• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone else go shooting ?

epons300

I've had lots of various air guns over the years. Really liked the Theoben Rapids I had, MFR was problay my favourite. Very easy to get big numbers. Ended up going back to a 177 s200. Regulated, quick fill, pressure gauge, light weight cylinder,Weihrauch silencer, rowan adjustable trigger. Very accurate and lightweight. 

Strictly target shooting for me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I didnt realise there was a shooting thread on here.

Applied for my FAC last monday, reckon it'll be 3 months or so though..... 😞

Normally shoot .22 rimfire at the club I go to but they have some larger calibre rifles as well, I am aiming to get a Ruger 77 chambered in .44 Magnum which is unusual for a rifle as thats a pistol cartridge, but makes it cheaper to shoot and more friendlly for smaller ranges that have steel backplates.

I am after a K98 also.

• Like 1

After looking into the whole process of owning and using airguns in Scotland for target use, I'm a bit confused.

I have no criminal record at all but I have been to the doctors for anxiety in the past.

It seems your criminal/medical records are looked at with regards to obtaining an airgun license (anything over 1 joule) up here.

There is also a fee of £75 that is not refundable if you are refused ! 

To do some 10m target shooting in the garden it seems like so many hoops to jump through.

Is it worth it? 

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

After looking into the whole process of owning and using airguns in Scotland for target use, I'm a bit confused.

I have no criminal record at all but I have been to the doctors for anxiety in the past.

It seems your criminal/medical records are looked at with regards to obtaining an airgun license (anything over 1 joule) up here.

There is also a fee of £75 that is not refundable if you are refused ! 

To do some 10m target shooting in the garden it seems like so many hoops to jump through.

Is it worth it? 

What do you guys think?

Hi Captain Howdy,

I didn't realise that you were north 'O' the border. Yes it is my understanding that for an airgun in Scotland there are a lot of hoops to jump through, although I would hazard a guess that it doesn't stop the odd knob from shooting indiscriminately.

I live at the other end of the country in Devon where no such licensing exists (as yet!). But in answer to your question as to whether it is worth it in the long run I would most definitely say it is. As I understand it, the granting of a certificate to allow you to own an airgun requires the installation of security measures for storage of an airgun which would need to be inspected by the local firearms officer. So far as the medical condition is concerned it may be far enough in your past that in the GP's opinion you are no in the clear.

@KC59

I agree mate, it doesn't stop the idiots, and we have a lot of them up here.

We had a spate of airgun shootings here in the 90's, children getting shot, that seems to have created the climate/laws up here.

Thanks a lot for your opinion mate /really appreciate that !

• 1 month later...

A random video popped up on youtube, worlds most powerful air rifle 72 cal Zeus, had to watch it now im getting hit with shooting vids on YT and makes me want another nice rifle, but 2 problems.....no place to use one and the bigger problem , my wife will not tolerate a gun of any kind in the house, so based on these 2 points it wont happen

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Derka said:

Guys, where is a good place to learn about these types of rifles or pistols?

My wife and I are quite interested in shooting some targets as we have a large garden that would be good I think.

Not sure where to start 🤞

Next weekend at the NEC....................................................https://shootingshow.co.uk/

Yep just got mine, ran out in Oct but they kept sending me one month extensions lol. Did'nt even get a security check they just sent my ticket through the post.

And West Midds police arnt doing any new tickets yet just renewals 

On 13/02/2022 at 12:21, Derka said:

Guys, where is a good place to learn about these types of rifles or pistols?

My wife and I are quite interested in shooting some targets as we have a large garden that would be good I think.

Not sure where to start 🤞

Join an airgun forum for starters.
I am a member of two which are both very active places with lots of members willing to share their knowledge and help newcomers. 
Airgun forum (my preferred option): https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php
Airgun BBS: https://www.airgunbbs.com/

You will want to have a good think about how much you want to invest for starters but also what type of guns you'd like to use.
For example spring powered guns are great as they're easy to use and predominantly a lot cheaper to buy then other power source guns like PCP (pre charged pneumatics) for example but then you will have to cock them for each shot (either by pulling the barrel down/break barrel or using a lever/side lever/underlever) which if you are a older, injured or say a sufferer of some problem like arthritis or similar it might not be ideal. They also recoil a bit which can take some getting used to. 

Co2 guns can offer a good compromise between a spring powered guns price point and PCP that will also offer some of the benefits of a PCP as they're almost recoiless, can offer multi shot capabilities & easy to use for long periods. You will of course have to buy Co2 cartridges for those but they're not overly expensive.  

You'll also need to think about where you're shooting. If it's in your back garden then you need to make sure you have an appropriate backstop so that there is never a chance of pellets ricocheting or leaving the boundary of your garden endangering others. It's fine to use pellet traps but you also need to think about what happens if you miss the target as safety is paramount with shooting. 
Lot's of easy things you can do/make yourself though to make sure it's safe.
An example: https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/beefing-up-back-stops.345289/

Personally if you haven't done much shooting the safest and best place to learn I think is at a club but it is not always possible if there isn't one in your area.
I think you should try a rifle first rather than a pistol as imho it can be harder to shoot consistently with a pistol than a rifle and the last thing you want is to get disheartened with shooting at the start as it's supposed to be fun. With that in mind plinking is always the most enjoyable thing to do as a beginner or just for fun as it's a lot less pressured to hitting an exact spot like target shooting can be.  Great fun punching holes in old tin cans or shooting at XXXX strong mints watching them explode into dust. 

