• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

YouTube video/filming help

Nick

Hey guys,

I plan to be doing MSUK-Forum YouTube videos soon. I've got a few models lined up to review and have a few ideas of other things I can be filming too. This post though is more about the gear and hardware rather than the video content, I'll go more into that soon! :D

I've made an Amazon list of some gear and wondered if anyone has any opinions on it or suggestions?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/hz/wishlist/ls/2H292VRU0L7?ref_=wl_share

I'm in the process of trying to make a workbench / photo booth in my Garage although with COVID I'm not finding it easy to get the wood I need and cut it down, so I might have to just do with my dining room table.

The adjustable arm will be to move around for close up shots, then I also have a tripod to use next to me, or if I'm filming out and about. The stabiliser rig is more so it just holds everything and makes it easy to handle.

I have a Samsung S8 which will be recording the video, then the microphones to record audio, be it vocals using the chapel, or shotgun mic when out and about. Do you think the S8 will be okay for now? I don't really know what to invest in, ideally I'd like a camera so I don't smash my phone in. But then I don't want to smash in a good camera either. :lol:

Any suggestions welcome, I also need some good lighting for my workbench / table, probably a diffused light of some sort?

Nick.

S8 should be okay for some 1080p uploads, that list doesn't look bad, those little lights are actually very bright too, having two or three of those will be good, with some tabletop tripods which can be had for a couple of quid each on eBay/Amazon.

But most of what you have listed there is a bit cheaper on eBay.

I paid £8 each for those lights for example and my mic (lavalier clip on) was only £10 and I use that for vlogging, it combats wind noise so it would be fine for indoor use.

Camera wise for future investment, I would highly recommend the Nikon D3300, if you aren't wanting to spend thousands that is, have you a budget idea in mind for future camera?

I've had some very good quality footage come out of my old one and for the money, can't be beaten.

I never had an external mic set up, so you might want to look into that though.

I'd also definitely shop around on eBay as far as the lighting and mics go, I am sure you'd save a noticeable amount there.

If you want a useful camera that you can start stop via an app from phone take a look at the Runcam 2 HD and the even newer 4k version, very small as you can see in the pics, recording quality is superb in 1080HD, very small and light. Tripod from ebay for about £5, you can pick up the 1080HD Runcam for about £70 new

runcam2HD (2).JPG

runcam2HD (1).JPG

Go grab one of these... Amazon... Or Google for other places... 

About £40

Then simply up your exposure a little or vector your background off for Stills. 

If your indoors filming bench based stuff... I'm sure your s8 will suffice for 1080p stuff as oho said. 

If your going to film usage based videos outside... I'd recommend a Samsung galaxy s9+ or s10+.... Great value for great footage.... Ease of use in phenomal... Very versatile... 

You might want a gimbal too and a selfie stick to put it in... The Asians love this method... Great for scale vids etc.. Smooth panning/follow me /tpv stuff etc etc... 

If you do go the phone route.... Most newer phones are running with snapdragon or kirin chipsets capable of handling most 4k editing with relative ease.... And Stills can be edited using PSE which is free

👍

Screenshot_20200725_195519.jpg

Edited by Fly In My Soup

I use my s10+ for pretty much every video i make and always record and edit in 1080p just for ease really 4k is great but not many can utilize it yet with slow internet/pc's and 9/10 youtubers still upload in 1080p!

What i use:

S10+  (1080p record on rear and front cam) 

Boya-mm1 shotgun mic - use this both indoor and outdoor

Cheap National Geographic Tripod like the one you have linked

Manfrotto MTPIXI-B, PIXI Mini Tripod with Handgrip (This thing is a life saver and can be used as a hand grip too for vlogging style stuff!

Smartphone Tripod mounts (Literally have a handful of these. Cheap cheerful and very handy to have)

DJI OSMO MOBILE 2 or 3 but i think 2 has better reviews (Using a gimbal for cinematic shots makes a huge difference and nice and smooth footage)

Also have a couple Ring lights which i plan on upgrading to a proper lighting setup if the channel grows over 1k

Gopro Hero 7 white (Opted for the white as didn't need 4k but again if things take of will get a 4k action cam)

Filmora 9 to edit and produce the vids nice and simple layout and easy to grasp. I tried adobe premiere and was a little over complicated for my liking but each to their own!

