• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How Deep Is Your Wallet?

RegisteredUser

Bit of a personal question folks! But no harm in asking I hope.

Just wondering how long you've been into RC as a whole and how much you've spent (roughly). I've spent about £6000 over the past four years, including making money back from sales (The figure is more like £7000 before selling stuff to make money back). I think it's a lot and I aim to spend no more then £1000 per year on average from now on (which I actually think is more then enough really). For the money I've spent, I don't really have much to show for it, haha! But I wonder.. Did I spend more then average on the hobby until now? (I suspect I did).

Edited by RegisteredUser

That depends what you defy as 'spent' because if I buy a model for say £500, then sell it for £500, then spend that £500, does that mean £500 total or £1,500 total?

If the above is classed as £1,500, then I've spent £30,000+ 

If not, then probably around £8-10,000.

This isn't a lot compared to some though, but it's a hell of a lot compared to others.

I've no problem posting it really, but I doubt many others will.

It’s HIGHLY likely I’d ‘win’ the most spent on RC out of everyone on here!  I’m seriously addicted!  I have a serious problem!  An example being I’ve suddenly found myself with three Baja’s again, god only knows why? :( 

Edited by Carpmart

I don't really spend that much as a refresh my fleet as I go i.e if I want a new one I will generally sell an old one to put towards it. With family and kids budgets are always tight. If I spent 1k a year I'd be divorced lol bit of your circumstances allow it and all bills are paid then why not.

at one point i had around 40 rc cars 50+ rc planes over 100 lipos.  but i have also sold a lot of things then spent the money on more RC items  so it is impossible to say how much total.

No idea! Couldn't even hazard a guess.

Although, when I was racing in competition, circa 2003-2004, my Losi XXX-S Touring Car, as well as all the equipment, was probably around £2000... I still haven't spent that buying a real car!

I did to much on impulse, like the DBXL conversion that cost north of 1k in the end. Its barely been used so learned lesson there. If I now get tempted with something, I sit on it for a week. 

• 2 months later...

This is a cheap hobby for me, mainly because I like to buy used rigs and mod them to make them my own. Not Gucci mods mind...more ghetto, well some of them are, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

Think I've spent less than a grand in total since I got back into the hobby a few years back. 

Wish I could say the same for my vintage watch collection, but then at least they've gone up 100% or more over the last 8-10 years.