• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Feeling the pinch?

Nick

How's everyone doing with the cost of living?

Starting to see the pinch now, driving to work with diesel prices at £1.90+/l around me, food seems more money across the board, simple things like frozen pizzas seem daft money to what they were a couple of years ago.

Fortunate to have disposable income to absorb most of it but already having to cut back on holiday plans next year. Our trip to Canada a couple of months ago was ludicrous in comparison to when I've been before. Not really looking forward to what next year brings, especially if energy bills spike as much as they say.

• Like 1

I've just brought my first house and when we spoke to our broker in April the rate was sub 2%, now it's just under 4%. That increase hurt a lot in terms of our monthly expenses. I'm fortunate that I've got a decent job and part move includes a new job which is a decent pay rise however the moving costs have eaten into a good chunk of that. Since we worked out our monthly out goings earlier this year they went up by a good 20-25%. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

im glad i have a petrol car which is bad enough to fill up but diesel is over 20p a litre more expensive :insane:

Petrol/fuel is always a hard pill to swallow I find as the cost in the UK just seems so OTT compared to other countries especially as we are fairly self sufficient with making our own petrol.
I believe most Diesel is imported so that could be part of why that's so much more expensive?.
Obviously crude oil being more expensive is part of it plus the war in Ukraine causing higher prices but I just feel we are over taxed in this country. 

• Like 1

I guess i have to agree with the above post, not so much tax but very greedy companies milking profits for all its worth along with a broken government , the firm i work for pay tax like a company should do and still have a large margin to pay all the workers a substantial bonus, from the floor sweeper to the director's

@m4inbrain this is an honest question what party would you choose to replace the Tories if we end up in general election (which the country should be having)

I've not that long returned from France (early September, when I was paying around £1.70-1.80 / litre here), where unleaded was approx 1.25 / litre GBP equivalent and diesel a few pence less than that. We worked it out that diesel was around 50% more in UK at that time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

@m4inbrain this is an honest question what party would you choose to replace the Tories if we end up in general election (which the country should be having)

Well.. Lets be clear, i'd vote anything but Tories. I probably would vote tactical, i don't have a preferred Party - i don't agree with Labour on everything either. What i will say is that i can't think of a single reasonably well known party that would do worse than we've got right now. You can put a flock of birds in charge and they'll do better than the mess that we're in right now. 

To answer (what i assume is) the real question, i wouldn't have voted for Corbyn either. I don't think he'd have done a worse job than BJ, Truss, Sunak and whoever else had a go - but i don't think it would've been necessarily better either. He's as delusional as BJ/Truss, just the other direction. Some would consider that great - i don't.

I'm not a huge fan of Starmer either, but i again will say that he's probably the best choice out there. The UK absolutely needs a "beige" PM, toning down the rhetoric etc. Boring isn't always bad, and after a few years of flamboyant but incredibly inefficient and toxic "personality-politicians", i'll take anyone really. Whoever promises to get rid of FPTP probably.

2 hours ago, bertberr said:

I've not that long returned from France (early September, when I was paying around £1.70-1.80 / litre here), where unleaded was approx 1.25 / litre GBP equivalent and diesel a few pence less than that. We worked it out that diesel was around 50% more in UK at that time.

They're currently at 1.89, which is reasonably close to parity. Especially considering the hidden cost of the fact that you have to "be in france" to get that price. 😄

edit: diesel was £1.87 here yesterday, should probably mention that. Don't know the price in other parts of the UK.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

And your point is? You mentioned European fuel prices, Sweden etc and I referenced my recent experience in France. Of course that’s of no significance if you live in the uk but that clearly wasn’t implied otherwise.  And what’s more, when I spoke to mum couple of days ago - she lives in Mayenne, e10/95ron was 1.62 euro at leclerc’s filling station there. Which is £1.41… so yeah not exactly parity…

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bertberr said:

And your point is? You mentioned European fuel prices, Sweden etc and I referenced my recent experience in France.

Except i didn't. Not once did i talk about "fuel prices". I very deliberately and specifically talked about diesel prices. And the one sentence where i didn't mention specifically diesel, i mentioned "£1.89" which clearly isn't the price of petrol (.. anymore). In September, btw, Diesel was 20 centimes more expensive than petrol on average in france - not cheaper. Hasn't been cheaper than petrol since end of July. The statistics are easily accessible. 