Thats pretty much that mate out of the list most recommended by me would be the gimbal just gives everything a touch of professionalism nothing worse than jumpy footage can be had for around £60 now i think which will pay for itself eventually!

As usual audio is also important i used standard phone mic for ages and a few subscribers complained saying the quality was poor so the boya has made a massive difference with the talking parts. 

GO pros and actions cams are obviously great but bear in mind a lot of them have a wide field of view which is fine for action shots but not great for vlog style stuff so using the s8 will be fine.

Glad to have you on board on the youtube stuff mate been on the forum since 2009 on and off and properly back in to RC now so thought it was right to start a channel im no expert but i am having fun with it!

Hope it works out for you i did see your channel the other day actually and you already have a decent amount of subs so will be good to see you doing videos again.

pretty sure i can speak for everyone and say we will all back you and assist when needed!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

S8 should be okay for some 1080p uploads, that list doesn't look bad, those little lights are actually very bright too, having two or three of those will be good, with some tabletop tripods which can be had for a couple of quid each on eBay/Amazon.

But most of what you have listed there is a bit cheaper on eBay.

I paid £8 each for those lights for example and my mic (lavalier clip on) was only £10 and I use that for vlogging, it combats wind noise so it would be fine for indoor use.

Camera wise for future investment, I would highly recommend the Nikon D3300, if you aren't wanting to spend thousands that is, have you a budget idea in mind for future camera?

I've had some very good quality footage come out of my old one and for the money, can't be beaten.

I never had an external mic set up, so you might want to look into that though.

I'd also definitely shop around on eBay as far as the lighting and mics go, I am sure you'd save a noticeable amount there.

Good idea with lights on a tripod. :good: eBay is cheaper but a lot takes ages to arrive, I'm impatient, and also last minute, I have stuff I need to review yesterday. :lol:

12 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Go grab one of these... Amazon... Or Google for other places... 

About £40

Then simply up your exposure a little or vector your background off for Stills. 

If your indoors filming bench based stuff... I'm sure your s8 will suffice for 1080p stuff as oho said. 

If your going to film usage based videos outside... I'd recommend a Samsung galaxy s9+ or s10+.... Great value for great footage.... Ease of use in phenomal... Very versatile... 

You might want a gimbal too and a selfie stick to put it in... The Asians love this method... Great for scale vids etc.. Smooth panning/follow me /tpv stuff etc etc... 

If you do go the phone route.... Most newer phones are running with snapdragon or kirin chipsets capable of handling most 4k editing with relative ease.... And Stills can be edited using PSE which is free

👍

Screenshot_20200725_195519.jpg

:good:Most of my filming will be close up on bench or outside fairly close. Those photobooths are something I'll probably make as most are too small or flimsy when 1/8th are around, plus I want something I can wipe clean as I won't be always using new out of the box models!

Yeah people do well with driving and selfie sticking the car, not sure how they do it to be honest, lol.

12 hours ago, iRiCkYx said:

I use my s10+ for pretty much every video i make and always record and edit in 1080p just for ease really 4k is great but not many can utilize it yet with slow internet/pc's and 9/10 youtubers still upload in 1080p!

What i use:

S10+  (1080p record on rear and front cam) 

Boya-mm1 shotgun mic - use this both indoor and outdoor

Cheap National Geographic Tripod like the one you have linked

Manfrotto MTPIXI-B, PIXI Mini Tripod with Handgrip (This thing is a life saver and can be used as a hand grip too for vlogging style stuff!

Smartphone Tripod mounts (Literally have a handful of these. Cheap cheerful and very handy to have)

DJI OSMO MOBILE 2 or 3 but i think 2 has better reviews (Using a gimbal for cinematic shots makes a huge difference and nice and smooth footage)

Also have a couple Ring lights which i plan on upgrading to a proper lighting setup if the channel grows over 1k

Gopro Hero 7 white (Opted for the white as didn't need 4k but again if things take of will get a 4k action cam)

Filmora 9 to edit and produce the vids nice and simple layout and easy to grasp. I tried adobe premiere and was a little over complicated for my liking but each to their own!

