• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The HPI Savage is back, again... again?

Nick

Far too rich for my blood.

Besides...I got two original ones, and these have nothing left to fix or upgrade.

Besides, for what is not that much of an improvement, the price is way too high even if I did have the cash. There is virtually no R&D required to for most of what they have done, so they ought to be able to rpice it quite keenly. They have gone high, in the hope they will create a 'premium' feel, where the folks who know the truck...know it isn't anywhere near as improved as most owners manage in the first year of ownership

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nitroholic said:

Far too rich for my blood.

Besides...I got two original ones, and these have nothing left to fix or upgrade.

Besides, for what is not that much of an improvement, the price is way too high even if I did have the cash. There is virtually no R&D required to for most of what they have done, so they ought to be able to rpice it quite keenly. They have gone high, in the hope they will create a 'premium' feel, where the folks who know the truck...know it isn't anywhere near as improved as most owners manage in the first year of ownership

This ^ 100% 👌. I would off loved to buy the new Flux but it would be a downgrade from my original Flux HP.

Shame as I had high hopes,  lets hope HPI pull it and make it right .

8 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Well, this news article has had more views and replies than any others have for a long while.

At least this proves that there is still some residual interest in HPI, even if, for some, it's just to slag them off. Maybe they do still have some goodwill left, although that seems to be running out.

I honestly think the best thing for the HPI management and design teams would be to simply look at the responses on RC forums, such as this one (not just the replies on the HPI Faceache and Twatter pages; they'll be mostly fanboys and not the videos made by youtubers who have received the products for free) and see how the RC-buying public feels about their products and the directions and decisions they're taking.

I think it would be a real eye-opener, would probably annoy and disappoint them, but would be beneficial in the long run... as long as they took the feedback on-board. Frankly, most of us are rooting for HPI and hope they can reach the sort of heights they were once at, but if we're honest with ourselves, that's looking increasingly unlikely. Especially when they seem to be making the same sort of errors that stung them in the past.

Very well put.  I am not loyal to any particular brand and own Traxxas, Arrma, Axial and even a HPI.  Each car has been bought for a specific purpose but with price an important factor.  I don't know in what world I would consider this new Savage with the current pricing.  It doesn't look great to work on with that sea of plastic and can think of lots of other models I would rather spend £629 on.  I just hope they see some sense and can reduce the price as it would be great to have more competition in the RC world.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

To me, that looks suspiciously like a rod-end, which means you'll still need to purchase Deletes!?

Screenshot_20210921-175639_Chrome

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Rod ends 100% from what I can see?

It also says theres new captured hingepins, but I cant anything stopping the front bumper mounts twisting and allowing the front upper hingepins to slide out??

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Rod ends 100% from what I can see?

It also says theres new captured hingepins, but I cant anything stopping the front bumper mounts twisting and allowing the front upper hingepins to slide out??

They'll just use the plastic covers that came with the sway bar kit, which screw  on and cover the end of the upper hinge pin. I doubt they will do anything different for the lower hinge pins. They'll be minimising new tooling costs. I also cant see this being any different in size to the original, judging by these pics.

25 minutes ago, locky said:

They'll just use the plastic covers that came with the sway bar kit, which screw  on and cover the end of the upper hinge pin. I doubt they will do anything different for the lower hinge pins. They'll be minimising new tooling costs. I also cant see this being any different in size to the original, judging by these pics.

It does look quite a bit different (new battery trays etc). Theyd have been better off designing and tooling  a single rear hub as opposed to a new battery tray. 

13 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Well, this news article has had more views and replies than any others have for a long while.

At least this proves that there is still some residual interest in HPI, even if, for some, it's just to slag them off. Maybe they do still have some goodwill left, although that seems to be running out.

I honestly think the best thing for the HPI management and design teams would be to simply look at the responses on RC forums, such as this one (not just the replies on the HPI Faceache and Twatter pages; they'll be mostly fanboys and not the videos made by youtubers who have received the products for free) and see how the RC-buying public feels about their products and the directions and decisions they're taking.

I think it would be a real eye-opener, would probably annoy and disappoint them, but would be beneficial in the long run... as long as they took the feedback on-board. Frankly, most of us are rooting for HPI and hope they can reach the sort of heights they were once at, but if we're honest with ourselves, that's looking increasingly unlikely. Especially when they seem to be making the same sort of errors that stung them in the past.

spot on bud, they really need to pay interest to the buyers and their opinions, for me it is a hard nope at that price as much as i would of loved to buy one, maybe 400 quid and i would probably buy one but if i want to use a savage there is always dads old one in the back room which i have very fond memories of and the mt2's.

the only dud that hpi produced for me was the brama b https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/10792

i hope hpi get back on their feet but im not sure they will with prices like this and their spares/upgrades were pretty costly to which pushed me to hobao etc

its a shame i had high hopes for a new savvy 😞

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Nitroholic said:

I spent less than 600 notes building my twin engined Savage....

Says it all....................................................

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, johnboybelfast said:

Absolutely love the savages what a truck brings me wayyy back iamglad to see hpi are still in operation love there cars . colours and quality 👌 just finished my own 

20210925_041110.jpg

ripmax owns them now.  did expect a few more releases from them since buying HPI

• Like 1

After seeing the price of the new hyper vs2 I think this is actually a decent price. Looks like everything is just getting more expensive across the board.