• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo safety, we all should think about it

Bluebeetle

2 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

Out of pure curiosity, what caliber ammo boxes (if perhaps if were being less interesting, how big are the boxes) does everyone have, and how many batteries do you put in them?

Is it better to have lots of fairly small boxes if you have lots of batteries?

Quick look on Google seems to suggest you can get boxes used for Mortars 😁

GOPR2512.jpg

one i use buddy paid £4 each i dont drill mine as they give me time to get out the house incase it all goes wrong and i dont wanna breath any nasty gases in get 8-9 lipos each smaller and easier to carry about etc

Edited by Bajadre

30 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

30cal is indeed larger than 5.56, but i'm not sure why you'd say that it's not used by the NATO anymore. Most, if not all countries in the NATO use 30cal (or 7.62x51) for battle rifles and/or their heavier machine guns. That ebay link is selling "M13" boxes, which is 7.62x51 NATO, belts for the M60 (amongst other weapons, but it's a 7.62x51 belt). 

It's more that if the box is labeled 30cal, it could be ancient and any rubber seals could be perished. A 7.62 box is likely to be much newer. The boxes I bought appeared to be completely new.

5 minutes ago, helsinki98 said:

I have ordered a bat safe as my wife would kill me if this happened. 

Does anyone have experience with these? 

They test them in the video and they seem to hold up pretty well, but the fume filters are of debatable effectiveness.

The bat safe is a decent choice, i'd argue. Especially after watching the linked video. The fumes are toxic either way, i wouldn't trust any "cheap" solution to be able to catch everything especially when pushed through it under high pressure. The smoke is toxic, the safe won't change that - but it certainly held up great against the pressure/fire. 

22 minutes ago, mond said:

It's more that if the box is labeled 30cal, it could be ancient and any rubber seals could be perished. A 7.62 box is likely to be much newer. The boxes I bought appeared to be completely new.

Well, the description and selector in that link says "30cal" - but the used 30cal box says 7.62 on the side in the picture. They also sell unlabelled new ones. I don't have rubber seals, and i'm not 100% certain i'd want them. The video mentioned it briefly as well. I'm somewhat certain that the pressure would be able to push the rubber seal out anyway, but if it wouldn't, you have built a pretty big explosive device, don't want to take that chance. But, if it can push out the rubber seal anyway, it's kinda useless in the first place. 

That's just me personally though, there's no empirical evidence behind that.

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

The bat safe is a decent choice, i'd argue. Especially after watching the linked video. The fumes are toxic either way, i wouldn't trust any "cheap" solution to be able to catch everything especially when pushed through it under high pressure. The smoke is toxic, the safe won't change that - but it certainly held up great against the pressure/fire. 

Well, the description and selector in that link says "30cal" - but the used 30cal box says 7.62 on the side in the picture. They also sell unlabelled new ones. I don't have rubber seals, and i'm not 100% certain i'd want them. The video mentioned it briefly as well. I'm somewhat certain that the pressure would be able to push the rubber seal out anyway, but if it wouldn't, you have built a pretty big explosive device, don't want to take that chance. But, if it can push out the rubber seal anyway, it's kinda useless in the first place. 

That's just me personally though, there's no empirical evidence behind that.

Depends on who is selling the boxes. I saw one which is a gamble what you get. So in the cans I put batteries in, I drill a hole anyway but I do have a few I use to store stuff in that isn't likely to explode where the rubber seal keeps moisture etc out.

I'm going by the ebay link that Paul Busby linked, no idea about generally - as mentioned, i got mine from a family member, never looked into it myself. 

In regards to storage charged lipos, i was under the assumption (maybe wrongly?) that we're talking charging. Storage charged lipos i'd probably put into rubber sealed cans, yeah. But not for charging.

Personally the only precaution I take whilst charging is keeping them in line-of-sight. Lipo pouches are useless when it comes to charging in the sense that LiPo's need to be monitored during charging, the sacks merely mask the runaway until it's too late.

Storage wise I joined the ammo tin club a couple of years back and have no issues. I have about 15 packs stored in one tin, all at storage charge. I keep the tin in the shed where it rarely gets cold enough to worry.

