• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

NB's Monster savage build

Ninetiesbeard

Good read. 

I actually had a Hot Bodies version many years ago, but sold it before doing any upgrades. 

Then when I got my Super 5sc Flux, I started buying spares to keep in stock. One day I looked at the pile of spares and figured I only needed a chassis and some other bits and I could build a whole Savvy, so I did. 

I went with the Alza buggy version, looks stunning without a shell. However, I always run it with a very beat up Charger shell. 

Set-up is an MGM ESC, 1717 clone, Alza CD and uBEC. 

No RPM bits yet, but does have the Integy Deletes, which are a must. 

Only running four shocks at the mo, but might go up to eight. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's fairly quick, but to be honest I think it's geared very low, on a recent street run (below) temps were icy cool. However, I like it that way, it's under control, tops out mid forties at a guess. 

• Like 1

God I miss my Savage Flux's.... Had the original .21 in 2003ish? as my first ever Nitro, upgraded to a .25 when that came out but Nitro wasn't really for me. I thought my dreams had come true when HPI released the HPI E-Savage, but that was a disappointing money pit. The Flux then came out officially and I had to have one, but I thought converting a used .21 Nitro would be the best idea.... that cost me probably 3 times the price of a Savage Flux HP by the time it was running. Over the years I had 2x genuine Flux HP's, then two Alphastar 4S versions, which if we are honest are the best possible Savage Flux in terms of usability, and were a bargain compared to the HP. My 7th Savage was then a TCS 1/5th Conversion with 1/5th Baja Wheels. I sold everything when the Xmaxx came out, which was the right decision, but Savage's do have such a soft spot in my heart.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I nearly ended up posting some pics! But back to yours :)

Edited by Guns
  • Like 1

Reading that made me realise how much I miss a good savage. Had nearly every nitro version over the years, always modding and tinkering. Toyed with going brushless but for me then a savage had to be nitro - nothing better than that noise and smell - wish I'd kept my XL now😔

Loving the brushless charger with the irc big bores, always wanted a set of those. 

• Like 1

Yeah those shocks are awesome, i think for big air landings theres nothing better because of the volume. Although theyre a bit stiff but thats just the sealing elements i think

• 7 months later...

Okay, time for an update on this one too! So the arrma kraton driveshafts didnt fit as they were too long. Back to the drawing board, but msuk came to the rescue. Whoever on here suggested LST driveshafts, (possibly you @Kukynas) wins some serious cool points as they actually work. I used the stub axle of the chinese flux cvd from ebay, and the shafts from an original LST to create my frankenshafts. I had to redesign the barrels in those, as the pin diameters were different and neither barrel fit correctly. After all that, i cut the savage xl axles spacers in half, spaced the axles out properly and its been mint ever since. All four corners rock their new shafts, the truck has been bashing twice since then and had no issues. 

Now i am onto a different game; making my own wheels. Ive wanted large tyres on the truck forever, and it just so happens that DMS racing (effectively down the road from me) had some old IMEX blazer 44 series tyres. I picked up two sets and got prototyping, as they are much larger than 40 series tyres. I believe 4.4 inches wide lol. I got quite far, designing and redesigning the wheel several times a long the way, with a lot of help from @hamradioguy we even printed a prototype. The design has changed a lot since then, but the core geometry has stayed the same. 

The redesign followed a few suggestions from my friend, to make life for printing more efficient and to make the design stronger. Its actually a five piece design, with the wheel barrel being two pieces, the hex plate/centre being one, and two beadlocks. I also had a change of heart about the look, modifying it to give an old school kyosho vibe with the slotted wheels. This has been designed for use with threaded inserts, as the original prototype just cracked the print material after tapping. Its been so long since i did any work on this (4 months) that i cant really remember where i was at, although the screenshots shown are the most recent iteration.

Now we come to cost. My friend here is fairly certain that the wheels wont last on the savage, being as it is so heavy and the tyres are so heavy. He is probably correct, so i believe the best course of action is to print a prototype to check that it works and then either get them printed in some sort of nylon or get them machined out of delrin. I can export the STL, so its no worries. If i remember correctly, theres well over 10 hours of solid printing in one wheel, which makes for a very very long cycle with a lot of filament. The inserts for threading are also very expensive, so the whole set will probably end up costing a fair whack when done. Although i am really really excited to get moving with that.

