck, sadly one of these would be real nice but out of my spend limit by a fair bit

• Like 1

Yer welcome, yeah the mirrors hinge thankfully indeed. 

It’s more than a touch out of my typical budget too but I made a deal with the devil/mrs to get it as I’ve been ogling one for many years now. The most expensive thing I had before this was my Kyosho USA-1 that I bought for my 40th last year. It was a very big moment when I pulled the trigger. 
Wheels will definitely be staying for a good while as there is no budget left and they do look great. 

• Like 3

Great looking rig, few tips If you plan to drive it, theres some mods needed to stop the leaf springs snapping due to torque causing them to "wrap" basically it needs a 3rd link "anti twist" bar to stop the axle wrapping around the leaf springs.
Threadlock, now id recommend this however, the rc4wd hardware (screws) are pot metal poop and strip right away, you need threadlock ideally but you wont be able to undo the screws, something to keep in mind...
My tf2 i drove 3 times and it broke on the 2nd outing, wasnt impressed for what was paid for it and their resale value is utter garbage, i truly hope you enjoy your rig.

Thanks, I did wonder how important the extra link was. I’ve deliberately not removed any leaves from the stack so as to not wreck them before I get anywhere beyond the garden.  As for threadlock, I’ll be frugal and keep a soldering iron close when I pull things apart again.
RC4WD can be varying in quality indeed and sure enough some screws have that cheese vibe, I’ve a set of Clod XVDs that will never be used as they are 1mm too long and bind like mad, I went in with my eyes open on this one and part of the reason I posted so I didn’t make any dumb mistakes and wreck it before I enjoyed it. 
With any luck I’ll hopefully at least get a run around outside the house this afternoon as there’s finally a break in the wind and rain today. 

• Like 3

LEDs fitted now, raised the dash 10mm (so it can be seen) and various little tweaks here and there. Found an old thread here with a lot of extensive stuff on this truck so used that as a starting point. Making bits and bobs to fill the bed and painting the interior are the next on the list.

Got out for a wee run round the garden etc today, its a cracking wee thing, lots of torque but feels like it could do with a 40 or 35 turn motor just to give me a little bit more top end. A 3s battery would do it but I've none that'll fit and can't see any that are right on CNHL(they are the only company I've found to deliver lipo to offshore UK).  Must mess around with the settings on the 1080 too but some are just baffling but youtube will fix that.

The tires desperately need stiffer foams as the tyres just fold under any sideways weight. I might just go for some different tires too but only getting to grips with all the sizes etc and what the max this will take is beyond me just yet so foams seems easier.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So a wee update on this thing. Got some Injora Mud Country copies on it, has made quite a difference but has introduced some rub on the back of the front arches so they'll get swapped out for something slightly smaller soon (probably go 1.55") as I don't wanna start dremelling the arches. Have also fitted some metal wipers, a push bar with some KC spots and stickered the back windows.

A mate was south recently and picked me up a 3S 2200mah lipo for a different project so tested it in this and its picked up the 45t motor to exactly the right speed and torque i want so I'll be grabbing more next chance i get. Took it to my local park this morning for a proper play and subsequent carnage, lost a wiper and K5 badge, broke a bonnet hinge mount and chipped the other corner from rolling the whole way down a big slope next to the slide but hey ho, gotta accept some damage sometimes. I did make some sliders from some 6mm brass tube, silver solder and M3 brass inserts but they need a few tweaks and painted before they go on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Performance wise this thing is pretty fun, the leafs are breaking in more now thankfully and it's taking on most of what i'd expect from it. Only impending changes will be the body mounts, the screws are driving me mental! It's just not handy compared to other options so I'll likely do the grub screw mod. In time I'll get some Boom Racing ProBuild 1.55" and likely some Element Grabbers as they have a good look to them

spacer.png

Edited by ad456m
  • Like 3

Thanks, yeah it’s a cracking wee park,  works great for the Blazer and is good fun with a monster truck too. Best part is it’s a 10 second walk away so can drive the trucks there

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Thats just fabulous 👍 How about black heat shrink on that servo wire, its the only thing giving anything away at first glance!  Try these links, no idea if the kits are any good though!

https://nooxion.eu/product/nooxion-light-module-1-14-trucks/

https://modellightingsolutions.co.uk

• Thanks 1

That is one badass looking truck mate!

It's amazing to see the transformation from stock (which was already good) to now having your own stamp on it.

Welcome to the bottomless pit world of scale trucks and the endless things you can do to them 🤙🏻

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Its a bottomless pit indeed!

I wasn't fussed on the taillights of the Blazer, seemed like they could be a bit better so I grabbed some AmPro ones. What a difference! I also took a chance on the Boom Racing Kudu light kit for their BRX models. Very cool unit with plenty of options and since i got the one for the old Land Rover they were nice and warm. I got that test fitted and its pretty much exactly what i wanted from a light kit, it controls all the spots, has hazards, control of wether indicators are working or not and brake/reverse.

spacer.png

Here's a comparison of the rear lights once I'd painted them. They are pretty good.

spacer.png

Cut out the body to fit them up.

spacer.png

Test fitted and looking miles better.

spacer.png

So I didn't do any more with the lights as I'm still deciding where the box should sit and then i can do the routing and glue the rear lights in. I'm gonna order a crimper and plugs so its a bit tidier, its a rats nest just now. So I designed and printed a basic tow hook mount and bought the RC4WD anti wrap bar and got those fitted. I also put more leafs back on to stiffen things up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In October I did the family birthday and xmas shopping and helped the Mrs by ordering her gift to me with no consultation, brave but she was cool about it. So xmas came and the gift was built.

spacer.png

So now i need something to sit on there. Enter my trusty Wild One that's been my runner for about 7 years. It needs a bit of a revamp.

spacer.png

After a wee revamp with a mix of styrene, FAV/Shark Mouth parts and a £5 Knight Customs engine we have a start. I also threw on my Scortched parts slot mags and some slicks. I'll get some paint on it once the weather better. I printed some bits to fill out the bed and prototyped a tyre rack.

spacer.png

Added some AliExpress ratchet straps and it seems the garage is a hair too small now😂

spacer.png

So I redid the tyre rack in CDS pipe and now waiting for the time to get it fixed together with more than magnets. I'm also making a battery box from some styrene and it'll give me somewhere to put the straps when there's no load. I'm also messing with the leaf spring mounts to swap the shackles from the outsides to being on a pivot in the centre, that way I won't end up with all the load on one axle. I'll add better pics of that another time when its closer to finished as I'm still messing with spacing and height. I've dropped the whole thing by 11mm so far, not sure i can do more and that may already be too much. Need a dry day and time to run it around the driveway and see if it functions properly. 

spacer.png

spacer.png 

• Like 2