Thats pretty much that mate out of the list most recommended by me would be the gimbal just gives everything a touch of professionalism nothing worse than jumpy footage can be had for around £60 now i think which will pay for itself eventually!

As usual audio is also important i used standard phone mic for ages and a few subscribers complained saying the quality was poor so the boya has made a massive difference with the talking parts. 

GO pros and actions cams are obviously great but bear in mind a lot of them have a wide field of view which is fine for action shots but not great for vlog style stuff so using the s8 will be fine.

Glad to have you on board on the youtube stuff mate been on the forum since 2009 on and off and properly back in to RC now so thought it was right to start a channel im no expert but i am having fun with it!

Hope it works out for you i did see your channel the other day actually and you already have a decent amount of subs so will be good to see you doing videos again.

pretty sure i can speak for everyone and say we will all back you and assist when needed!

Very helpful thank-you.

Yeah my old YT channel is over 10 years old. :lol: I'll be doing this under a new MSUKForum channel. So it will be back to 0 subs. I'm still undecided to the style of editing, and if to speak directly to the camera or keep the camera on the content.

I was considering DaVinci Resolve as an editor, similar to Adobe Premiere which I have experience with. Free to use.

Appreciate the support! :)

8 hours ago, Tony said:

What about a camera looking down from top? I'm seeing it's more common now on YouTube unboxing videos.

This is what the arm will be for, so I can do more of these close up / aerial shots.

I won't be doing unboxing videos though, I don't think they are enjoyable. :lol:

@Nick - my lights only took 4 days, if you order the ones from China they take a few weeks but the UK ones were quick.

But yes if you are in a rush and everything is available on next day Prime, then thats fair enough.

I would say you a reasonably well set, I dare say the only things you might need to add are extra little tripods for the lighting and stuff, but very easily done.

Also note, with those lights, you can use GoPro accessories too, they just mount via a coldshoe, so that's also easily done and it opens up a world of tens of thousands of accessories available.

Could someone with experience of them do a dedicated thread on free editing software? That would help a lot of us who enjoy putting vids together. 

Then perhaps a second thread on paid for software?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Could someone with experience of them do a dedicated thread on free editing software? That would help a lot of us who enjoy putting vids together. 

Then perhaps a second thread on paid for software?

To be honest good free ones are hard to find, DaVinci Resolve is free and a really high standard, I'd say it is on par with Adobe Premiere, so for the novice it can be overwhelming. but in terms of features it is unmatched.

Windows Movie Maker is still out there too. :lol:

11 hours ago, Nick said:

To be honest good free ones are hard to find, DaVinci Resolve is free and a really high standard, I'd say it is on par with Adobe Premiere, so for the novice it can be overwhelming. but in terms of features it is unmatched.

Windows Movie Maker is still out there too. :lol:

Still using Movie Maker, love it. It lacks functions and only works at 25fps, but is so easy, it's ridiculous. 

I've got a disc from Avid, good software, but some of it is confusing and I'm not yet convinced on the finally picture quality. 

Will look at the DaVinci. 👍

This sounds cool!

I am very simple in what I do, I just film and talk then edit it for close ups I bring my camera to my bench and sort of lean over 

I have an old Panasonic HD camera that I picked up at a boot sale, although that is starting to look a bit pants now. 

So in the Garage from now on will use my Go Pro 8 which is what I use when filming outside now with a cheap selfie stick  although would recommend a decent external mic I have the media mod 

I used to use my phone but not keen on that any more 

I use Corel Video Studio to edit stuffs  cheap and very easy to use 

This is sort of relevant but just to show you how good the sound is on the media mod here's me charging up a hill on my bike turn up the volume! 

• 2 months later...

https://imgur.com/a/kLVck4O

This is what I use for everything, shoot and edit with old Sony smartphone.

I would say get the lighting right, then get someone who can use a camera.
It's a huge difference when you don't shoot the video alone.

I've done only outdoor videos of driving a crawler, it would be so great to shoot the video without driving the car the same time.

What I miss the most is an optical zoom. Also for videos I would love to mount the camera to another car, chase camera, dolly shot, the world of movie style footage would open.

Edited by Egsise
typo