The truck also got a russian unbreakable bodyshell since the last time you saw it, but i dont really like it. I much prefer my old green body so i may buy and paint up another one. 

IMX7491.jpg.565b67692140cfc84596426a7bcfdf32.jpg

The imex blazer 44 tyre

9555ce3be314f1adcb059b89c339fd54.png.13819c62273d42a56569e4874d398094.png

Comparison to 40 series mulchers

8dcc25cfefb544e7c2c9949cb003e136.thumb.png.70123506404197c6b69148af17e4d3ff.png

The designed wheel laid bare, Really big fan of this, probably over 100 hours in that design by now.

ac99a4ed8174bc0f401279b18a1d38eb.thumb.png.097cedeac781a206b1a8449054b6086f.png

120a8eedaaaf6ada49662f52ff22edcb.png.0973f553c229ffe52c586a6eab7d706b.png

Still looking pretty, Thanks for reading! Will update as and when i have things to show.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Thanks man 🙂 Well with pla, probably not very well. It will likely delaminate/split if hit too hard. Its a heavy truck too, so it will be interesting to see. I am doing one last rebuild, and will then test the truck on 4s to see what they can handle. I will report back with specific details after the fact, and will post them here

3d printed rims might hold up OK if you stay off the jumps. They are strong in the right dierction for the actual rim. The bit I would worrk about though, is the wheel hex area. Whether it sill stay on the wheel! Could see it shear off where the hex joins the main wheel disc if there is not enough support.  I'd say they would be stronger with a solid dish and plenty of ribbed support in the back.

Only way to find out though is to drive the beast!

Love the IMEX tyres though

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

3d printed rims might hold up OK if you stay off the jumps. They are strong in the right dierction for the actual rim. The bit I would worrk about though, is the wheel hex area. Whether it sill stay on the wheel! Could see it shear off where the hex joins the main wheel disc if there is not enough support.  I'd say they would be stronger with a solid dish and plenty of ribbed support in the back.

Only way to find out though is to drive the beast!

Love the IMEX tyres though

Haha thanks man. True enough thats the part i think will fail too. The design of those specific hex adaptors means i dont get much actual hex depth, so it may even strip them at that point. Theres some support there, and it feels rigid in hand, but only time will tell

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, leongordon234 said:

Had a good read through this, some amazing work gone into sourcing parts etc 

Really like the big wheels and tyres combo 

Would be interesting to see progress on the wheels 

Thanks man 🙂

Its getting rebuilt at the moment, going to paint up a new body and add a bunch of carbon fibre parts to front motor it. Should be done sometime early next year, it is financially crippling lol

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Kpowell911 said:

You simply dont see builds like this anymore, this is stunning!

That said, I'm not sure how the 540XL will be? its only a 3670 motor?

Thanks man that means a lot 🙂 It is a baby motor. My thinking is that if it moves a traxxas maxx around like it does, it will probably be fine for this truck. Again im not too sure. I may end up going for a 2200kv castle unit if this turns out to be pants. It was expensive too considering how big it is

• 4 months later...

Love the updates been following for a while 

The wheels looks great, imagine them built in alloy 😂

Nice idea switching to the maxx shocks not seen that done before

Are thos extended arms or just normal size? 

What are you going to do with your irc shocks you took off? 🤔🧐 Been contemplating upgrading my xl for a long time 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 26/06/2022 at 15:32, leongordon234 said:

Love the updates been following for a while 

The wheels looks great, imagine them built in alloy 😂

Nice idea switching to the maxx shocks not seen that done before

Are thos extended arms or just normal size? 

What are you going to do with your irc shocks you took off? 🤔🧐 Been contemplating upgrading my xl for a long time 

Sorry for the six month late reply!

Those are maxx shocks yes, and they feel good. Still havent run the truck yet, although i have everything to complete it. I sold the irc shocks on ebay dead cheap, i wish i had seen this beforehand! I have the cad files of the wheels, which can easily be sent to a cnc firm to be cut. Since these posts i also co own a lathe/milling machine with a buddy so we could also turn out a set of billet ones ourselves 🙂 although they would probably be very heavy. Im considering machining the inner plates from aluminium and leaving the barrels printed. The arms are extended and made by fast lane machine, same as the diff cases and shock towers. Hopefully ill have an update soon when i stick the thing together and test it. Its been a busy time, we will see what happens