• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Aren’t diffs meant to have oil in them?

TommyC

Stripped my new quantum XT flux down after putting 5-6 packs through it and found the diffs were packed with grease and really stiff. Is this normal out of the box?

also, how do you pull bearings off the diff? Is there a puller small enough for this rc stuff?

IMG_2085.jpeg

Oil is used for tuning diffs. You use various thickness' totunie the diff to make it tighter or looser depending on your driving surface/driving style. Not all diffs are oil tuneable. Usually oil filled tunable diffs have gaskets to keep the thinner oils in. Its a tuning option, not a necessity and for most applications thick grease is used and is fine. Do your diffs have gaskets? I use GT85 and kitchen roll to clean out the grease.

Regarding the bearings. you may need to remove the outdrives before you can remove the bearings. Check your manual.

Posted (edited)

Ah ok. I was worried water had got in or something to make this mess! 

I’ve stripped one diff down and cleaned out with carb cleaner and towel. There are o-rings on the drive cups and a rubber seal on the ‘lid’ so I’ve bought some 5000 diff oil to try. Only thing is one of the bearings has already seized so I’ m now waiting on some abec5 bearings for the whole rig. The old ones are jammed on and I don’t want to break the plastic housing getting them off.

Edited by TommyC

Looking at the lack of gasket I'd say these aren't oil diffs so I'd either look at the diff service kit for the car and see if it has one or replace the grease and send it

As for a bearing puller you just pop them out with a suitably size screwdriver or if you've got clearance a bearing seating tool but with tolerances been looser than other applications they are a good push fit so you can get away with some inventive engineering 

Edited by Fred barlow
Spelling error

I’m pretty sure it can take oil. I’ve seen numerous YouTube videos of others doing it with the quantum range diffs. Here’s a pick of the casing and seals cleaned up. 

IMG_2095.jpeg

I think i put fastrax 5.000 oil in, ideally you want a thicker oil in the centre and front and a thinner in the rear for handling, but you can put the same in all the diffs, im sure thats what i did as i dont do track work with my cars.

i just had a look on my thread and i never said what oil i used 

Edited by wolfie1

On 12/03/2024 at 21:23, TommyC said:

Ah ok. I was worried water had got in or something to make this mess! 

I’ve stripped one diff down and cleaned out with carb cleaner and towel. There are o-rings on the drive cups and a rubber seal on the ‘lid’ so I’ve bought some 5000 diff oil to try. Only thing is one of the bearings has already seized so I’ m now waiting on some abec5 bearings for the whole rig. The old ones are jammed on and I don’t want to break the plastic housing getting them off.

i use push bike grease in all my 10 scale models and havent had a problem yet, i only use diff oil in 8 scales ones 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got oil in them now. Currently 10k front 5k rear. Made some paper gaskets as the rubber one is crap.IMG_2128.thumb.jpeg.64372de1d035355fea16e8017e259b18.jpeg

• Like 1