• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas

Ady 2215

So this may be interesting. 

How may people have traxxas rc products and like them,

And how many people will not buy them due to the way they operate but may like what they see? 

Edited by Ady 2215

39 minutes ago, Ady 2215 said:

So this may be interesting. 

How may people have traxxas rc products and like them,

And how many people will not buy them due to the way they operate but may like what they see? 

My absolute honest opinion.

I've had many Traxxas products and I still currently own a Summit.

Would I ever buy new? No, for several reasons.

I personally think (not thinking about the brand and they're sueing everyone) they are overpriced for the quality and the items you get.

I had a Slash, which is known to be one of the ultimate bashing vehicles, but they handle like absolute crap and many many owners have had the stock electrics go up in smoke prematurely.

My Associated SC10 outhandled and outjumped it at every turn and was 1/3rd the price.

The Summit, again, it's kind of a cool vehicle, but a lot of money for a jumped up SCT (I know there is a bit more to it than that, but that's essentially what it is) and due to the size they don't really play well with other 'crawler' type vehicles as they are often too big to fit places true 1/10th scale stuff can go.

The locking diffs and whatnot are a bit of a gimmick, but I like the 2 speed feature, but again you pay through the nose for the pleasure.

There servos are junk, not just the RTR ones, I've used all sorts of there servos and they're weak and in comparison to Savox, Hitec, Xpert etc... They are a million miles behind.

And on new vehicles, I hate the fact they are trying to sink so many other RC brands, I can't see how RC hobbyists don't understand that buying new Traxxas stuff is fundementally helping to make your hobby worse in the long run.

I think the way Xmaxx customers were treated was beyond awful and for some reason they just took it, paying a massive amount for a truck with several very expensive issues that weren't resolved.

A new release with Traxxas doesn't necessarily mean new, it might just mean fresh stock or a new colour.

Would I buy used? Yes if the right vehicle was there for the right price.

I really like how the UDR looks, it's a bit concerning for a company such as Traxxas who claim to be the ultimate, blah blah blah.... And they tell you not to jump it, which a trophy truck DOES do a fair bit of, which makes me then look at the SBR in a different light.

But, if a decent condition one came along at a good price, I would find it very hard to resist at least giving one a try.

That's just my personal opinion and the way I see it, I don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees, I'm not a hater, because there is actually strong and valid reasons for my dislike of the company and the people who run it.

I think this thread could be quite educating, if people can put personal differences aside and actually post some valid and informative things.

But, that's unlikely on MSUK :lol: 

I’ll try to keep this as neutral as I can... :whistling:

had many many Traxxas Rc over time and still own 4 now between me and the lad.

as for the cars, yes they are pricey but do have excellent warranty backup, parts are cheap and a whole host of 3rd party companies make upgrades etc. making parts as easy to find as Tamiya parts.

never had a issue with stock electrics (my lads trx4 steering servo was the first), I set all end points before the vehicle touches the ground and been fine.

i have also found them to be tough, I remember my lad t-boning a helion dominus sc truck with his slash, the slash drove on, the dominus was held together via the body shell.

now I don’t agree how the company has/is being run. But would that put me off buying another?? No not really, if the Rc ticks all my boxes then why not? Or would I be better buying something from another manufacturer that I wouldn’t be 100% happy with.

im a fan of their rc’s not so much the company’s practices.

there that’s my neutral viewpoint from experience, now to sell a kidney for a udr.....

• Like 1

If I based things around the way a company was run would not buy much. Every company has faults or things we don't agree with. If the truck car etc is durable well made then why cut your nose to spite your face.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Total number of Traxxas cars owned.. . 2

Old and beaten up Stampede bought years ago for not a lot of money so the kids could have a car to play with that could cope with grass etc. Still have it. 

It has never had the stock electrics in it though I briefly ran a VXL system in a Firestorm. I wasn't impressed and sold it as they fetched silly money. 

