• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Racing Baja 5B Buggy Kits are back!

53HRA

Features (Petrol Version) :

• Unassembled 1/5th scale Off-Road Buggy
  • Ready for your 23-32cc RC engine
  • Ready for your electronics
  • Enclosed radio box
  • Baja desert racing body design
  • Adjustable HD shock absorbers
  • Monocoque chassis
  • Low CG for superior handling
  • Long travel suspension
  • Viscous torque oil-filled gear differential
  • All-terrain tires
  • Beadlock wheels with metal insert hubs
  • Aluminium rear shock tower
  • Hard plastic skid plates
  • Adjustable rear wing
  • Quick access to all critical maintenance points
  • Dual bellcrank steering
  • Cam type servo saver
  • Race spec Hex socket hardware
  • Gunmetal anodizing
  • Full set of rubber-sealed ball bearings

HPI-Racing-Re-Release-Baja-5-B-Buggy-Kit

Features (Electric Version)  :

• Ready for your 6S or 8S LiPo electronics
  • Streamlined HPI Baja 5B Flux body design
  • Adjustable motor mount
  • Adjustable HD shock absorbers
  • Monocoque chassis
  • Low CG for superior handling
  • Long travel suspension
  • Viscous torque oil-filled gear differential
  • All-terrain tires
  • Beadlock wheels with metal insert hubs
  • Aluminium rear shock tower
  • Hard plastic skid plates
  • Adjustable rear wing
  • Quick access to all critical maintenance points
  • Dual bellcrank steering
  • Cam type servo saver
  • Hex socket hardware
  • Gunmetal anodizing
  • Full set of rubber-sealed ball bearings
  • Enclosed receiver box

HPI-Racing-Re-Release-Baja-5-B-Buggy-Kit

View full news article

• Like 3

Great to see this back, especially with a leccy option. OK, it's only a roller, but there's plenty of combos available and that's all you'll need to purchase, not spend time tracking down motor mounts etc. 

• Like 1

I never knew I wanted a 1/5 buggy until I saw this..!! It looks awesome 🤩

I'm guessing this was just a petrol version when it was originally released whenever that was, I bet this would be crazy with a Castle xlx2/2028 800kv combo.!!

Anyone on here getting one or have an original.??

I could nearly be tempted by one of these as a project for next year as the prices for the kits aren't that bad, whether it'll stay that way remains to be seen. But I would probably go for the petrol version. 

Just hope it's better quality than the updated Savage I got 🙄

Would really like one as nearly bought an original. Circumstances changing meant I missed out but said one day.. 

Trouble is just started a large scale build I'm currently hiding the bills of from the other half so don't think I'd get away with another... 

.. but if she bought it me for xmas🤔🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 06/10/2022 at 19:29, .AJ. said:

I had the original Baja Flux a few years ago, it’s one RC I would definitely buy again 👌🏼 

Can it be run on 6s  or is 8s the best  also does it have any weak points.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, babylon said:

Not been here or touched my cars in absolute ages, Maybe years, You know how it is, So went to Modelsport site just to have a look and see whats changed while I've been away.

Saw that HPI had dragged out another car from the back catalogue, Saw the price and thought not bad for a Baja and it's a kit you can build yourself like the old days, Then looked down the list and realised it doesn't come with an engine or anything, It's a rolling chassis, It's 700 quid for a Baja rolling chassis.

Has the world gone mad, Even if the pound haddent tanked, Even if there was no cost of living crises, Even if I had lost all sense of perspective, Why would anyone think of handing over 700 quid for a Baja roller, I know it was an excuse used by some around here back in the day when King Motor and Roven turned up, But I'm pretty sure HPI have got there R&D back by now.  

haha best one i seen was on wheelspin someone asking which motor for it they replied this "https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/265981/😂 imagine some poor sucker new to ther hobby pays 700 for a roller then another 450 on a crappy 4 bolt motor and then seeing on ebay what u can get modded for £1100 beggars belief this hobby at times lol 😄

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

An Arrma 1/5 EXB roller is more than £700, so I don't think the Baja is that badly priced to be honest.. but hey, what do I know 😉😂

And there is how bad it's got, Something being seen as not bad value in respect to something else that is also horrendous value.

I think the only way for some to realise just how stupid the pricing has got is the next time you go to get one for this sort of money, Walk into a model shop, Don't use your credit card or your PayPal account, Do as I and many used to do in the old days, And count out £700 in cold hard cash onto the counter.

Only when people once again see what 700 quid in £10 notes looks like, And just how long it takes to count out 700 quid onto the counter will we start to get our perspective back.

• Like 1

I understand, but hasn't everything just got expensive nowadays ??

For me, yes I think the price is a lot but I also think there is a lot of other stuff in our hobby that has much worse value..!! 

So my point was just to say that I thought £699 for the new Baja was around the current market price of similar stuff and resonable vs other RC stuff..

6 hours ago, babylon said:

And there is how bad it's got, Something being seen as not bad value in respect to something else that is also horrendous value.

I think the only way for some to realise just how stupid the pricing has got is the next time you go to get one for this sort of money, Walk into a model shop, Don't use your credit card or your PayPal account, Do as I and many used to do in the old days, And count out £700 in cold hard cash onto the counter.

Only when people once again see what 700 quid in £10 notes looks like, And just how long it takes to count out 700 quid onto the counter will we start to get our perspective back.

I know everythings gone up, but thats life. Also. Wages HAVE gone up. Not to the extent maybe but they have increased (I appreciate as has the cost of living)

Also, taking into account inflation, Going into Beaties in the 90s and buying a Tamiya Kit and all the bits to get going seemed considerably more money back than then it would today? Obviously thats a longer time frame than since we last saw a Baja, but its inline with most other things? How much was a litre of unleaded when the Baja first made an appearance? A price of milk? A loaf of bread?

I remember pestering my Mum n Dad for stuff from Beaties as a kid and some of it was consider “astronomically expensive”. I dont think thats the case now if someone was to want a Tamiya Kit and all the gubbins?

Edited by Kpowell911
  • Like 1

8MM0cwN.png

2005 is when the Baja originally released. 

Realistically, the price is fine, ish - they didn't raise the price by much, it's just that the £ lost so much in value that it looks expensive. We can argue about the value of a Baja compared to other offerings - but the price very much is in line with what you'd expect. 

• Like 1

700 for a half decent roller? That's not expensive in my book, and I'm far from wealthy. 

I've had such a renaissance with my Baja this year, if I had the time and money I'd probably be very tempted to build a second one using the new kit!