• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

54 minutes ago, Guns said:

1600xl motor? Hmmmm mistake maybe?

The 1600xl would be.. The v1 motor? Wasn't it supposed to have a 1275kv motor?

I'd say it's a typo. Like the "Stabilitu" right underneath. :D

Edited by m4inbrain

9 hours ago, sean-vrs said:

That's the price I thought and said it would be, it's the same as all the traxxas cars we pay in sterling what the yanks pay in dollars, for some reason they had people's pants down on the 8s kit

Maybe Modelsport are luering you in with a false sense of hope then whack the price up when it lands in March :lol:

Maybe Traxxas could have finally realsed that asking £1000+ for a plastic car without batteries would be silly

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sean-vrs said:

That's the price I thought and said it would be, it's the same as all the traxxas cars we pay in sterling what the yanks pay in dollars, for some reason they had people's pants down on the 8s kit

The Power Up didnt follow that hence why I expected £1000+

VXL-8S is toast

Took it out today, was running on 6S and it went into 50% power mode, V red light was on. Switched out batteries and it was fine again. Same thing, 6S, 5 min run and it just stopped. Now when I try to turn it on the green light blinks for a second and then nothing. Though while plugged in the ESC is making a humming noise but it's not coming from the fan, this is with the power off and just plugged into the 6S traxxas batteries. I'm disappointed, can't call support till Monday. Put the old ESC in and it works fine still.

boom boom boom! Another one bites the dust!

26 minutes ago, Ripoffbritain said:

VXL-8S is toast

Took it out today, was running on 6S and it went into 50% power mode, V red light was on. Switched out batteries and it was fine again. Same thing, 6S, 5 min run and it just stopped. Now when I try to turn it on the green light blinks for a second and then nothing. Though while plugged in the ESC is making a humming noise but it's not coming from the fan, this is with the power off and just plugged into the 6S traxxas batteries. I'm disappointed, can't call support till Monday. Put the old ESC in and it works fine still.

boom boom boom! Another one bites the dust!

lol I didn't even know you got the 8s kit handy you kept the old esc but boy your losing that £200 deposit by doing so and for that you could have bought the Max5 

The worst part is that this is advertised as 8s, which is weird considering it only takes 6s to pretty much fry it.

I start to wonder if that is a manufacturing error somewhere, i can't imagine that a big company knowingly would throw out 8s ESCs that can't handle 6s even. 

I don't understand why Traxxas don't just use a rebranded Castle ESC like in other models? I know the XL2 or XLX ain't the most reliable ESC's about, but they will be loads better than the crap Traxxas come up with by themselves......

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

I don't understand why Traxxas don't just use a rebranded Castle ESC like in other models? I know the XL2 or XLX ain't the most reliable ESC's about, but they will be loads better than the crap Traxxas come up with by themselves......

Very true 

So now the price has been released and it's not the estimated £1000 you thinking of getting one agian ? 

Think of the savings Traxxas make: most companies test a product before releasing it atleast for a few months or hours of use.

Traxxas release the product, charge people a shed load and use them as guinea pigs for testing aside from the moral view pretty good business model if you can get away with it and it seems they can. As a bonus if you are outside US and have a warranty problem they don't have to deal with it

Edited by sunny
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, .AJ. said:

Because profits. But so long as people buy traxxas they'll continue being bad.

traxxas has also managed to release a truck no one else can compete against... old Skool savage stretched xl.... meh.... cen reeper again a stretched 1/8 scale with 1/8 scale weight and electronics... meh...

Everyone either wants it or wants to hate it ( coz they want it but don't want to spend out on it) 

:asleep:

( not saying those 2 are no good by the way... just they are nothing new )

another reason why they are getting away with it. 

Edited by Ocdcbr

Agree. It's a shame none have chosen to bring out something properly new and exciting. 

Well arrma has I guess...with its erevo style suspension offerings. But nothing big. 

3 hours ago, mond said:

No one else has chosen to compete. There's plenty who can but haven't bothered for whatever reason.  The gap between 8th and 5th is odd and few cars do well in that segment.

Not saying this IS the case, but maybe no one has chosen to compete because they cant.... Wether you like them or not, Traxxas are very successful financially, theyre obviously doing something right.....

21 minutes ago, Guns said:

Not saying this IS the case, but maybe no one has chosen to compete because they cant.... Wether you like them or not, Traxxas are very successful financially, theyre obviously doing something right.....

Erm.. No. 

And you explained to me via PM why that is. They don't "do something right". They have a big, and very (too) forgiving "fan base", for the lack of a better word. Not because they build amazing RCs. Because they don't. Yeah, the X-Maxx looks amazing, and again, i certainly want one, but that's against better judgement. Meaning, i want one despite it being, well.. "sub par". 

"They can't" is a bold statement though. A, there's another big brand who makes an even bigger MT (not brushless, granted), and B, well. Lets be honest. If i'd be a RC manufacturer, and looked at how bad the X-Maxx did.. Why would i? It's desirable because of its size, but hated for almost comical electronic problems, sentiment to using own brand ESCs rather than Castles or simiilar - which would add $200 at least to the price tag. 

