• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

EC5 rant

nut-nut

So, EC5 plugs are better than deans, that makes sense as the contact points are tighter and there is more contact surface area than a deans, but, why are they so hard to clip together once you have soldered the contacts?  I have to literally hammer them in to the plug to get them to clip.  Am I doing something wrong?  

Yes you're correct imho  @nut-nut that EC5 are better than Deans connectors. 

Personally though I prefer XT90 like a lot of others over the EC5's although I use Castle Creations 8mm bullets on most of my RC's as they're set up for speed running.  With the only exceptions being my Tamiya Hornet with Tamiya connectors and my XB4 race buggy with 5mm bullet connectors for my shorty packs.  😉

With EC5s the female ones have been fine, popped them in with a punch but the males are a different story.  What I did was get the females done then pop them together and press them in with the vice, very carefully.  Has worked every time for me. 

I’m only sticking with EC5 due to Arrma warranty though, as soon as the 2 years is up I’m switching to XT90.

Deans are a no go, caused my outcast to go into a kind of limp home mode, they can’t handle the power surge.   Plenty of YouTube vids though whatever connector you decide to go with. 

• Like 1

Did someone say something about XC90s?  Maybe I should look at those.

17 hours ago, Tug said:

You lot deaf? BULLETS!

😂

Or, has anyone tried bullets before? 

In all seriousness, with bullets, what is the best way to keep them separated when sitting idle?  surely they could short (on batteries with fixed cables of course, not on the ones with detachable cables).

XT60's, Why XT60's you may ask, Cos a good few years or more ago everyone was saying to go XT60, So I did, Now all of a sudden it's XT90's, Go figure.

But Deans are by far the worst, Horrid things.

8 minutes ago, Tug said:

You use the heatshrink to shroud the ends, never had a problem. 

So, pop some heat shrink on when you store them/don't use them?  Sounds like it'd work

4 minutes ago, babylon said:

XT60's, Why XT60's you may ask, Cos a good few years or more ago everyone was saying to go XT60, So I did, Now all of a sudden it's XT90's, Go figure.

But Deans are by far the worst, Horrid things.

Deans are awful aren't they, just diabolical things, XT90s do look nice, but, I am thinking bullets would be future proof, also, it would make it much less hassle for charging etc.

4 minutes ago, nut-nut said:

So, pop some heat shrink on when you store them/don't use them?  Sounds like it'd work

Deans are awful aren't they, just diabolical things, XT90s do look nice, but, I am thinking bullets would be future proof, also, it would make it much less hassle for charging etc.

No, just heat shrink the exposed part of the female bullet like on a motor wire

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guns said:

No, just heat shrink the exposed part of the female bullet like on a motor wire

I am an idiot, of course, you put the females on the batteries, not the males.....   🤪

• Like 1

XT90 For me. My Kraton V3 came with them, a few other things came with deans... After considering the situation I soon moved EVERYTHING to XT90, even if it was overkill.

Deans are the absolute worst, and I have no idea how something so obviously terrible became so prevalent in RC.

I had wondered if I should have gone EC5 but this conversation is telling me I made the right choice.

12 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

XT90 For me. My Kraton V3 came with them, a few other things came with deans... After considering the situation I soon moved EVERYTHING to XT90, even if it was overkill.

Deans are the absolute worst, and I have no idea how something so obviously terrible became so prevalent in RC.

I had wondered if I should have gone EC5 but this conversation is telling me I made the right choice.

If you don't have to fit the plugs yourself they are good, in fact, if you didn't have to simply click the bullets into the plugs, they are good.  It's the plastic plug, they are hellish.  So, I think you made the right choice.

On 16/02/2020 at 16:00, nut-nut said:

In all seriousness, with bullets, what is the best way to keep them separated when sitting idle?  surely they could short (on batteries with fixed cables of course, not on the ones with detachable cables).

As @Tug mentioned you put the male bullet on the negative and the female bullet on the positive of the battery pack. This is by  far the safest and only way you should run bullets. 

I learnt a while ago from a good friend, fellow speed runner, that E-cig disposable drip tip mouthpiece covers are great for safely covering the male negative ends on my batteries so that's what I use as they're cheap, readily available at E-cig shops or online and look good. 

Picture below of my Serpent speed runner ~ I've circled the connections on my battery in red to highlight them. 👍

21.jpg

• Like 1