• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ripped off on Ebay. any ideas

savagejoe

Hi not sure this is in the correct sub forum so sorry if it isn't but I need some help.

I have recently had a child well the missis has, so moneys been a bit tight. but I finally got to where I was able to afford a new rc.

so to ebay I went and found a very nice modified baja ss. it was on bid and the seller had 100% feedback and he owned a ebay store where he sold various other items non related to the hobby so I figured that it would be a safe buy. anyway so I won the item for £390 on the  17th of September paid within the hour. the postage stated royal mail and was £25. so a total bill of £415

It said in the add dispatch next day. so it came to Wednesday and still no dispatch message  so I emailed him and he said "sorry about the delay ill send it today" so the delivery service then just stated 48 hours no longer said royal mail. anyway at the moment someone is always In so there was no worries about it been missed so it comes to the following Monday 24th still no baja so I messaged him to which he said "whats your postcode mate it should have been with you ages ago" so I sent my postcode to him and never heard anything back for the rest of Monday so I sent him a message asking for the tracking number which he had already provided but it just didn't show up on my phone for some reason. he messaged me back around 11am on Tuesday with the tracking number and told me that it was out for delivery today which was the 25th with my Hermes.

so I checked myself on there tracking and it did in fact say out for delivery. so I just carried on at work around 5pm I had still not heard if it had been delivered so I checked the tracking and it said "we are un able to deliver you parcel please contact the sender" which I did straight away and he said he would look into it. so Wednesday past and I heard nothing from him so I messaged he asking if he had heard anything and he said " I am just on with them now mate ill let you know when I hear anything" so Friday comes ask him again to the same response. so I think right ill ring them myself couldn't get through so went on live chat and got told ( took less that 20mins to get and answer from them)that that on the 25th the item was damaged so was destroyed and I need to take it up with the sender. at which point I was a bit peeved to say the least. so I opened a refund case with him.

heard nothing from him until Friday the 5th when ebay messaged me say that it had been closed. so I rang them for a reason and they said that he has provided a tracking number which states that it had been in fact delivered. so I checked while still on the phone to them and still said the same we are un able to deliver you package message so I said that it didn't say anything about been delivered on the tracking number so she checked and she got the same message. she was as puzzled as me so she put me on hold and looked into it and said that he has provided a new tracking number which does say that something has been delivered on the 24th of September to Bradford north. which is where I live. but there's no address on the tracking results and I knew that it wasn't for my address. (don't understand how that makes sense to them when he gave me the my Hermes tracking number on the 25th) anyway she said that If I contact royal mail and get them to give me an official email which states that it does not correspond to my address they can give me a refund. so I rang royal mail and I got a lovely lady who tried her best but said unfortunately due to data protection she can not give me any information in writing. (she did tell me that it did not correspond to my address though). she also said that if ebay ring them she can tell them that its not for my address so I went back to ring ebay and she said that she cant ring them. so I am now stuck about what to do  

any ideas?    

Unfortunately ebay don't see it that way once item has left the seller ebay will favour seller as its out of sellers control once he can prove item has left. Not helpful for OP!

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

No to buyer having to sort it out. RM broke a hifi i sent already broke. But rm bent the speaker ports. The buyer tried to get them to insurance but they wouldn't deal with the buyer. Only the seller since they have the receipt. 

I just gifted the amount for new speaker port instead of going through that. I hope its sorted soon mate. You'll just have to keep drilling ebay that by not checking the evidence you've found. (Calling whoever to see your addy wasnt sent anything" that its them ebay allowing you to get shafted. WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT IT. Sorry sir its policy.. RIGHT MANAGER NOoooooW. 

Destroyed though? Or stolen. 

The seller is able to claim from hermes as they are accepting liability. The issue is he's not willing to refund me. No idea why as I have not at any point moaned just asked what's going on. My issue is if ebay came to the conclusion that it has been sent then surely PayPal will. 

I have never seen the baja so I don't know if there was batterys in it and I would guess no one is dumb enough to send fuel in the post. 

What gets me is hermes admit that the package has been destroyed but yet it was able to be deliverd with another company. 

Unfortunately ebay don't see it that way once item has left the seller ebay will favour seller as its out of sellers control once he can prove item has left. Not helpful for OP!

I would open “item not received” and work through the process, it doesn’t matter if it’s tracked or not the point is he hasn’t got it, the seller purchased the postage, the seller refunds the buyer and the seller try’s to recover the cost off the courier.

Out of interest how would you do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would open “item not received” and work through the process, it doesn’t matter if it’s tracked or not the point is he hasn’t got it, the seller purchased the postage, the seller refunds the buyer and the seller try’s to recover the cost off the courier.

Out of interest how would you do it.

The same as above however I had a situation the same and like the OP ebay closed the case and said the sellers obligation ends when the courier has picked it up as long as the seller provides proof he sent it eBay will not refund or make seller refund. Luckily I only lost out on £28.

Check the tracking numbers are the same first off, ask for Royal Mail fraud prevention to get involved because something’s not right.

Ask Hermes to provide proof the parcel was destroyed, then forward it to EBay .

