• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

show us your scaler!

• 3 months later...

Having had an in-depth conversation with OHO, Noj and John, regarding my wee Bronco scaler... I was advised to go for taller, narrower boots, as the truck was getting hung-up on terrain... a lot! :banghead:

90mm tyres removed, 100mm replacing them. OHO mentioned that having soft inserts also help (trailing, not rock crawling), because you still get a lot of bite, but the tyre doesn't squash down, lowering clearance. These cheapy Chinese wheels and tyres actually came with inserts, despite not stating that on the advert. Still nice and pliable.

Can't believe the size difference! Looks waaay more than 10mm (11.1%)!

89sZdLR.jpg?1

LgZC6RX.jpg

BEFORE on left, AFTER on right. Apologies, the comparison pictures don't match! :whistling:

4TqOT2E.jpg

Tb1R4kw.jpg

asqInFd.jpg

Had to trim the arches a little, but not by much.

VAFqhcc.jpg

Looking forward to using it again, now! ^_^ Cheers, fellas!

• Like 2

Looks better mate.

one little thing that would concern me is the thickness of the spokes, depending on how hard you push it of course :good:

are the tyres glued? If they can be boiled off or removed, I have a set of 1.9" dingo kit wheels sat here if required.

my lad lad broke a mst wheel last Friday drifting :crybaby:

Have to agree with Gaz, I don't ever recommend plastic wheels myself, they are very snap happy, in fact I once rolled a crawler down a hill and only had 1 wheel left at the bottom! :lol: but for what you do in your videos they should hold up okay, just keep in mind you may need something a bit more solid soon :)

Definitely looks like it will perform better and a much better arch gap now as well... Never been keen on overly jacked up rigs.

If you have more problems with the tyres rubbing, just limit the shock travel with a small spacer on the shock shaft, folk use fuel tube, but it does eventually split, so I tend to use alloy tube and just cut to length :good:

• Like 1

Hi all,

My scalers aren't as scale like as a lot of others in here, but they're  a work in progress just now.

This is a picture from years ago of my AX10 with an X-Trail chassis, alloy 4 links, weighted 2.2's on RC4WD wheels and Flat Irons. The shell was air brushed as well. I was super lucky and won it in a raffle from another RC model site a long time ago. It's went a few changes since then and hopefully a few more coming up.
Lack of recent pics as it's kinda inbits a little and it's not been ran in about 6 years.

LRM_EXPORT_20170108_044106_zps3z6gcevx.j

Just now i'm mainly running my older style orignal SCX10 Honcho. I was lucky enough to get a Honcho that had the AE-2 ESC, but it had the awful driveshafts and output shafts on the axels and gearbox.

For most trailing / crawling i use a Tamiya 27t dirt tuned motor with a 15t pinion and it gives good scale wheel speed both low down and top end. Normally i'll use my heavily weighted 1.9 wheels & tyres but i think i need to rethink how heavy i made them. My fronts are about 300g each!

LRM_EXPORT_20161127_150306_zpsusiypmsy.j

Lately it's not been "as scale" as much. It's more like a scale basher. I've been running it on the local beach which is mostly hard packed sand with some rough bits but mostly flat. Because of the lack of hills and stuff i've been running 2.2's and a 12t 550 motor with 20t pinion to make it a bit more exciting. 
Doesn't take long to switch it back to a more sensible trail rig.

LRM_EXPORT_20161210_215015_zpsdb0igwyj.j

fd_zpsbrb7m5nw.jpg

DSC04170_zps2ujo8d6t.jpg

Edited by Hardcore
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Hardcore said:

Hi all,

My scalers aren't as scale like as a lot of others in here, but they're  a work in progress just now.

This is a picture from years ago of my AX10 with an X-Trail chassis, alloy 4 links, weighted 2.2's on RC4WD wheels and Flat Irons. The shell was air brushed as well. I was super lucky and won it in a raffle from another RC model site a long time ago. It's went a few changes since then and hopefully a few more coming up.
Lack of recent pics as it's kinda inbits a little and it's not been ran in about 6 years.

LRM_EXPORT_20170108_044106_zps3z6gcevx.j

Just now i'm mainly running my older style orignal SCX10 Honcho. I was lucky enough to get a Honcho that had the AE-2 ESC, but it had the awful driveshafts and output shafts on the axels and gearbox.

For most trailing / crawling i use a Tamiya 27t dirt tuned motor with a 15t pinion and it gives good scale wheel speed both low down and top end. Normally i'll use my heavily weighted 1.9 wheels & tyres but i think i need to rethink how heavy i made them. My fronts are about 300g each!

LRM_EXPORT_20161127_150306_zpsusiypmsy.j

Lately it's not been "as scale" as much. It's more like a scale basher. I've been running it on the local beach which is mostly hard packed sand with some rough bits but mostly flat. Because of the lack of hills and stuff i've been running 2.2's and a 12t 550 motor with 20t pinion to make it a bit more exciting. 
Doesn't take long to switch it back to a more sensible trail rig.

LRM_EXPORT_20161210_215015_zpsdb0igwyj.j

fd_zpsbrb7m5nw.jpg

DSC04170_zps2ujo8d6t.jpg

Must admit, I do like to jump my SCX10 too! :lol:

Hardly a scaler but thought I'd post a picture or two anyway, many of you have seen it before.

DSC04310-2_zps04puschg.jpg

DSC_0262-20_zpsv5vzh9ci.jpg

DSC_0291-20_zpsliiipe3h.jpg

DSC03595-2_zpswpywuz7g.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Heres my kids truck. Just starting one for her sister now. We've had this one for 4.5yrs now I think. Its been brilliant. But almost due a body overhaul. I like the idea of an scx10.3 jeep body.

aBulTZb.jpg

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...