• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Coronavirus

Nick

It must be really hard for self employed people to risk isolation if they are living week to week.

I'm able to work from home and have spent all day putting our local server onto a cloud so it can be accessed remotely. But I don't plan to self isolate until it hits home more, I think we are quite safe in Yorkshire at the moment.

I'm not too far out from Yorkshire, I don't believe we've had any confirmed cases locally.

But it does seem that loads of people just have colds at the moment, so if someone did get it, apparently that's when you're at the biggest risk is when you have a cold or something similar that's already battering your immune system.

Local government job here, so we'll follow central if they decide anything.  Huge amount of prep work going on to make sure we can still keep services running.  I am pretty setup to work from home on a regular basis anyway.  If schools shut it's going to make the timelines for some projects really interesting!

Having great difficulty getting hold of dust masks at work for work. Company is basically waiting for the isolation order, although nobody has actually directly commented on it yet. Confirmed case in the hospital local to work, Someone died of it in the hospital local to where i live, so yeah its sneaking up here for sure.

I’m working on a total house refurb and extension at the moment, so as long as we can still get the materials in it won’t effect me much hopefully.... But if the daughters school closes or we are advised to keep her at home (she is T1 Diabetic) that’s a different story

We operate food logistics, being asked to work as long as possible but with precautions. Not to bad for us in the workshops as we can isolate from drivers and we all wear gloves. We are all committed to doing our best to keep operational as we supply some remote stores and many areas where elderly people rely on their local shop. Very concerning though, could be a very challenging time for the whole country. 

• Like 1

I'm a Prototyping Technician and can't do my job from home just like millions of others so it is concerning.  

Edited by GMballistic

I wonder what will happen with regards to paying rent in council houses and such for people who aren't able to work from home if the whole country or your region goes into lockdown.

I dare say that given this type of thing is considered an act of god, everything like that would simply be put on hold?

One of the problems that effects us is our house is run by a single fire, if our supplies of wood and coal dries up, we'll be without any heating at all for the duration.

Edited by Oh How Original

We can just be thankful were in very good hands and hope for the best. 

Has anyone seen empty supermarket shelves or stores yet I keep reading about those in uk and that worries me more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Has anyone seen empty supermarket shelves or stores yet I keep reading about those in uk and that worries me more. 

My local Home Bargains shut at 1pm the other day, simply because it was empty.  On a normal day it's busy 10 minutes over closing time! Asda shelves for loo roll and other bits are completely stripped, and about 3-4 miles from me is one of the Cornovirus hubs.

As for work, one of the guys across the office has come into contact with someone who has been to Spain and shows symptoms, so it's a matter of waiting to find out what happened yesterday. Working from home is no problem, but i would rather not as i'm easily distracted with toys :lol: 

• Like 1

Why are people buying all the loo roll and hand sanitizer? Its a respiratory virus,  not gastric flu. The advice by BJ yesterday was woefully inadequate.  Don't want to catch it? Don't go near someone who has it. Simple as. Wiping stuff down with anti bacterial spray won't kill a virus. Were in the same situation as Italy a week ago...

Anyway, I work for 111, so we have to work regardless and since call numbers are rising well beyond anything we've seen before and the emergency measures PHE want, work is manic. I'm still surprised the Government didn't ban all gatherings and state people should work from home and order all banks to give free payment holidays.

Also, don't buy all the pasta, eat enough and you won't need all that panic bought toilet paper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am in IT I can work from home (worst case) but most of the people i support cannot as we are a factory 80% of the work force is production based.

The machines are all connected to the network and the workstations they work from, but pretty useless if there is no one there to press the buttons and load the product.

The rest of the workforce are on laptops and can work from home but again they rely on the factory running so its a catch 22! 

We are owned by an american company, so far they are just saying what the government is saying. With no official word on shutting! 

There are several people walking around with coughs and colds how the hell can you tell the difference? 

What do they do go home wait it out, what if it is just a cough and cold? 

45 minutes ago, tamiyafanboy said:

There are several people walking around with coughs and colds how the hell can you tell the difference? 

What do they do go home wait it out, what if it is just a cough and cold? 

They aren't told to go home anyway? Even in normal times, sick people coming to work makes more people sick. 

Why is the advice on 111 English go online but the rest of uk call 111. Why cant we all just call or go online. Thats strange. 

Is it in Staffordshire yet? 

The govt wants 60% to catch the virus to build herd immunity. So were cattle lol. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-herd-immunity-uk-nhs-outbreak-pandemic-government-a9399101.html%3famp

Edited by RCbutcher

people being daft and emptying shelves up local to me in pickering, 

severe shortage of bog roll in supermarkets , but plenty in small local shops,

not actually heard of anyone local to me with covid-19 ,

but had a call from pickering surgery this morning cancelling an general blood pressure/blood test appointment I had for next Monday, ( yearly check up appointment )

so surgeries are cancelling non urgent appointments up here now,

all schools are still open though, so just minor precautions being taken at moment I think,