• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Air Fryers…. Worth the hype?

Kpowell911

As above really? My Dad has gave my girlfriend and I a voucher for Argos to buy stuff for our home, amd we’re tempted by an air fryer. Currently looking at this:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8023333?clickSR=slp:term:af300uk:1:1:1

We eat lots of chicken, and chips. So healthier options would be better, as now Im the wrong side of 30, them calories hit harder 😩

• Sad 1

we recently got an airfrier and find it pretty good 

it isnt a patch on 1 your looking at tho and still learning to use it 

weve used it for chips , chicken , battered fish and other day there i used it for bacon and cheese wraps /other pastry 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

As above really? My Dad has gave my girlfriend and I a voucher for Argos to buy stuff for our home, amd we’re tempted by an air fryer. Currently looking at this:

We eat lots of chicken, and chips. So healthier options would be better, as now Im the wrong side of 30, them calories hit harder 😩

Taste is ok but   Don't know if newer ones are better but the time it takes is very slow.

Edited by turok007
  • Like 1

I love mine (now). I have the two-compartment Ninja. 
Full disclosure, we used it once at the beginning (didn’t like it) and then it sat on the counter top for about 6 months without use while we carried on frying, BUT we went back to it randomly and now use it for everything that needs frying or baking (if it fits). 

It is different, but you get used to it. Mine also has a ‘reheat’, ‘bake’ and other cooking functions beyond air fry so it’s pretty cool. 
It does take up a lot of space though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Sorry I should have checked the link before posting! I have this one. I like the size of the compartments - you can get plenty of food in both. Having two cooking zones is really handy (cooking chips in one and chicken in the other).

Shout if you need to know anything else about this particular model!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, H1q said:

It is different, but you get used to it.

Exactly that. The first 3 meals taste even worse until the fryer is broken in  :lol: 

I have an old Salter one which is used often. To be fair it’s paid for itself now. They are great machines but mines a single. Definitely go for the double compartment one it would make all the difference :good: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think there’s probably too much hype around them. Bit like the 80s when microwaves were the thing. Great at certain things and can save money and time but not the kitchen saviour that some outlets make them out to be.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have been using one for a while now but as already been said, it was a pain to clean, so we upgraded to the af400uk (purely because there is five of us) and its fantastic, again we do chips and chicken and its really tasty! I would recommend some fancy “rubs” for your meat and even get fancy coatings for chips/wedges.

we bought a little pork joint last week, i plan to do some kind of seasoning on that and give that a go, with some nicely seasoned wedges and corn on the cob.

also this one has a removable tray in the bottom making it easy to clean.

deffo recommend a ninja :good:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nick said:

@Kpowell911 did you get one in the end? I'm still unconvinced and looking at traditional deep fryers (although they have a lot of fancy features now!). I'm more for the taste than the health part. :lol:

Yea, gotta be honest its epic. We use it everyday just wish we bought a 2 compartment one. Will probably upgrade soon!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

So far I have put battered fish, nuggets, chips and faggots. If it fits then we use the air fryer.

For us northern folk: faggots are something people down south eat!

Not as a good a parmo that's for sure! :lol:

Has anyone had a deep fat fryer though, other than the obvious health benefits, are they a better alternative? Or just shouldn't be compared?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

What sort of things do you cook?

We started doing fancy stuff, following recipes and honestly it was brilliant. Echo whaat Gaz said, we just buy loadsa rubs/marinades and experiment. Chips/potatoes respomd really well to. As we speak Im currently doing this

https://omnivorescookbook.com/air-fryer-salt-and-pepper-chicken/

However. We usually just use it as our oven. Heats up instantly and is quicker than out electric oven. We pre heat for 3 minutes, throw whatever in and leave it. Even basics like frozen chips and say frozen birdseye chargrills etc are better and easier.

Washing up is still a pain though.

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1