Let's be honest. The X-Maxx, regardless of how interested i am in it, or how much you love yours, is a very niche vehicle. There's a reason why there's not many 1/7 around, in general: because they're not 1/5, and not 1/8. Meaning you'd need to use either A: a 1/8th setup in a stretched chassis, or try to fit an expensive 1/5 setup in a (in relation) tiny chassis. Or, you put in effort, research and development to develop an actual, reliable 1/7th drive train + mechanics, for a niche market that very few visit anyway.

Short answer: nobody is doing it because there's no money in it. 

Well arrma has I guess...with its erevo style suspension offerings. But nothing big.

Well the remotely locking diffs i guess. Then again, that's just one more thing that potentially will ruin your day once you're out and about with your RC. 

edit: to be clear, i'm not bashing either the X-Maxx nor Traxxas, each to his own. But arguing that other (also big) RC brands simply "can't do it" is just too bold to be left alone. Traxxas couldn't do it either, it's just that the owners are okay with it. More or less.

Edited by m4inbrain

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

Erm.. No. 

And you explained to me via PM why that is. They don't "do something right". They have a big, and very (too) forgiving "fan base", for the lack of a better word. Not because they build amazing RCs. Because they don't. Yeah, the X-Maxx looks amazing, and again, i certainly want one, but that's against better judgement. Meaning, i want one despite it being, well.. "sub par". 

"They can't" is a bold statement though. A, there's another big brand who makes an even bigger MT (not brushless, granted), and B, well. Lets be honest. If i'd be a RC manufacturer, and looked at how bad the X-Maxx did.. Why would i? It's desirable because of its size, but hated for almost comical electronic problems, sentiment to using own brand ESCs rather than Castles or simiilar - which would add $200 at least to the price tag. 

Let's be honest. The X-Maxx, regardless of how interested i am in it, or how much you love yours, is a very niche vehicle. There's a reason why there's not many 1/7 around, in general: because they're not 1/5, and not 1/8. Meaning you'd need to use either A: a 1/8th setup in a stretched chassis, or try to fit an expensive 1/5 setup in a (in relation) tiny chassis. Or, you put in effort, research and development to develop an actual, reliable 1/7th drive train + mechanics, for a niche market that very few visit anyway.

Short answer: nobody is doing it because there's no money in it. 

Well the remotely locking diffs i guess. Then again, that's just one more thing that potentially will ruin your day once you're out and about with your RC. 

edit: to be clear, i'm not bashing either the X-Maxx nor Traxxas, each to his own. But arguing that other (also big) RC brands simply "can't do it" is just too bold to be left alone. Traxxas couldn't do it either, it's just that the owners are okay with it. More or less.

I didnt say they cant, i was merely playing devils advocate. To me its like Apple, people slate them and genuinely hate them. The majority of the people hating them dont/never have owned the brand, but hey. Ill continue to enjoy my mac/iphone/ipad/watch, same as ill continue to enjoy my Xmaxx/Bigfoot/Slash/Jato, and each of the companies will enjoy their massive financial success.

Unfortunately most RC companies are privately owned so their financials arent publically avaliable, but id be willing to wager a considerable amount of money that regardless of its faults, the Xmaxx is a massive financial success.if I was a shareholder, Id certainly prefer my investment in Traxxas over the competition...

Edited by Guns

I think the issue is the brushless technology/battery technology isnt avaliable (at a cheap enough price for an rtr) to make a proper large scale. Its clear the Xmaxx needs some more metal, but thats heavy, so it needs to be substituted by plastic, to keep the weight down so they can use a readily avaliable to get away witha 1/8th scale electrics. As a result its a far from perfect compromise. Buy a compromise id rather exist with a few faults, than not exist at all.

We only have to look at the Emaxx. In the early 2000s we spent thousands and thousands on making brushless UE Supermaxxes. This technology was avaliable, but very expensive, hence not avaliable in an off the shelf rtr. Years later, you can get a 6s ready brushless 1/8th RTR for the same price as the ESC we were using back then.... 

Edited by Guns
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Any of the companies that currently make 5th scales could. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mond said:

Any of the companies that currently make 5th scales could. 

So why dont they?? You say no money, but there obviously is as Traxxas have just bought outa v2. IMO its because wether its the best or not, people would buy the Xmaxx over a Losi 1/6th electric monster truck. Lets look at the Slash 4x4. There are far better options out there, for a similar if not cheaper price. Worldwide, i bet the Slash 4x4 outsells all the others, regardless of it been inferior. Traxxas just seem to understand the marketing/advertising better, and advertise to a wider audience than the niche that Losi for example seem to go for. 

Ill use the Apple idea again. I bet you theres a phone out there thats better than my iPhone 7 plus in everyway. Im sure theres a cheaper android alternative out there, with a much better spec etc. The iPhone is still gonna outsell it.

its all just my opinion, and financial information appears to be difficuly to find as they are all privately owned/not on the stock exchange. I could be wrong, but I bet you im not.../

Edited by Guns