• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pinion Stuck on Motor Shaft (Not Rounded Grub Screw!)

Fuzzock

So whilst I was fixing my over enthusiastic driving at the weekend, I noticed that the Pinion had slipped and was not interfering with the motor mount (Made me wince considering its price!)

ACtC-3dzt_gkjPv-YXG3SEllp4pq9Fuo00QB2ibRZX-BZ3hqNE8x9BU90C8WY3mDFAArVx51MneqOvDplTcu_FqdhqL9jyQTEzc31UAjbvpIiuTUdmdWmWxqg926ZOCNDqycPXC1VXR4ZFECFK7VuJ9Q1gsLFw=w703-h937-no?authuser=0

So a simple adjust meant I thought, but sadly not. 😪

As the photo above shows, the grub screw came out easily enough, but the pinion is seized solidly onto the shaft. Even some eager screw driver levering (See the marks on the shaky photo above) didn't budge it.

So before I go and buy a butane torch to try attacking it that way, I wanted to make sure that this is the correct direction to go?

Ian...

My guess is, the pinion came adrift on the shaft and has pushed down into the motor mount. The grubscrew will have been rubbing on the shaft and probably burred it, jamming the pinion on the shaft in the process.

Butane might work, but get it too hot and you will ruin your motor.

If that fails, I would fire up the Dremel and cut the pinion, going in through the slot where you have access, cutting along aimiung to miss  the shaft. Once I was most of the way through....tap a screwdriver in and split the pinion

• Like 1

Safe way. Cut the pinion off. Take your time and it will be fine.

Not as safe way.  Heat it up it a tap and it should pop off. 

Not safe way.   Smack the crap out of it to free it up.  Not a good idea. 

Does the motor mount project oth sides of the motor? If so, you could try opening a vice to slightly larger gap than the motor, then suspend the motor with the mount resting on the vice jaws (or whatever you may have that’s not going to move easily, even a few bricks piled up would do the trick) and then gently tap the motor shaft with a punch and hammer.

if all goes well the motor will drop out leaving the mount and pinion resting on top of the vice.

Unfortunately the motor mount doesn't slide out or project beyond the diameter of the motor.

However I can possibly slide a couple of metal beams under the slides of the mount to extend its width and then position it in a vice to heat and tap the motor down out of the pinion. Will know on Sunday when I can head to my my parent's workshop for an extra pair of hands. (Can't order them off Amazon it seems 😛 )

Even if I had a pinion puller in this case it wouldn't work as the pinion is right up against the mount unfortunately.

In the end I suspect heat and a hammer will be the solution! 😁

Ian...

i would open the motor on the rear and then tap the shaft on the pinion side. The shaft should slide out of the pinion and front bearing...

meanwhile you can replace the motor bearings as it will be disassembled completely...

Success!

image.thumb.png.0aa2c0bce70e1a2feb31bdd737d593ce.png

So with an extra pair of hands I was able to do a combination of loosen the motor mount screws as much as possible (Half a turn ish), and use the motor mount to lever the pinion up, then loosen the motor mount screws a bit more and rinse and repeat.

Took a LOT of force to get off in the end, and I am still not overly sure what has caused it to get so stuck. Ah well, it is off now! 

Cheers for the advice all! 🙂

Ian...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

The one I had the most trouble with, I ended up using a round file to get it to slip on and off with ease. 

At least it's sorted. 

👍

Yeah I was thinking of doing similar if after a clean up it is still a tight fit.

Ian...

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

maybe some threadlock got pushed in by the grub screw and it seeped between pinion and motor shaft ?

That is top of my list. Interestingly the grub screw came out easily enough! 😆

Ian...

• Haha 1