8 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

That has nothing to do with "perfect people", no reason to get sassy. People know that **** can hit the fan, and you said yourself that your mate did know that too. 

That's the reason why we (well apparently all of us, lol) have ammo boxes. Does it suck for him? Absolutely, and i understand that it sucks big time to lose all your (or a lot of your) stuff. But in the end, he played russian roulette and lost. That's what it boils down to, i don't see why that can't be pointed out without you getting offended or something?

Got mine from my sister in laws husbands father, i think he might've nicked it back when he was in the army - it certainly looks vintage :D

Oh no, dont get me wrong. Im Finnish, not sassy.

But english is my third language, so i can express my self a little wrong at times.

I have my own lipos stored in a money-box, but i am getting another for charging purposes.

• Like 1

Hmmmmn - I really should examine my charging procedures. I often charge the batteries in the cars because I'm too lazy to remove them (especially from the Kraton). I do keep an eye on them whilst in the workshop but I think I'd better go to the ammo box method - seeing as I have some.

I store mine at the moment in a steel lockable post box bolted to the brick wall in the garage, i have fastened the flap shut with 6mm bolts, in there i store 3 x 3s batteries each in sacks as for charging if i can i do it outside on an old roof tile, this is the best i can do for now but always open to idea's.

This one popped up in my recommendation feed this morning:

I thought the idea of a bag of sand over the top of a breezeblock, so that it would put it self out in the event of a thermal run away, was pretty damn clever.

Bat safe arrived, very happy with this. Ordered some jst extender leads to allow balance boards to be installed, nice bit of kit. 

Has 4No. 3s 5000mah lipos in, could fit 12 No. easily for storage. 

Charger mount is nice with velcro to easily attach remove. 

IMG_20191103_214651.jpg

IMG_20191103_214544.jpg

IMG_20191103_214609.jpg

I'll be honest, I just don't get these charging boxes, If your gonna charge inside, Then OK, It will help in stopping your house from burning down, But will do nothing about it stinking for the rest of eternity.

When it comes to storage I've never heard of one just spontaneously exploding for no reason, I've got about 10 that have been stuck at storage charge for over 2 years, And the only ones I see go bang on the internet 95% of the time have a nail sticking out of them. I just charge outside and and store in my plastic fireproof charging station, All 20 odd in one place.

20180204-172307-1.jpg

20180204-180522-1.jpg

1 hour ago, mond said:

I think they'll only go wrong in storage if something physically happens to the battery.  Similarly I've batteries that haven't been used in a couple of years. I check them every few months but that's it.

Same here, Check them every now and then when it suddenly pops into my head to do so, Pardon the pun, But this has, And always has been blown out of all proportion if you ask me. 

Even if you do a YouTube search, Which I just did, And there is next to nothing with Lipo's going up under normal conditions, And considering how many thousands upon thousands of lipo there are being charged and cycled thousands and thousands of time on a daily bases, I say makes them pretty robust. So just store at storage charge and Charge outside, and give the industrial 234-768x768.jpg

a miss

Nobody is talking about storing though. 

Charging obviously is when potential disaster can strike. Had to laugh at "i don't get the fireproof charging boxes, here's my plastic fireproof charging box" though. 

• Haha 1

I race twice per week.  In the last 1 year I've seen 2 lipo fires at a track.  One instance the battery was in the car actually being raced, the other instance the battery was on charge in the back of a camper van.  I don't know the stories behind them, whether it was something the user done wrong or otherwise.  The camper incident caused a lot of damage to the van, the guy managed to throw the car out with the battery in (it was still on fire) and then blast the inside with an extinguisher...it was a right mess.  The battery was being charged in the car, it was not in a sack.

But then again I was racing last weekend at an event attended by 80 drivers, there was 4 qualifiers and 3 finals so obviously a lot of charging going on, no issues - and I 'm sure that was the case at many venues throughout the country.

Just don't do anything stupid, take fair precautions (minimum Lipo sack) and the chances of experiencing a mishap is very minimal.

I think context is everything with those situations. There's allot of ways to mistreat a battery or try to use one we'll beyond its capabilities.  I won't cast dispersions on any particular battery brands but all the puffing or broken lipos I've seen involve the cheaper brands being used with ESCs and motors which demand more than the battery can deliver.