What's more is that you left out one very important bit of information there. In September, the french government paid a flat 30 centimes to every litre of petrol (and diesel!) you bought. That doesn't mean petrol is cheaper, it means that the government paid part of it. Feel free to do the math for today (i did, taking metropolitan leclerc as the yard stick, adding the current rebate of 12.5 centimes to it and then converting it to £ at todays market rate) - it's £1.60. Which isn't far from parity, again. I paid £1.63 beginning of the week for petrol. 

My point is, quite obviously, that prices in the UK aren't inflated by tax (well, they are, but it's not the reason for the scalping that we're seeing), but by oil companies profiteering. And the exact same thing happens in france, except there the government decided that instead of cutting 5p of fuel duty that nobody even noticed at the pump, they paid 30 cents on every litre (12.5 since Nov 1st). Their prices only look amazing if you leave out that, again, quite important bit of information. If you take that into account, your argument falls flat. 

Im self employed, Diesel  is probably my biggest expense. Ive done 64k miles since Jan 2020. Before the big price increase, I agreed with my contractors and extra £20 on my day rate, just because. Then the fuel prices increased, so that £20 a day has gone in the fuel tank, so Ive not saw it in my pocket, and cant exactly out my rate up again so soon, but I cant really moan. obviously I declare the work related fuel expenses. 

I live with my girlfriend. We have a mortgage on a 2 bed Terrace. We both work full time, and have no kids. The mortgage rate  is locked in till 2024. Ive always paid £150 a month direct debit for energy. We were £250 in credit, then got an email sqyimg it was going up to £156 (bare in mine were both out the house 50 hours a week ish) so that should be ok. Only other bill is internet, TV license, council tax and buildings/contents insurance. Im terrible with savings, my Mrs is much better and has her own savings. 

We were looking at a new car, nothing crazy something circa £35k, on finance, but weve knocked that on the head. Interest rates, car prices and uncertainty have knocked that on the head for now. We have 2 vans, a paid in cash car, and 3 motorbikes so we are ok. 

On a personal note. Biggest change for me. Holidays. I used to spend every penny possible on holidays. Id go to New York Comic Con, and either Vegas or an international F1 event every year since 2008. That was a massive chunk of my income. My last holiday was Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in November 2019. Weve just been in the UK since. Lots of city breaks  and camping trips. I think we will do a ‘cheap’ holiday next year, but think my ‘big’ holidays are over with the state of the economy. 

We (as a family) have scaled back X Mas (£100 each TOTAL spend for every one) and are going to just meet up on the day and cook all together.

Feeling the pinch, but appreciate Im not at the bottom of the totem pole. Worst case, the RCs get sold dont they.  

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BUDFORCE said:

Lurpack butter £4.50

Mccain frozen french fries, £4 for a 1.5kg bag.

Crazy prices.

But Bourbon whiskey hasnt really gone up much at all in the last 4 years, so I am soted.

Just go Aldi and get Norpak and their Skin on Fries. Job done

• Like 2

Again its the fuel and food costs that have hit us, our house is still fairly new (4 years old) and quite efficient.

my monthly Rc spending money has gone completely now though, not that it bothers me that much, ive got plenty of stuff anyways. I had a chance to finally be able to purchase a Xmaxx or a Udr but that would have meant more lipos and bigger repair bills (5th scale has never really been cheap, although i loved my Losi 5t.) so decided on a slash 4x4 now i can have 1 lot of spares to buy, my current lipos fitmaking it a compromise. 

Fuel has gone from £30 a week to £60 a week and food about £25-30 per week more. Soon adds up but we have our heads above water at the minute thankfully.

Now finally, yes there is proper turmoil in the government but im thankful for my covid jabs and the recent “help” with cost of living, both of which have really helped us get through.

If it has to come to it the Rc stuff would have to go, keeping the kids fed, watered, clothed with a roof over there heads im happy…..

we shouldn’t even get to the point of the NHS going on strike, they should be looked after, full stop!

again my experience and opinions…..

good luck to all struggling and worse off than us, it’s heartbreaking seeing the hardest hit…..

• Like 1

I started to buy extra food during the first lockdown  as I could see what was going on.  Saved a lot of money because of price rises.  Shame i couldn't do the same with gas/electric,  lol

And unless a miracle  happens, things are going to get a lot worse.