Also bought their overpriced semi monster truck, the Revo....as I wanted to own all the classics at some point. It was the older short wheelbase version. It was over complex, hard to work on, had a restrictive exhaust with limited options and the spur gear fouled the intake. It had reverse...which I hardly used. It had stock suspension which I had to completely replace ...way too soft...did not keep it long. Never drove like I wanted.

So...would I buy a new one. No. They all seem to need money invested to make them reliable and they cost way too much new for what they are.

Would I buy a used one? Yes...if it was cheap and interested me. 

The company has a place in the hobby, but they charge far too much for very outdated products ( nearly £200 for a brushed 2wd Stampede?). They continue to fit marginal electronics to a lot of models....which is stupid. They provide an easy way in with everything in the box...but shod invest the money in testing...as too often a new release is burning out all over the forums. Which they aggressively try to suppress rather than fix. They could be so much more.

Edited by Nitroholic

I've had various traxxas models over the years and still have a summit and like the availability of traxxas and aftermarket parts. Yes I hate the traxxas are suing and trademarking every word they can think of but that wouldn't currently put me off keeping or buying one in the future. It seems they are trying to cripple other manufacturers which is wrong on so many levels. 

Owned plenty, enjoyed most of those, but their prices are insane for what you get. I always prefer new where possible, but the UDR and X-Maxx are ridiculous prices. 

You have to remember that these are always RTRs, so the leccy bits will always be cheap guff to keep their costs down. Servos that are just able to do the job. ESCs that have no programmability and are prone to venting, have we forgotten the infamous "fuse link"? What a debacle that was!

On the whole I've always enjoyed their models, but they're overpriced by quite some margin. A lot of their designs are very old and are being surpassed by the competition, in price and quality. I think Traxxas are now responding to this, but very slowly. 

As for their copyright lawsuits, protecting their business is understandable, but they're going to harm the hobby in the long run if they continue sueing everyone. 

Like Horizon, you cannot just say all Traxxas products are good or bad. How a company operates is a different matter though.

I'm genuinely considering a TRX4 but everything else they make seems to be overpriced or under engineered. 850 quid for a plastic truggy? That's 5th scale money. 500 quid for an SCT that comes with a slipper, where the first advice is replace all plastics and drive shafts? Nah. Then fanboys get defensive over comments like that rather than being objective.  A good purchase, one that is value for money shouldn't need excellent parts support or need entire companies producing aftermarket parts. That doesn't just apply to Traxxas either.

For me, the most enjoyable part of the hobby is the build. Therefore, unless the model is an absolute bargain (which Traxxas is not), I would not bother buying a RTR as typically you end up paying extra for a model that has had most of the fun taken out of it.

(That goes for RTRs in general, not just Traxxas. Although if I was to somehow lose my ability to build through accident or disability or whatever, I would still choose a brand other than Traxxas due to their business practices.)

• Thanks 1

We have a few traxxas they are relatively easy to work on, my lad can do all of the servicing and order + replace parts (he’s 12 years old) we try to buy pre owned but sometimes it nice to have something new, prices are eye watering but the entertainment and skills you acquire kind of balance things up a little.

Look at the petrochemical companies for instance should we ever buy anything else again from petrol to plastic bags, after all they’ve decimated indigenous populations for years, polluted, stolen and killed for there dream.

Traxxas are just aggressively protecting the product.

Sent from some dusty track

Nice short reply. Like the stuff they make. Don't follow them enough to know of their company practices. Would I buy new.? No. As I couldn't afford to. Would I if I could afford to? Possibly. I loved the T-Maxx and always will. Owned and played with an old 4Tec. That was an alright piece of kit. Tamiya for me is where my heart lies.

28 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Don't follow them enough to know of their company practices. Would I buy new.? 

I don't either but a quick search brings up enough to make me not want to buy a Traxxas. I think its general lack of awareness that Traxxas relies on.

• Thanks 1

I'd bet a fair bit of money on betting nearly every company you deal with does something unethical at some point. It's whether that is legal and just extremely unethical, like Google and Apples Tax evasion or if it's illegal and open to prosecution.