It may take some time this one.

Items can go missing my daughters order went walkies when it’s scanned it’s should also be geotagged so they can actually give the location that it was scanned at.

This helped in the recovery of my daughters parcel.

• Like 1

Personally if I had paid by paypal i would call them and leave it to them to sort it out, people pay paypal fees so they can receive the protection when things go wrong

Never ever open an eBay case, they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Open a PayPal case yourself, then ring them and explain what has happened.

Don't let them open the case for you, because they won't put enough information in it.

PayPal should sort it out for you, they are generally a lot more competent and understanding.

Can you get the parcel company to write a letter stating the item has been destroyed? That is proof it hasn't been delivered, they are taking full responsibility for it not having being delivered.

That's all eBay should have asked for and needed, they don't need anything relating to your address, that's crap.

The fact that the parcel hasn't been delivered is enough for Paypal to refund you your payment if the seller can not provide proof of delivery, regardless of what may have happened to the parcel. I bought an RC recently and didn't receive it. I contacted the seller regularly and got nowhere with him. I then actually rang Paypal who opened a case immediately, and 3 weeks later I was refunded my payment in full. If you didn't receive the delivery then the seller can't provide a signature. Open and shut case my friend. Phone Paypal. Ebay are useless.

Edited by Only4Fun

First thing you need to get clarified is how the item was sent.

If it was posted through MyHermes...there should be confirmation of the parcel status...and you want that confirmed. Don;t waste time asking Ropyal Mail to confirm your postcode.....that's a waste of their time and yours. The sender will have supplied information to the carrier when he posted the item. That would incluide a postcode and street name/number. A P{ostcode applies to a bunch of houses...not just one...and a courier delivcering a parcel uses the whole address as well as the postcode to find the delivery point. In addition, the postcode database is widely available and most carriers ask you to input a postcode and house number...and use the database to look up the info and give you a choice of options to match.

Additionally...when you buy off E-Bay YOU as buyer supply an address. They post to that address.

That leaves limited options.

1) You gave a wrong address, and Hermes cannot deliver. The item would get returned to sender.

2) The sender put the wrong address ....another undeliverable item and it's returned to sender.

3) The sender got all the addresses right, and Hermes lost the item.

As mentioned above...forget E-Bay, forget chasing postcodes and carriers. PayPal case is the way to go....Assuming hte seller is on the level and not stupid, he will have declared a true value for the goods and got insurance to cover it. You claim through PayPal...you get a refund so you can go buy a Baja and get out there and have fun. He can then claim off the carrier and all is well. Everyone happy...except MyHermes...who lost the thing in the first place.

If he's not on the level or scrimped on the insurance...you get you money back. He gets nothing.

If I sell something and have to post it....I would make 100% sure I had full value insurance, and to be honest...I would NOT use Hermes. There are better carriers out there. MyHermes are cheap. But you get what you pay for.

he sent it through Hermes and the have stated that it has been destroyed for whatever reason. but when I opened a case he gave ebay a new tracking number that isn't my address and that was enough for them to close the case.

I have since opened a case with pay pall and they are dealing with it but I just don't want the same thing to happen again. ebay even read my messages and clearly sees him give me the Hermes tracking number on the 25th and yet the new tracking through royal mail says delivered 24th. ebay is a joke.

Its my own fault anyway I jinxed it by buying parts for it before it arrived.   

What evidence do you have-

2 separate tracking numbers with different dates.

Verbal evidence the package was destroyed by My Hermes ( you need written proof) parcel weight, time it was posted and address posted to.

He asked for your post code so he could generate another tracking number through RM (but I suspect he did this and posted a fake one before contacting you about your post code so it could show in messages - ask RM fraud prevention for assistance on this tracked posted item time weight address.

When you have all the information if it’s pointing towards a con job then you can forward that to eBay and to PayPal to help.

Hope it gets sorted for you but it’s not your fault to me the seller sounds like a shister.

18 hours ago, savagejoe said:

he sent it through Hermes and the have stated that it has been destroyed for whatever reason. but when I opened a case he gave ebay a new tracking number that isn't my address and that was enough for them to close the case.

I have since opened a case with pay pall and they are dealing with it but I just don't want the same thing to happen again. ebay even read my messages and clearly sees him give me the Hermes tracking number on the 25th and yet the new tracking through royal mail says delivered 24th. ebay is a joke.

Yes they are and one of many reasons why I dont buy items from ebay unless I absolutely have to. I left neg feedback for someone selling me some car sills that were considerably below the quality stated. They deleted it because the seller complained. No explanation offered by ebay due to confidentiality. What confidentiality? I was the one who wrote the feedback. When I pointed out that by deleting neg. feedback the item is falsely represented and could have saved me from buying it in the first place, they declined to answer.

I really hope you get this sorted out. To me it sounds like the seller never sent it at all, he could've posted an empty envelope in order to get a tracking number. 

If they send it to the correct address though then you can show pictures of the dirt. If they send it to the wrong address they are still culpable.

The issue could come from the sender claiming that the receiver is just picturing the dirt to scam them. This is why the system is flawed,