• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HOBAO HYPER SSE 1/8 BUGGY ELECTRIC ROLLER BUGGY questions

So in the quest for a new of road buggy style i find myself looking at this model, as i dont have a vast sum of cash for this new rig, i have some questions relating to this model to see if its right for me, not saying at this point i will get it but once questions are answered i will know if its right or not, here goes:

1. is this a fairly decent model for the price?

2. i want to run this on 2s lipo, buying 3s packs just pushes the feeble budget sky high, so to run it 2s i have a new Surpass hobby 120amp ESC, could i use this surplus item?

3. if the 2s and 120 amp ESC can be used, what motor, would i need for it, again budget like racerstar or Surpass, can size and kv?

4. last question, if the above is a go, what kinda speed could i expect ? not after a rocket, 25-30mph would be about right 

Sorry for the questions, but i just dont want to make a mistake here

you know im going to reply a we have been discussing this, so sharing here too.

1. yes hobao are strong, my old hyper 7 has never failed me

2. it wont run on 2 lipo it will be to slow for its size see p3.
3. it wont work ezrun max 8 is min spec for this chassis imo

4. the above isnt a go and you will get 20mph out of it at best the esc will pop.

4a. if you go with min spec you can expect 25-30mph on 3s 40+ of 4s and as the max 8 takes 6s 50mph+

Im sure there are budget bangood esc and motor combo will get you over 25mph but you want a 42 can motor 36 motors are just to small imo.
All i hear from model shops is my banggood esc has exploded and the company says you can fix it, (er no the capacitors are completely peeled open). Thus i avoid, you dont want to spend a nice quid on a good chassis then fill it with poopy electrics imo.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Redback said:

you know im going to reply a we have been discussing this, so sharing here too.

1. yes hobao are strong, my old hyper 7 has never failed me

2. it wont run on 2 lipo it will be to slow for its size see p3.
3. it wont work ezrun max 8 is min spec for this chassis imo

4. the above isnt a go and you will get 20mph out of it at best the esc will pop.

4a. if you go with min spec you can expect 25-30mph on 3s 40+ of 4s and as the max 8 takes 6s 50mph+

Im sure there are budget bangood esc and motor combo will get you over 25mph but you want a 42 can motor 36 motors are just to small imo.

If you don't plan to go crazy then this ESC would be great on a budget...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-WP-SC8-Waterproof-Esc-/254859823891?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

1/8 buggys are good fun, best bang for buck imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex97 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-WP-SC8-Waterproof-Esc-/254859823891?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

That esc will work but the motor you have is to small imo. It will get cooking hot.
The man speaks true with bang for buck tho.

2 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

Thanks Alex but i would not be buying another ESC, trying to work with what i already have, as Redback kindly pointed out its not doable at this price and spec

8 minutes ago, Jack Reacher said:

Redback thanks for the reply, after our chat i did figure i cant do this rig at this spec but no harm in throwing it out to forum and then putting it to rest

for sure, i might be completely off park and always good to get others opinions because i only have my experience to go from, the more advice the better informed your decision can be.

heres what your looking at min spec imo

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-vs-1-8-buggy-electric-roller/rc-car-products/396617
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=397267

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=447265
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-30-3kg-0-09s-standard-digital-servo-metal-gear-high-voltage-waterproof/rc-car-products/433049

2 batteries 1 for when you run out or run them both for some 6s bonkers ness
cost 500 fun points.
Anything less is not worth the money imo, something will break or melt leaving you out of pocket and wishing you had put aside that extra 100 maybe.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

For not much more money, you could get the RTR Arrma Typhon Mega... Yes it's brushed, but you can always upgrade with your brushless setup possibly.

It's 1/8 Scale also. I think the Brushless version which is around £309-£320 has a 100amp ESC and 3660 sized 3200kv motor on 2 or 3s.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9900&SubCategoryID=990010&ManufacturerID=1274&CategoryID=9900&ChassisID=2118

Edited by Derka
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derka said:

For no5 much more money, you could get the RTR Arrma Typhon Mega... Yes it's brushed, but you can always upgrade with your brushless setup possibly.