2 minutes ago, mond said:

I'd bet a fair bit of money on betting nearly every company you deal with does something unethical at some point. It's whether that is legal and just extremely unethical, like Google and Apples Tax evasion or if it's illegal and open to prosecution.

Until you know what that might be, I prefer not to make assumptions. I certainly wouldn't use this to excuse or overlook a companies ethics.

i have owned almost all traxxas EP cars  and every GP apart from the T maxx.   All second hand apart from my original Emaxx mk1  many of the used ones have been in mint condition.   The main issues with traxxas are the high price we pay in the UK seems to be for a warranty  that people in the US seem to get but we don't.  And the cars have had issues with weak parts for years but they still do nothing about them  so we have to go for after market parts.   Most of the cars they sell claim one thing but don't deliver.   AS for all the bad press they get  it could be sorted by cutting prices or giving a fair warranty that some other countries get  also stop the hype/lies.

forgot to say i went with traxxas because at the time spares were very easy to get hold of.

Edited by turok007

37 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

Until you know what that might be, I prefer not to make assumptions. I certainly wouldn't use this to excuse or overlook a companies ethics.

I'm not saying overlook them but I've worked for several companies that routinely do stuff that's unethical. Even minor stuff, like getting you to sign the EU 48 hour maximum working hours waiver form as part of the small print within a contract is really common. Flouting employment law until recently was commonplaces, as you couldn't get legal aid unless you paid something like 2k up front to challenge that. That only changed a year or two ago.

I like the look of some traxxas models but I would never buy one not even used, because they operate in a bad way. 

Big fan of Traxxas products if Im honest, and Im horrifically selfish and dont really care about their morales as I just think theyre doing whats best for themselves as everyone should. That said. I dont like their ‘recent’ pricehikes where they are insessant on including an over priced TSM radio and the battery/awful charger that they keep bundling. Their servo’s annoy me but its a fairly cheap improvement that Id have to do in most RTRs. 

On the flip side. I can COMPLETELY agree and accept that people flat out despise their ethics and products and see them as a cancer of the RC world (Im not saying theyre helping but I think the hobby is in such a bad way that they feel they NEED to be this way).

Also get what you will from this. I dont own a single Traxxas Product. I have the money in my bank for an Xmaxx, a UDR and an E-Revo 2.0. I look at them most days. But somethings stopped me pulling the trigger, and for once Im fortunate enough to be in a position that this isnt because of the finances. I just dont seem to ‘want’ one enough. And this is coming from someone who literally used to buy the new Traxxas Model by hook or by crook upon release 

• Like 1

Traxxas brings 6s power and hobby grade rc trucks with massive parts support to the masses. 

Even with the new Id chargers and connectors on Traxxas batteries makes charging some lipos for the first time very easy, only traxxas rc I currently own is my Udr, it's over priced for the equipment fitted but I wanted one and couldn't stop my self lol

31 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

So do others. Parts support is only hampered by Traxxas suing anyone who dares compete. Hardly a plus for them.

Parts support has nothing to do with Traxxas suing anyone, in fact parts support problems are all coming from 1 factory in Taiwan which makes all the popular rc's at the moment what everyone is waiting for stock on. But the nero was discontinued due to Traxxas taking them to court over the whole suspension layout. Which i agree is absolutely daft. 

9 minutes ago, tanveer said:

Parts support has nothing to do with Traxxas suing anyone, in fact parts support problems are all coming from 1 factory in Taiwan which makes all the popular rc's at the moment what everyone is waiting for stock on. But the nero was discontinued due to Traxxas taking them to court over the whole suspension layout. Which i agree is absolutely daft. 

I thought it was one component, the rocker? Arrma only need tweak the design of that one part, surely?

6 minutes ago, Tug said:

I thought it was one component, the rocker? Arrma only need tweak the design of that one part, surely?

Im not totally sure which part it was, i just know it was something to do with that inboard suspension layout.

10 minutes ago, tanveer said:

Im not totally sure which part it was, i just know it was something to do with that inboard suspension layout.

Yeah, I read it was the rocker, pretty much identical.

I'm confident Arrma will survive.