• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wheels hexes. Alternative to threadlock?

Nickarla

I use my cars on different surfaces and want to be able to change out my wheels during the day.

I’ve been using threadlock  which is a pain as you need to leave it 24 hours after applying. Is there an alternative?

I was going to experiment with plumbers/ptfe tape around the threads but having experienced wheel hex loss before I wanted to gather some thoughts before trying it for real.

I agree serrated / ribbed wheel nuts are ideal, but a cheap solution is serrated washers.
My Kronos had hopeless smooth wheel nuts that it was throwing off all the time (every outing) so I added serrated washers and they stay on perfectly.
If you’re taking them on and off often I think the serrated wheel nuts would be better though, as they are not so sharp so they won’t chew up the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree serrated / ribbed wheel nuts are ideal, but a cheap solution is serrated washers.
My Kronos had hopeless smooth wheel nuts that it was throwing off all the time (every outing) so I added serrated washers and they stay on perfectly.
If you’re taking them on and off often I think the serrated wheel nuts would be better though, as they are not so sharp so they won’t chew up the wheels.

Yes, I use the Answer ones which are serrated and use rubber washer to seal and add load. Still had one fly off, lol. 

If it’s constantly on the same side (left I think usually) then it’s because they like to loosen themselves because of the way the wheel spins, Hobao sell some CNC hexes/nuts with left and right thread, get a set of them and it should be good

sounds like the threads are knackered if the wheel nuts are coming loose etc i use those cheap ebay 17mm cover cap ones on both truggy and buggy and never had one come off even on 6s,that plumber tape will help a little but better to sort the threads now tbh,id take an axle off the rc fit a nut and try pulling it by hand see if it slips over the thread then u know u need new ones 👍

only time i had a wheel come off was on the savvy xl as it has the silly little 12mm  tamiya nuts on a 1/8th lol 😂 but at least they were flanged like Gampla said 

To be honest this only happens once because after than one occasion I used threadlock. I’ve never had an issue since but then I’ve never not used threadlock since.

I will consider the other suggestions, thank you.