• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What you buying with £200?

Malachite

You've got a budget of £200 to spend on your first car........ What you buying?

Needs to include car and controller but not battery or charger in that cost.

Edited by Malachite

Hmmm....what would I buy.

Either.... Traxxas Rustler.

You budget only gets you the XL5 brushed version, but it's easy to upgrade later, durable, and there are upgrades, spares and parts by the bucketload. I'm not a big fan of Traxxas as a company, but you can;t argue

Some of the models have been around for years and provided a lot of fun for a lot of folk.

or...

FTX Outlaw Brushless.

Lots of satisfied owners and it even has it';s own thread in the forum for tips, advice and troubleshooting. Your budget would cover you for the Brushless version...or you could buy the cheaper brushed truck and upgrade it yourself.
The brushed truck is silly cheap at £125, and would leave you the cash to buy a Max10 ESC, and a plain can 3300KV ish motor to go with it. Or just buy the Brushless truck right off.

Both these would cope with most terrains, and give you enough grouind clearance without making handling too much of an issue.

• Like 2

I’m a massive fan of the Outlaw, with the caveat that the stock chassis and bumper are terrible and should really be changed right out of the box to avoid crushing disappointment!  

Budget £20 for that and it’s a great truck with a nice dose of semi-scale realism thrown in for good measure 👍

I race mine with work colleagues nearly every day, it gets a really hard life and just keeps coming back for more - seems to be more durable than their Carnage and Bugsta models. 

• Like 2

Slightly left field but How about an LC racing truggy? In theory it’s a 14th scale car but it runs 10th scale buggy wheels and has a pretty long chassis so probably sits somewhere between a 12th and 10th scale buggy in use. 

With the money left over from your £200 budget you could pick up some of the monster truck wheels and bumpers if you wanted to improve its bashing potential. 

https://www.dms-racing.com/models/models---all-types---off-road/off-road-models-all-wheel-drive/lc-racing---emb-tgh---1-14th-scale-brushless-4wd-almost-ready-to-run-truggy-with-servo-motor-and-esc-detail

Brushless triton cost more then £200,  I just bought a brushless losi 22s sct truck that is a very nice car for £227

51251326688_671ece1ca5_k.jpg

5 minutes ago, No brains said:

Brushless triton cost more then £200,  I just bought a brushless losi 22s sct truck that is a very nice car for £227

51251326688_671ece1ca5_k.jpg

Its £189 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/corally-triton-xp-2wd-monster-truck-1-10-brushless-rtr-444072

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Oke thats a good price, over here the brushless triton cost about 270 euro thats £231

Edited by No brains
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, walkbythesea said:

Not exactly a £200 model though is it…

Leaning more towards the Outlaw. I know it has its faults but I love the look of it.

May start brushed with a view to upgrading. Looks like there are some good value motors from China which may be worth tinkering with.......

4 minutes ago, Malachite said:

Leaning more towards the Outlaw. I know it has its faults but I love the look of it.

May start brushed with a view to upgrading. Looks like there are some good value motors from China which may be worth tinkering with.......

The stock brushed model really is very disappointing - but it gives you the budget to upgrade the chassis, bumper, cheap brushless combo and a few other bits and still have change from your £200

For my money it was the best looking “semi scale” model for the budget and simply looks awesome in motion, I’ve a whole bunch of different cars but my Outlaw remains my go to as it’s simply so much fun. 

13 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Not exactly a £200 model though is it…

But after my experience with an FTX (carnage), i should have waited and bought the Hyper instead. If you can get one pre-owned, mine was £250 after i bought the Max8 for it

There have been a couple on ebay lately in good condition that have gone for £100-£120

Edited by Scottyb