It's 1/8 Scale also. I think the Brushless version which is around £309-£320 has a 100amp ESC and 3660 sized 3200kv motor on 2 or 3s.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9900&SubCategoryID=990010&ManufacturerID=1274&CategoryID=9900&ChassisID=2118

That looks pretty good, how tough are these for mild jumping? vs the higher end Arrma buggies?
Seeing lots of plastics, shocks, driveshafts, that worries me.

Edited by Redback

Simply put no this needs 3s minimum but ideally 4s. There an okay rig but nowhere near as bashable as the old hyper 7 

2s is more 1/10th scale but that said you could pair them  up to make 4s then you’d be onto a winner 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redback said:

That looks pretty good, how tough are these for mild jumping? vs the higher end Arrma buggies?
Seeing lots of plastics, shocks, driveshafts, that worries me.

No personal experience... My 6s will be my first. 

@Oh How Original has the Senton, which is similar I believe (not sure exactly though) and he rates it pretty highly. In some ways, the plastic chassis is advantageous. It's partly what makes the Traxxas X-Maxx so tough.

Hi Jack 

What about this mate the VSe roller you can use your esc and get another motor 2000 KV motor and you would run 2x2s packs and they go quite well :good:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=396617

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Derka said:

No personal experience... My 6s will be my first. 

@Oh How Original has the Senton, which is similar I believe (not sure exactly though) and he rates it pretty highly. In some ways, the plastic chassis is advantageous. It's partly what makes the Traxxas X-Maxx so tough.

Agreed, unless it's a very very well made high grade chassis... Then plastic all the way.

13 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Agreed, unless it's a very very well made high grade chassis... Then plastic all the way.

Chassis  can understand, plastic drive shafts and shocks i can not, these take lots of presure and torque and i see them snapping fairly easily, or is this not the case? Why are the hobao's metal if plastics better?

Just now, Redback said:

Chassis  can understand, plastic drive shafts and shocks i can not, these take lots of presure and torque and i see them snapping fairly easily, or is this not the case? Why are the hobao's metal if plastics better?

Only ever had one issue with my Sentons driveshafts, a pin came out after 4 packs in a row of 3s ripping lol.. About £15 to buy a pair from memory, no big deal, others are all perfect still.

Shocks are fine also, mine did eventually leak, but after a couple of years of abuse, if you've seen my videos, you've seen what my Senton takes, I'm not paid for favours, I post the bad as well as the good, nothing major has gone wrong on my Senton, I am still even using the stock servo and it's not on the level of a Savox or Xpert, but the point is, it's still working :lol: 

I've now replaced my Sentons shocks with some Typhon 6s ones... It seems better, they are more tuneable, I wish I had some softer springs for when I am ripping on the street rather than just jumping, but when we get back into the quarry, they will be fantastic for big jumps.

Less biking this summer, so I plan to send it hard!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hobao certainly is a good buggy if you can afford to put the "correct" electrics in it. 

I'd second the Arrma Typhon Mega, not a fan of the looks (none of the Arrma buggies is appealing to me visually), but it seems to fit your bill proper. You can run it 2s, you can run a 2-3s brushless system in it - which you don't need immediately since you can run it brushed. In fact, i'm currently looking at the Mega too, need something slower than my "high end stuff" to run it in the garden, and it does tick most if not all the boxes. 

I think youre all missing the ‘SSE’ part of the post!

Hobao and Hyper are usually great RCs. The SSE/SSTE range are awful and should be avoided at all costs in my opinion. Theyre so weak.

The VSE is supposed to be very good however. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Gotta laugh, a Hoboa specific thread turns into an Arrma thread, no not getting one and from what i see the Mega really is built "down" to a price, cheap controller and all

Well, yes it is built down to a price - but you have a strict low budget, so it's not necessarily something to scoff at.

That said, Guns is right, i thought we were talking about a Hyper 7. I'm not entirely certain what exactly the Hyper 7 TQ is, but here's this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hobao-hyper-7-tq-sport-brushless-conversion/284169328130?hash=item4229cfd602%3Ag%3Azu4AAOSwk1VgGGHT&LH_ItemCondition=3000

I'd argue that going used is by far your best option. Yes, few scratches and stuff, but i'd argue that it's the best option to cram a decent RC into your budget.

• Like 1