One more thing you might find a little confusing is choosing a calibre of airgun; .177, .20, .22, .25 (.177 & .22 most common).
People will argue that .177 is more accurate than .22 but then that's not necessarily true it just has a flatter trajectory and means you will need to adjust your aim/point of impact less than a heavier pellet with a larger trajectory.
I've had all 4 of the main airgun calibres over the decades and tbh do not favour one over another but do favour one over another depending on what I am doing with the airgun. 

Providing the smaller size of .177 doesn't cause you issues with loading (some people find them too fiddly especially when trying to load into small loading holes) then that's what I'd go for. If you have hands like shovels though or just want to punch bigger holes in tin cans when plinking then I'd go .22.

Hope that helps some ~ it's hard trying to condense information down and not waffle on too much. :lol: 
I could go on about using scopes or open sights, how to zero a gun etc etc but you can always ask on here if you need more input. :good:

Edited by GMballistic
spelling
  • Thanks 3

I have only really used airguns (apart from the occasional clay pigeon shoot) but I can vouch that trying  to hit a target with a pistol might put you off for life! Thats a great write up there GM chock full of bloody good advice 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AJP said:

Is anyone from this forum a member of any South West shooting clubs?  

It's always something I have been interested in, just never had anyone to go with 😒🤣

Crackshot is a air gun shop and range in Heathfield ind. estate, near Newton Abbot.  Ordered mine from them and very helpful and friendly. Only 10mins away from me so very handy. About £25 hr for the range, rifle and pellets if I remember correctly. Also got a bb range and a clay sim. 
BE WARNED……. lots of shiny shiny in there, you can hear your wallet weep!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Join an airgun forum for starters.
I am a member of two which are both very active places with lots of members willing to share their knowledge and help newcomers. 
Airgun forum (my preferred option): https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php
Airgun BBS: https://www.airgunbbs.com/

You will want to have a good think about how much you want to invest for starters but also what type of guns you'd like to use.
For example spring powered guns are great as they're easy to use and predominantly a lot cheaper to buy then other power source guns like PCP (pre charged pneumatics) for example but then you will have to cock them for each shot (either by pulling the barrel down/break barrel or using a lever/side lever/underlever) which if you are a older, injured or say a sufferer of some problem like arthritis or similar it might not be ideal. They also recoil a bit which can take some getting used to. 

Co2 guns can offer a good compromise between a spring powered guns price point and PCP that will also offer some of the benefits of a PCP as they're almost recoiless, can offer multi shot capabilities & easy to use for long periods. You will of course have to buy Co2 cartridges for those but they're not overly expensive.  

You'll also need to think about where you're shooting. If it's in your back garden then you need to make sure you have an appropriate backstop so that there is never a chance of pellets ricocheting or leaving the boundary of your garden endangering others. It's fine to use pellet traps but you also need to think about what happens if you miss the target as safety is paramount with shooting. 
Lot's of easy things you can do/make yourself though to make sure it's safe.
An example: https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/beefing-up-back-stops.345289/

Personally if you haven't done much shooting the safest and best place to learn I think is at a club but it is not always possible if there isn't one in your area.
I think you should try a rifle first rather than a pistol as imho it can be harder to shoot consistently with a pistol than a rifle and the last thing you want is to get disheartened with shooting at the start as it's supposed to be fun. With that in mind plinking is always the most enjoyable thing to do as a beginner or just for fun as it's a lot less pressured to hitting an exact spot like target shooting can be.  Great fun punching holes in old tin cans or shooting at XXXX strong mints watching them explode into dust. 

One more thing you might find a little confusing is choosing a calibre of airgun; .177, .20, .22, .25 (.177 & .22 most common).
People will argue that .177 is more accurate than .22 but then that's not necessarily true it just has a flatter trajectory and means you will need to adjust your aim/point of impact less than a heavier pellet with a larger trajectory.
I've had all 4 of the main airgun calibres over the decades and tbh do not favour one over another but do favour one over another depending on what I am doing with the airgun. 

Providing the smaller size of .177 doesn't cause you issues with loading (some people find them too fiddly especially when trying to load into small loading holes) then that's what I'd go for. If you have hands like shovels though or just want to punch bigger holes in tin cans when plinking then I'd go .22.

Hope that helps some ~ it's hard trying to condense information down and not waffle on too much. :lol: 
I could go on about using scopes or open sights, how to zero a gun etc etc but you can always ask on here if you need more input. :good:

Thank you for that comprehensive response! So much information to digest and look into. 

I enjoy shooting all types of guns so for me the main pull towards one or the other gun/club will be the supporting community. 

Whilst I'm getting to grips with this new Nitro hobby I'll have a look at the Airgun forum 👍🏻

• Like 1