• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

Decided to rebuild the old FTX Fury 2.0...i have fitted the Carisma Ford F-150 shell but had to use much smaller tyres to clear the arches this really reduced ground clearance, also i fitted the body with magnet mounts and TBH they just did not work.  I have gone back to my original plan with this, its a low cost pretty decent rig and it will get the rough treatment, water, tumbles all that stuff

rebuilt fury 2.0.JPG

• Like 3

Took the boat out, almost didnt come back, the little nuckle on the end of the prop shaft is set with epoxy, that is brittle and fails.
Tried to make a coupler out of brass, but ended up just using the end of an old servo horn, cut into the shape of the motor coupler.
20231105_152053.jpg?ex=655a3967&is=6547c

Overall first time working on a boat, not easy but not too difficult it couldnt be fixed 🙂 Rewater proofed with grease, rather than using silicon. Water tight...

20231105_152059.jpg?ex=655a3967&is=6547c 20231105_154123.jpg?ex=655a3967&is=6547c

FTX Vortex if any one else had similar issues.

I finally got round to putting a couple of coats of clear lacquer on the Tamiya Blitzer Beetle not great but its better with a bit of shine to paintwork , this was a bit of an off roader but its now on road only as its pretty quick and handles fairly well for what it is

Blitzer beetle.JPG

• Like 3

The Hyper 7 arrived with a dodgy servo, so I  temporarily fitted a cheapo one from my old Maverick Strada for steering duties. Took it out for it's first run today.  It still feels slow compared to my old 4s bashers, but considering I've never really been into nitro, I'm quite happy with how I've got it running 🙂

• Like 3

20 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Cant beat the sound and smell of a nitro, once you get the tuning dialled in it will wake it up a lot

If I go any leaner on the HSN it bogs down at full throttle. Does that mean it's as fast as it's ever going to be on this engine? Still plenty of smoke at full throttle,  so I assume it isn't TOO lean

32 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

If I go any leaner on the HSN it bogs down at full throttle. Does that mean it's as fast as it's ever going to be on this engine? Still plenty of smoke at full throttle,  so I assume it isn't TOO lean

If it hesitates when revs get to peak then getting too lean. How do the revs behave when come off gas after full speed run? Smoke isnt a reliable guide as different brand fuels use different ingredients, which will smoke more or less. Sound and performance is more reliable as well as temp gun, 200-250F is general good operating temp. Make sure fuel is flowing freely. Blow down pressure line and there shouldnt be significant resistance as fuel is pushed through tank to carb.

48 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Does that mean it's as fast as it's ever going to be on this engine?

What gearing, 46/13? Is it a 21 or 28 engine? Try a larger clutch bell if you want more top speed, Nitro hasnt got the low down torque but top speed isnt far off typical brushless combo that will run all day without overheating.

23 hours ago, locky said:

What gearing, 46/13? Is it a 21 or 28 engine? Try a larger clutch bell if you want more top speed, Nitro hasnt got the low down torque but top speed isnt far off typical brushless combo that will run all day without overheating.

I'm not sure on the gearing. Same on the engine, I've had it out but can't find any markings other than a couple of Hot Bodies stickers. I've noticed the revs "hang" when releasing the throttle from full speed.

I pulled the centre diff out last night and found it was bone dry. No trace of oil whatsoever. It's the upgraded spider diff though, which is nice. I've filled it with 10k now, and will do the front and rear before the next run. 

With the weather taking a turn for the worst a stock take was needed -

This list doesn't include parts that are in tools boxes, I think I've got enough spares to keep me going for a while. When tamiya stop selling these parts I'll be sitting on a gold mine!

Screenshot_20231203_132105_Keep Notes.jpg

• Haha 1

Repaired the ftx/axial buggy. The pin in one of the front driveshaft joints came out, jamming the hub, thePXL_20230610_135146590.thumb.jpg.8973ef28d1f2c404986d45c2627ba84a.jpg shock transferred back to the gearbox and stripped internal gears and the spur gear, also bending the driveshaft and wrecking the hub. My outback ranger 2 has now become a donor vehicle, with all required parts swapped across 

• Like 2

On 07/12/2023 at 20:05, Kpowell911 said:

Not sure if I missed them on the decal sheet or if you do them yourself?

I saw people using quite a few different methods for putting body lines on when I was looking at what to do with the yellow Delta TT-01 and the simplest looked to be using some kyosho micron tape to mark them out. Probably not all that durable for a runner but if it is mostly going to sit and look pretty it should hold up fine. I suspect there may be some art in picking the best width, and then in actually applying it without it breaking, but I guessed that the thinner stuff would likely look more realistic.

Kyosho Micron Tape - (Black) 0.7mm x 8m 1860 (modelsport.co.uk)

• Like 2

On 31/10/2023 at 11:25, tanveer said:

After becoming really bored of rc in general and almost giving up, this Hobao hyper ST has given me the bug again, think I’m sticking with just nitro now😂

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Nitro is the way forward man! I'm mainly Nitro too! Wish I never sold my Hyper ST though!